Your favorite GN'R gig of all time?

These are a few of mine and ones that haven't been mentioned yet.

Toronto 6/8/91 - One of the most energetic shows, they were flying that night. Awesome set list, one of the first times "You Ain't The First" was played live.

Weedsport NY 8/9/88 - The crowd was insane. There was a fight at almost the exact same spot of Rocket Queen as the '91 St. Louis show. The set list was nothing special, but executed precisely.

St. Louis 7/2/91 - Yeah, yeah, yeah, the riot show. They were not in top form by any means, Slash in paticular seemed to be really lit, but it's still an iconic performance. Personally I think Dust N' Bones was the best live version they ever did.

• Like 2

Well if I had to omit two times I've seen GnR live (one of that being in 2010 when Axl's voice was the best since the 90's nad seconds time in 2012) then I'd probably go with Paris 1992!! It was everything Guns was and will be with Axl's best voice ever in form as well as whole bands playing..!!

Chicago '92 is the unrivaled winner for me - Axl seemed so depressed and tortured (God, that rant before LALD), it always makes me cringe, but I kinda like it lol. Also the band made some of their best performances and had that killer energy, not to mention the only pro-shot performance of Coma being from that show. I love it!

Honorable mentions are Indiana '91, Philly '91 ("You are a stupid motherfucker!" :lol:), Roxy '86, Marquee '87, Iowa '88 etc.

4 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Anything post '93 is not even a GNR show, let alone the best GNR show ...

Nothing will ever beat the 4 Forum shows in August '91.  Best lineup, best setlists, best energy, best everything !

I attended 2 of those 4 shows .They were both epic.Hearing so much new material for first time .They played for 3 hours both shows.Skid Row was the opener.Only downer was wait between sets.One of the nights I remember the energy in the crowd was low because it took nearly 3 hours between sets.Just about my whole section sat and watched the show because it was so late by time they took stage.But the band  sounded great and had amazing energy

2 hours ago, nonok said:

Chicago '92 is the unrivaled winner for me - Axl seemed so depressed and tortured (God, that rant before LALD), it always makes me cringe, but I kinda like it lol. Also the band made some of their best performances and had that killer energy, not to mention the only pro-shot performance of Coma being from that show. I love it!

Honorable mentions are Indiana '91, Philly '91 ("You are a stupid motherfucker!" :lol:), Roxy '86, Marquee '87, Iowa '88 etc.

Which Indiana show?  There were two in 91.

17 hours ago, CandyGenius said:

Paris 1992.

My parents let my brother and I watch it on PPV. We recorded it and I pretty much wore that tape out.

I bought tickets for the two of us for one of the upcoming shows. I'm sure that one will take first place then.

Is this on DVD anywhere? Like you, my og VHS is old.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I cannot believe people are choosing nugnr shows haha. People, people, you don't have to. That era is over. We can all now rejoice and concentrate on blotting it from our consciousness.

I've noticed you come to shit on just about any topic you post in. At least you're consistent! No chance in hell anyone could have a differing opinion I guess.

My favorite shows were the nugnr shows I saw in 2011, 2012 and 2014 because I saw them live. Much better in person than a low quality VHS recording of a random show in 91, not to take away anything from the original band, and not meaning any sort of comparison between the two.

Paris 92, Ritz 88, Rio 91, RAR 2006 and just to tickle some feathers, bridge school, because I loved the intimacy and I think it's a good cause. 

Just my opinion!

Edited by Sprite

3 minutes ago, Sprite said:

I've noticed you come to shit on just about any topic you post in. At least you're consistent! No chance in hell anyone could have a differing opinion I guess.

My favorite shows were the nugnr shows I saw in 2011, 2012 and 2014 because I saw them live. Much better in person than a low quality VHS recording of a random show in 91, not to take away anything from the original band, and not meaning any sort of comparison between the two.

Paris 92, Ritz 88, Rio 91, RAR 2006 and just to tickle some feathers, bridge school, because I loved the intimacy and I think it's a good cause. 

Just my opinion!

