Question: Guns N' Roses - Live At The Ritz 1988

The answer is probably know by many GN'R fans except me ;D

Question: Guns N' Roses - Live At The Ritz 1988 - at the end, during Rocket Queen, Axl pulls an angry face and throws the microphone not into the audience, but to the side of the stage, possibly at someone. What was it all about?

Edited by star

4 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

He threw his mic at the monitor man because of sound problems, he missed and it hit someone else. 

Theres an interview about it on YouTube . 

Link? I've never seen it and can't find it.

Axl: You see on that live MTV thing, everything was pro except this monitor man who didn't have a clue what was going on. The crowd's hearing the show, everything's great, we're hearing spaceships' landing onstage, backwards echoes, screaming feedback, and the drummer doesn't know what, Steven doesn't know what's going on. Finally I tried to nail the monitor man with my microphone and my tour manager moved and I nailed him [laughs]. That was messy. But it leaves for some excitement [MTV Headbanger's Ball, September 1988].

a-4-d.com is your friend. [http://www.a-4-d.com/t1277-1988-02-02-the-ritz-new-york-city-usa#3789]

Edited by SoulMonster
Added link.
  • Like 1

If you watch the uncut video or the radio version, there's a moment before they come back out for the encore (Rocket Queen) where Axl's asking for the monitor man to get off the stage, too. ETA: here's the video. At about 54:30, there's someone fussing with the equipment on Duff's side, and then Axl's gesturing for someone on the other side of the stage to go away.

It's so funny...if you watch or read interviews from 1988 the band members all seemed to think that the Ritz gig was awful. There's one interview I remember because Duff actually called it "frightful," LOL, and used it as an example of how they sometimes still had bad shows. And yet it's become perhaps the most iconic gig from the AfD era. Even when they thought they were bad, they were electric...

Edited by stella
  • Like 1