Izzy Stradlin - Walkin' Song

auad

10 hours ago, Frey said:

Actual discussion about the song:

I think the song is... okay. I like it, but it's nothing special (though I really enjoy the end part). 

The lyrics are terrible (sky is blue and trees are green, really?) and I don't think it's a stretch to say some lines might be referring to Guns/the reunion.

Like most of Izzy's solo work it feels like a skeleton that could be the base for something great, if Slash, Axl and Duff got their hands on it.

i also find the song OK, nothing really special i guess.

but a good one! hopefully its a grower...

about the lyrics can you help with them? I tried to write down what i understood but i missed a lot of lines!

thanks!

===

WALK'N SONG

Yes I am walking down the street

Yeah I am walking down the street

Walking past the concrete wall

I hear (...) barking out (?)

I keep walking down the street

Got no place I need to be

Sky is blue, the trees are green

So I keep walking down the street

Walking past (...)

(...)

Yeah I am walking down the street

Future's just a mistery

Past is just your history

So keep on walking (...) 

Yes I am good today

Tomorrow's better if you find a (your?) way

Yes I am good today

Tomorrow's better if you find a (your?) way

Yes I am good today

Tomorrow's better if you find your way

Yes I am good today

Tomorrow's better when you find your way

Edited by ludurigan

@ludurigan, the lyrics. posted by pacu44 in another thread.

Walkin' Song by Izzy Stradlin

Yes, I am walkin down the street
yea I am walkin down the street

walkin past a concrete wall
I hear a big dog barkin there
So I keep walkin down the street
Sky is blue, the trees are green

Walkin past a chain link fence
Couple big dogs barkin at
Yea I am walkin down the street
Future's just a mystery
Past is just your history
So keep on walkin', I'll just see

Yes I am good today, tomorrows better, if you find a way
Yes I am good today, tomorrows better when you find a way

Edited Saturday at 3:30 PM by pacu44

46 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

@ludurigan, the lyrics. posted by pacu44 in another thread.

Walkin' Song by Izzy Stradlin

Yes, I am walkin down the street
yea I am walkin down the street

walkin past a concrete wall
I hear a big dog barkin there
Sky is blue, the trees are green

Walkin past a chain link fence
Couple big dogs barkin at
Yea I am walkin down the street
Future's just a mystery
Past is just your history
So keep on walkin', I'll just see

Yes I am good today, tomorrows better when you find a way

Edited Saturday at 3:30 PM by pacu44

THANKS!

:headbang:

It's nothing new Izzy is always putting out records and half the songs to me seem to be about Axl, GNR, or some sort of uncompromising off beat unstadium ethos. He wants everything fair or he has to get on his motorbike and ride off into the desert.

• Like 1

Re the lyrics:- I thought the ending was "tomorrows better, if you're far away" but I think pacu might be right on second listen :)

For actual song discussion I think Taz is without a doubt the driving force behind the song. Someone else already mentioned his drums being tribal, and I'd said the same thing on Twitter - he really does stand out on this one. When I first played it for my missus she did a terrible impression of Marilyn Manson singing "Beautiful People", and I'm sure someone else here made the same reference, but bollocks to them I think Taz is phenomenal on this one ;)

I think the lyrics are typical Izzy, so no complaints. "Skies are blue, the trees are green" may not be the most prolific words ever penned, but it's a catchy tune and it's easy to relate to. Stick this on my iPhone and I'll feel like a badass walking down my local high street :headbang:

I don't know if it's related to the GNR reunion. Probably a few lines which Izzy knows we'll all over-analyze, but I doubt he cares one way or the other. I think the most significant lyric is "I'll keep walking down the street" .... I take it to mean that Izzy will just keep going about his usual shit and see what happens, carrying on as-per, regardless of the big dogs barking - whether the big dog is Axl, Slash, Duff, the media or us fans.

I think the most likely scenario though is that Izzy went for a walk, saw a few dogs barking, blue skies and green trees.... and just wrote and released a killer tune about it in no time at all :rofl-lol:

• Like 2

Izzy rages against the Machine aka Guns N Roses. Rage still used the power grid and Izzy still lives off GNR. But there is still this integrity or quirkiness to respect. The art is pure. They are boosting car batteries to survive. 