Low quality VHS? Some chap on the internet remastered up, the Ritz show for instance and it looks fantastic. Regardless of that, shows like Paris PPV and Deer Creek can never be thought of as 'low quality' unless you have a low generation copy.

I've seen nugnr twice (2006/2012) and it is pitiful watching that group and comparing it to the 1985 - 93 band.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThermoNuclearWarrior said:

These are a few of mine and ones that haven't been mentioned yet.

Toronto 6/8/91 - One of the most energetic shows, they were flying that night. Awesome set list, one of the first times "You Ain't The First" was played live.

Weedsport NY 8/9/88 - The crowd was insane. There was a fight at almost the exact same spot of Rocket Queen as the '91 St. Louis show. The set list was nothing special, but executed precisely.

St. Louis 7/2/91 - Yeah, yeah, yeah, the riot show. They were not in top form by any means, Slash in paticular seemed to be really lit, but it's still an iconic performance. Personally I think Dust N' Bones was the best live version they ever did.

Whoo hoo- Weedsport!!! I was part of that insane crowd! 3 weeks shy of my 18th birthday... Absolutely incredible vibe during that show. The air is always electric before a GnR show, but this was just something on a whole other level. I wish I could feel that again...

20 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Whoo hoo- Weedsport!!! I was part of that insane crowd! 3 weeks shy of my 18th birthday... Absolutely incredible vibe during that show. The air is always electric before a GnR show, but this was just something on a whole other level. I wish I could feel that again...

You're lucky to have witnessed that first hand. You'll never experience a Gn'R show or any concert like that in today's day and age. Everyone is too disconnected with their phones and shit to live in the moment.

Were you anywhere near the front when that fight broke out during Rocket Queen? Or have any other war stories from that show?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ThermoNuclearWarrior said:

You're lucky to have witnessed that first hand. You'll never experience a Gn'R show or any concert like that in today's day and age. Everyone is too disconnected with their phones and shit to live in the moment.

Were you anywhere near the front when that fight broke out during Rocket Queen? Or have any other war stories from that show?

Yes- my gf at the time and I made it to the 2nd row. We were over on the left side- in front of Duff basically. The big fight was about 50' to our right. The crowd surged big time to the left when all that was going on. I remember thinking "don't fall down, because that would not be good"! (Just a few shows later would be the Donnington tragedy- so it was more dangerous than I realized at the time). I still remember Axl pointing and yelling "Security!!!". I almost got in a fight myself. Some dude was trying to get in front of us, and started pushing my gf hard in the back. I turned around and was about to start swinging, but he looked surprised and said sorry or something and took his act somewhere to the right. 

But everyone was just so fired up for GnR. It was just incredible. You're right- that's a thing of the past in the cell phone age. On the one hand, it gives us dozens of different videos to watch from every show, and that's cool. But it definitely kills some of the energy at shows big time...

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Low quality VHS? Some chap on the internet remastered up, the Ritz show for instance and it looks fantastic. Regardless of that, shows like Paris PPV and Deer Creek can never be thought of as 'low quality' unless you have a low generation copy.

I've seen nugnr twice (2006/2012) and it is pitiful watching that group and comparing it to the 1985 - 93 band.

I'm sorry you wasted your money.

3 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Which Indiana show?  There were two in 91.

Were there? I didn't know, even though I'd looked all over for Indiana gigs because I've always been interested in seeing Axl perform in his "homeland". I was talking about the 5/29/1991 show. Could you tell me when the other one was?

15 minutes ago, nonok said:

Were there? I didn't know, even though I'd looked all over for Indiana gigs because I've always been interested in seeing Axl perform in his "homeland". I was talking about the 5/29/1991 show. Could you tell me when the other one was?

The night before, 05/28....I don't believe there is any video or audio of this show out there.  If it is it's rare.  

Let's see 

Osaka 2009 (probably the best Axl's voice has been in terms of rawness)

Rock Am Ring 2006

Tokyo 92

The Ritz 88

Last show with Slash: Argentina 93 (love the rendition of You Ain't the First)

4/8/16 Vegas (i was there, band and crowd were great)

6/5/13 Buffalo (my first show) 

Electric Factory 2012 (really good rasp from Axl here)

Edited by KiernanProud