First time listening to the entire Chinese Democracy album - WOW

You've inspired me to give Chinese another chance so I'm listening to it now. This is what's great about talking to other fans and broadening your knowledge. I bought my coworker the greatest hits album because she received a Gibson Les Paul as a gift and had never heard of Slash. What?!! But then what do I know? I never listened to Chinese D all the way through. 

What I've been listening to lately is

Chinese Democracy

Shackler's Revenge

Scraped 

Riad n the Bedouins

Better

IRS

There was a Time

that is a killer first side. 

Then not sure how the rest would work out but

This I Love

Madagascar

Street of Dreams

If the World

Prostitute

Sorry

Catcher in the Rye

Edited by wasted
Perfection

I can't help but think the original post is fake and the intention behind this thread is just to get a reaction. A thread intended to get a cheap pop for CD. I have no way of proving it and sure maybe my post right now is a cuntish post but I'd be willing to bet the original poster has listend to CD hundreds of times and just wants to remind everyone how "great" the CD era was.   

Let's be honest I'm not the only one thinking this. Someone who takes the time to join a GnR forum in 2016 claims they are just listening to CD now for the first time? Sorry not buying it. 

Edited by Bono
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bono said:

I can't help but think the original post is fake and the intention behind this thread is just to get a reaction. A thread intended to get a cheap pop for CD. I have no way of proving it and sure maybe my post right now is a cuntish post but I'd be willing to bet the original poster has listend to CD hundreds of times and just wants to remind everyone how "great" the CD era was.   

Let's be honest I'm not the only one thinking this. Someone who takes the time to join a GnR forum in 2016 claims they are just listening to CD now for the first time? Sorry not buying it. 

I can't say if the original poster was fishing for a reaction or not, could very well be, but I'd be willing to believe it is honest until proven otherwise.

There is probably a lot of people in the world who lost interest in Guns in the '90s and all the reunion talk brought some interest back. At least enough start looking around online and checking out the ugly step-sister album. Plus some people who are only casual music fans who are now getting interested in Guns. Not to mention the people who were giant fans of Guns back in the day and who hated Axl because he was the big evil in the GnR world and never even bothered to give it a chance.  

Lots of reasons for someone to never listen to ChiDem then suddenly listen to it. If you suddenly have an appreciation for a record what better place to talk about it than a fan forum of the band?

On 4/27/2016 at 1:45 AM, JohnnyGtar said:

I just finished listening to the Chinese Democracy album for the first time. I'm impressed. Bigtime.

Seein' as I hooked up Richard with a guitar that he used on that album, I should have listened to it long ago. Yes, I feel stupid for waiting so long.

Kickass record. There are some brilliant moments on it.

It's a solid record, not perfect, not without its flaws, but very much the sort of record I would expect from Axl Rose given the context of its history. Chuck Klosterman did a very good job summing that up in his review upon its initial release.

I have to admit I find myself returning to it far less than I used to, and some tracks i once really liked don't stand out as much (haven't listened to Riad in ages), but I am generally fond of it.

10 hours ago, Bono said:

I have still not listened to CD yet, i have checked out a couple of live songs, Sorry is pretty good and i quite liked the Riad one but it seems that it may take multiple listens for me to get 'into' them.

I am trying slowly but surely to give it a chance.:shrugs:Not ready to do a whole nuGuns album yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chinese Democracy
  • Oh My God
  • Better
  • Scraped
  • I.R.S.
  • The Blues
  • Going Down
  • Sorry
  • There Was A Time
  • Silkworms (live)
  • Shackler's Revenge
  • Catcher In The Rye
  • If The World
  • Riad N' The Bedouins
  • Madagascar
  • This I Love
  • Prostitute
Edited by Silent Jay

On 5/22/2016 at 0:11 AM, Bono said:

I can't help what you believe or don't believe. I'm not lying.

Some good ideas and great solos from Buckethead, but it suffers badly from overproduction and the frankenstein-ish process of stitching together thousands of different takes from different band members. Bumblefoot should never have been on this album and many of the older demos for the songs sound better.