Of there's a lot of work and business stuff involved in being a stadium band. Axl, Slash and Duff are the Gene and Paul of GNR, admittedly not on the same level of  douchenozzleness. But they have handled business of their own careers. Izzy is Ace, kind of sort of not really too eccentric to really be a rock celebrity. Peter and Steven. 

There's a kind of fluid danger to

this track that's on AFD that neither Axl or Slash truly capture. It's of a subtle ironic jab at his buddies. Hopefully it will motivate them to their job and make a 21st century Back in Black for the metal masses. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wasted said:

There's a kind of fluid danger to this track that's on AFD that neither Axl or Slash truly capture

exactly

you listen to the song and it sounds like every other izzy song

nothing really special on this one

(though he has at least some 20 or 30 special tracks in his catalog)

(and the tribal-voodoo drumming and the groove of the song are great)

but there is this "kinda fluid danger" you mentioned -- loved the words

its hrd to explain and to capture that

and like you said you dont really find much of that on slash and axl solo stuff

it appears here and there but never so clearly and so strong as it does on pretty much every izzy song

i guess you nailed it

18 hours ago, downliner said:

For actual song discussion I think Taz is without a doubt the driving force behind the song. Someone else already mentioned his drums being tribal, and I'd said the same thing on Twitter - he really does stand out on this one. When I first played it for my missus she did a terrible impression of Marilyn Manson singing "Beautiful People", and I'm sure someone else here made the same reference, but bollocks to them I think Taz is phenomenal on this one ;)

I think the lyrics are typical Izzy, so no complaints. "Skies are blue, the trees are green" may not be the most prolific words ever penned, but it's a catchy tune and it's easy to relate to. Stick this on my iPhone and I'll feel like a badass walking down my local high street :headbang:

I don't know if it's related to the GNR reunion. Probably a few lines which Izzy knows we'll all over-analyze, but I doubt he cares one way or the other. I think the most significant lyric is "I'll keep walking down the street" .... I take it to mean that Izzy will just keep going about his usual shit and see what happens, carrying on as-per, regardless of the big dogs barking - whether the big dog is Axl, Slash, Duff, the media or us fans.

I think the most likely scenario though is that Izzy went for a walk, saw a few dogs barking, blue skies and green trees.... and just wrote and released a killer tune about it in no time at all :rofl-lol:

yeah nice drumming!

===

about the verse "sky is blue/trees are green"

it seems to be a way of saying that "everything looks good/everything is in its place"

remember the "partially cloudy" song?

on that song izzy sings "today is partially cloudy and so am I"

which probably is him saying that "nothing is really good today/things are out of place"

===

the "big dogs" thing seem to be a reference to the media, music business people, us (everyone that keeps barking at him to do this and do that etc)

===

about the verse "got no place i need to be / (...) so i keep walking down the street"

this seems to be a direct reference to the threeunion

it seems to be izzy saying that he wont be part of it (why? he doesnt really say it!)

so he got no place he needs to be 

===

about "Past is just your history / So keep on walkin', I'll just see"

it seems to be another reference to the threeunion

it seems to be Izzy saying that he is got a past with these guys, but for now thats just that, its "past", its "history"

so he will "keep on walking" and he "will see" (what happens?)

it seems to be izzy saying that he is not in GNR right now but he is not closing the doors to it ("we will see what happens")

===

"Yes I am good today, tomorrows better, if you find a way"

now that really seems to be a reference to GNR

it seems to be izzy saying "I am good today" (out of i) but it will be "better" if "you" (just axl? or maybe axl, slash and duff?) "find a way" to get him back onboard

===

great thing about it is that this song could also be about a girl or whatever!

:headbang:

• Like 1

I don't think Izzy really belongs in a stadium band. Keith has kind of done that hypocritical role to death. 

I personally like the idea of Guns as being a stadium but with Axl pushing at the limits of what you do with stadium band. Not just falling into the easy career of repeating stuff. Taking Izzy to a more mainstream audience is a cool thing but Izzy must see it like he has to conpromise too much. He doesn't want his songs turned into metal anthems. Izzy doesn't translate in stadiums?

