Is the GNR Stadium Tour Too Ambitious? - Article by the Wall Street Journal

Here's Why the Guns N' Roses Reunion Tour Isn't Selling Out

It’s actually a rarity in the music business.

Have Guns N’ Roses fans lost their appetite for destruction?

That’s what some observers are wondering as the band’s 2016 reunion tour—which features Axl Rose, guitarist Slash, and bassist Duff McKagan together for the first time since 1993—has failed to sell out many dates.

Music fans have noted on Twitter, for instance, that the second night of a two-night run at at Soldier Field in Chicago last weekend was not well attended, though the first night was sold out.

In a report Thursday, the Wall Street Journal cited the fact that a recent show at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. was attended by 27,000 concertgoers, a sizable amount, but far below the stadium’s 70,000-plus capacity.

Guns N’ Roses performance at the box office this summer underscores the difficulty that can be had packing these sorts of outdoor venues for musical events, according to the report. The tour’s promoter, Live Nation, told the Journalthat it expects to sell more than 90% of the available tickets on the tour, with an average ticket price of $130. Some of the less well-attended shows were the result of the band playing cities it wanted to play, rather than sticking to the highest population centers that would better guarantee sellouts.

“The band wants to play certain cities,” including Kansas City, Bob Roux, co-president of U.S. concerts for tour promoter Live Nation told the Journal. “On virtually any tour we do, the larger cities generally outperform those with smaller populations.”

Fortune has reached out to Live Nation for further comment and will update the story if it responds.

They should have done a stadium/arena tour.  One night only stadium shows in NYC, LA, Chicago, and couple other places.  Everywhere else they should do arenas. 

Price and not having the original 5 are both part of the problem.

11 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/guns-n-roses-not-in-this-seattle-washington-08-12-2016/event/0F00507FAA382132

Take a look at what is still available in Seattle.

They could have gone to the Tacoma Dome instead, which holds 23,000 people.

I remember the days of the long lines at Tiketmaster  box office to buy tickets. I think Ticketmaster is part of the problem. Well they should be part of the solution. They have all these passwords and credit card deals. Sponsors got a lot of tickets too. That also happens in sport events too. I don't think it works the proper way. I mean I tried but all I got was a "try again later" I could never find the tickets I wanted. So I ended up buying in stubhub. Also one has to wonder why stubhub has a lot more tickets available than Ticketmaster.

2 hours ago, Padme said:

I remember the days of the long lines at Tiketmaster  box office to buy tickets. I think Ticketmaster is part of the problem. Well they should be part of the solution. They have all these passwords and credit card deals. Sponsors got a lot of tickets too. That also happens in sport events too. I don't think it works the proper way. I mean I tried but all I got was a "try again later" I could never find the tickets I wanted. So I ended up buying in stubhub. Also one has to wonder why stubhub has a lot more tickets available than Ticketmaster.

Ticketmaster holds their fair share of the blame, imo.  I tried calling them for an entire week to find out where my tickets were and I LITERALLY got a BUSY SIGNAL every time I called...not a ring and put on hold, not a "sorry not available message"....no, just a busy signal as if they didn't even have call waiting, which has been a free service from most telephone companies going on two decades now......busy signal for a week!  Completely unacceptable for a company of that magnitude and size.

I emailed them twice and finally got a response 5-6 days later and they apologized, said they were having "technical issues".  For an entire week?  SMH.

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This.

Tickets should have been $40 - $150 which would have sold every city and the second dates out in a heartbeat. I think the tour is a success overall, but it could have been HUGE if it was priced right.

If they sold out shows by reducing ticket prices by about 30%, the total revenue would be less than if they sell 80-90% of tickets at the current prices.  Just sayin...

It probably should have scaled a few of the smaller markets to arenas.

I was at the Cinci show and it wasn't sold out at all. I originally bought bleeders in the 300 section for 85 (Well it was actually like 60 but good God 25 dollars for a ticket fee is atrocious) and they upgraded me to lower arena. What would those seats have originally cost, 200? Either way I got really lucky.

Everything up to and including the 200s were filled and it makes me think they should have gone for whatever indoor arena is in Cinci. Either that or Louisville (where I'm located) has a very nice indoor arena. But then again I'd have to look at the numbers and see. 

12 minutes ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

If they sold out shows by reducing ticket prices by about 30%, the total revenue would be less than if they sell 80-90% of tickets at the current prices.  Just sayin...

Which is exactly why they don't really need to lower their prices. The overall market (based on the WSJ article) is dictating they can sell 90% of their tickets at an average price of $130. So to make the same amount of revenue, the lowest they could reduce the average ticket price to is $117 assuming they literally sold out 100% of available tickets. Anything below that and they're leaving money on the table. 

Presumably it is the worst seats (which are also likely the cheapest ones) that are going unsold, so reducing the top prices for tickets doesn't make sense either, from a business standpoint. 

It may be because I live in an expensive market (NYC), but other than some of the VIP packages, I didn't think the prices were too terrible, and based on their sales, the market would seem to agree. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What about the people who cannot attend because they have been priced out?

There were plenty of "cheap" seats available for those who just wanted to be there.   From what I saw (mostly following the 2nd Chicago show), the cheap seats sold well and the really good seats sold well.  The middle of the floor and the lower bowl were priced as if they are really good seats and they just aren't.  Those prices should have been lowered, and consequently, that's where they had to move all the people who bought the cheapest tickets.

10 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

but far below the stadium’s 70,000-plus capacity.

What are they on about? 70,000+ ?. Arrowhead is usually set up at about 55,000 for concert capacity from what I could find (was doing research trying to figure out how many might have been in attendance in KC as the originally tossed out 25000 seemed low to me)

45 minutes ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

Yeah, but it would be better for hype. 

• Like 1

Without reading the article, if the tour is being seen as a disappointment , I'd say it's because Axl's been touring off and on since 2002 (and mostly on since 2006) as Guns N'Roses and there really wasn't all that much done to really get the word out that this was "real" Guns N'Roses. Honestly I'm surprised/happy they're doing as well.

And now, it's not Adler or Izzy that's the problem, the problem is that Axl's GNR has been around for 10 years plus and suddenly Duff and Slash quietly rejoin the band and they go on tour, again. They didn't do enough to say "this is the real Guns N'Roses". 

Edited by Modano09

3 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Without reading the article, if the tour is being seen as a disappointment , I'd say it's because Axl's been touring off and on since 2002 (and mostly on since 2006) as Guns N'Roses and there really wasn't all that much done to really get the word out that this was "real" Guns N'Roses. Honestly I'm surprised/happy they're doing as well.

And now, it's not Adler or Izzy that's the problem, the problem is that Axl's GNR has been around for 10 years plus and suddenly Duff and Slash quietly rejoin the band and they go on tour, again. They didn't do enough to say "this is the real Guns N'Roses". 

I think if it is a disappoint there are many reasons. One of them is that it is not a full reunion. They didn't do any press conference or exlusive RS interview telling details about how the reunion happen. We don't have official brand new pictures of Axl, Slash and Duff outside the stage. I don't care about pictures of Duff with his wife and his wife with Adler. Also maybe it is possible that the 2 Vegas and the 2 Coachella have hurt this tour. I have a friend who went to one Vegas and one Coachella and now she is not going to these shows. I guess she is not alone. I believe that either just one Vegas or one Coachella show as part of the promotion was good enough. Also there is no new album on the horizon, not even one or two new songs