The songs need some grit, balls, sleaze...whatever you want to call it. It's clear that Duff and Slash were the "guns" in GnR. Where are the heavy riffs in this album? It's not really even a guitar driven album like AFD and Illusions. 

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

Some good ideas and great solos from Buckethead, but it suffers badly from overproduction and the frankenstein-ish process of stitching together thousands of different takes from different band members. Bumblefoot should never have been on this album and many of the older demos for the songs sound better.

The songs need some grit, balls, sleaze...whatever you want to call it. It's clear that Duff and Slash were the "guns" in GnR. Where are the heavy riffs in this album? It's not really even a guitar driven album like AFD and Illusions. 

CD, Better and I.R.S. are guitar driven songs. In my opinion.

On 5/22/2016 at 2:11 AM, Bono said:

Exactly.

Let the lunatics play their game, though.  It's borderline crazy but entertaining.  CD is still 99 cents at Dollar Tree.  :laugh:

Oh.for.fuck's.sake.  I joined mygnrforum in 2016 because GnR got back together in 2016. Is that so hard to believe? After Slash and Duff left, I lost interest. Why did I finally listen to Chinese Democracy album?  Because I checked out some live NuGuns stuff on YouTube (YES IN 2016) and wondered what the album sounded like. 

I don't know how someone equates the year I joined this forum with my opinion of a GnR album. Sheesh.

Edited by JohnnyGtar
  • Like 2

Forums are all about opinions, ill respect everyones as everyone is entitled to one.

But for me.. CD is a blabbering mess from start to finish. It doesnt sound remotely like a GNR album, not one song from that album ever gets played on radio here in Aus.. Ever. Amd the reason for that is.. there is simply better music to be played than playing this mess. There is better GNR songs full stop from the other 3 main albums that the general public want to hear. OR heaven forbid.. other artists with better songs than anything on CD easily.

It doesnt sound like GNR because essentially its 1 member out of 5 on the album. If Axl wasnt on the album and say... steven Adler was and he owned the rights to the name.. does that make it Guns n Roses???? No it doesnt.

Its Axl's solo work with a heap of guys who came and left and its a mishmash of shit that in the end doesnt sound good in anyway (to me)...

The album is largely unpopular for a reason.. Its just not that good compared to AFD or Illusions.. or a number of other artists.

just my opinion of course. ;)

• Like 1

This album is not going to be revisited. This is not some masterpiece that people some how overlooked. The entire album was released for free on MySpace. It was one of the most anticipated Rock albums for years, people heard it, and hated the fuck out of it. 

The only decent thing about this whole disastrous Chinese Democracy era was the demo of Catcher in the Rye. The best song(or version of it) wasn't even in the damn record. One of the worst albums of the 00's.

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 1

To me CD is the best album of the 00s and Axl worked to make it GNR and struggled through all that. At the very least it's GNR. I just love the blend of material like on UYI and the 90s rock influences. When I want a lift Chi dem and Scraped are there, mid afternoon you can drift away to There was a Time and Catcher. Shackler's has that YCBM cutting loose and going crazy vibe. If the World is cocktails on a speedboat. Better is a great combo of crunchy rock and sublime ballad. Riad is the really fast punk one with kickass lyrics and vocals. Sorry is fascinating to me, so beautiful but so arrogant at the same time, just love that shit. IRS can be really cathartic but some of the guitar is really mellow and Zeppelin. This I Love is like primal scream therapy set to music, stand out solo. Madagascar is inspiring to me, it's the pinnacle of the album. Prostitute again is kind of fascinating, kind of awesome and sad at the same time. It kind of makes me reflect back on the rest of the album. The tracks really work at makiing you feel as if you are on this winding emotional journey, whereas UYI was more schizophrenic and AFD is more a rabble rouser. Each has there place. But in the 00s CD did it for me. 

• Like 4

The negativity towards CD is really sad. SOME people hated it, but there are fans who do like it very much. And they are going to see CD as a GnR album. No amount of moaning about how it's not a GnR album is not going to change that. To some it will never be a GnR album, but that's not some universal truth. So I guess we are going to go around this forever, people bitching about the album and other people expressing their enjoyment of it.

• Like 1