So I don't think there should be bitterness about it. If it's money they should clear that up. I think he never considered it and was never asked. 

It's a shame they can't collab but maybe the flavors are stronger apart. 

I think Axl has really established what GNR was on AFD to CD. It's collaborative. But how do you draw songs like Time Gone By, Fall to Pieces, There was a Time together? I guess answer is a flat one style fits all. 

It's got to the point where GNR can reinvent the album by just having Izzy solo or Slash solo songs on there with Axl singing little. But Axl is focused on these slabs of rock which are very high quality, collaborative efforts. Izzy's stuff gets lost to the point where Howard Stern thinks Slash wrote Brownstone. 

Lyrics and melody. Which to me means Izzy and Axl songs mainly with Duff, Slash, Del, Dizzy, Fortus whoever has a song also. 

But then Slash basically records. If the line up of GNR records now it would be a great record. It would sound more hard rock with Frank, Duff, Slash, Fortus. If Axl wants to please everyone he goes back to a more Illusion vocal and they have more rockers than ballads. CD recorded by Slash/Duff basically. I think though if you had a side like

Suckertain Blues

Slither

Fall to Pieces

Better

Do it For the Kids

This I Love

Safari Inn

There was a Time

that would be cool

• Like 2

OK, I listened to this one on repeat this morning while getting ready for a MONUMENTAL DAY!

Ready for a conspiracy theory twist?  of course you are! :headbang:

Does anyone else hear AXL singing this song?

What if this was a GnR tune and Axl was walk n' down the street...

The 1st BIG DOG barking at him must be DUFF (c'mon Axl let's put the band back together BARK BARK BARK)

The COUPLE of DOGS must be SLASH and IZZY (c'mon Axl we're ready too)

Then AXL sings " I am good today, tomorrow's BETTER when you find a way." Clearly a reference to his CD song.

But what of Steven, you ask???

He's obviously the little dog that you can hear barking in the background as the song fades out.  You just have to listen closely ;)

BAM.

On 25.6.2016 at 5:01 PM, pacu44 said:

Out of likes, but this shit is so cool. Izzy is such a cool motherfucker and I love this tune. Riff, lyrics, drums, basically everything. Perhaps some leads are kinda sloppy and not Slash-level you know, but it's great stuff anyway.

Guns without Izzy and Steven is still a dream come true for me, but man... even this 30 seconds clip makes it so obvious Izzy was such an important part of Guns and it makes me feel kinda bummed that he's not a part of the reunion. Even just as a writing partner. (but his solo work is still great, it's just I think he could have Izzyly done both if he wanted)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

On 6/25/2016 at 11:11 AM, Rovim said:

Out of likes, but this shit is so cool. Izzy is such a cool motherfucker and I love this tune. Riff, lyrics, drums, basically everything. Perhaps some leads are kinda sloppy and not Slash-level you know, but it's great stuff anyway.

Guns without Izzy and Steven is still a dream come true for me, but man... even this 30 seconds clip makes it so obvious Izzy was such an important part of Guns and it makes me feel kinda bummed that he's not a part of the reunion. Even just as a writing partner. (but his solo work is still great, it's just I think he could have Izzyly have done both if he wanted)

the way i see it we still dont have GNR. 

we will have it when we get axl, izzy, slash and duff and a drummer onstage (hopefully steven)

then we will have the best band ever, together, again

===

as for izzy "wanting" (or not) to be on this reunion thing, we really dont know.

of course he could do it

but we dont even know if he was asked to do it

• Like 1

Izzy last night told us what F.P. Money is about...did he tells us what is walk n' about? Also he is probably only making a penny or nothing for releasing these song.  If a song is 99 cents.. After you pay iTunes or Amazon then the other guys he is probably making nothing.  i hope he releases more songs.  I no one more is coming..

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, KURT19 said:

Izzy has been awfully quiet lately...

yes... If he were to show up for the New Orleans show, I need to know.... I have no plans on going, unless he is there.