Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

3 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I don't think it Niven purposefully lying, but he does admit to it being second hand information. Intresting how this has been picked up over everything in the interview, just shows the pull Izzy still has around GnR.

Sounds like a case of "he said, he said" at this point.

Edited by purplestargirl

I’ve always respected Izzy for being the quiet and mysterious one from that band and not sharing every intricate detail of his life and what he had for dinner on Social Media, so I hope he does respond to the stuff Niven has just come out with. Preferably before any of the other three do. Really, because I don’t want to see him being branded as flaky or money-orientated as I genuinely don’t see him as being either of those things. I do think he’s a straight up guy and their probably was an issue with not being paid fairly – I don’t really care about A/D/S having their business heads on and trying to decide how much they should charge for an overpriced mug at a concert or how Axl bought rights to stuff in the mid-nineties and filed a lawsuit against everyone in the universe, at the end of the day, without those songs that Izzy either wrote outright or heavily contributed too, they wouldn’t be playing very many tracks at their live shows and for that he should be paid, equally if a full-time member. But I’d also be willing to bet that there would be an element of WTF with Izzy as he’s a no-frills rock n roll dude who may have just wanted to play no frills rock n’ roll shows rather than this massive overpriced commodity that it is now – could someone please tell me what the girl with the blue-hair is actually doing in the band? As I watched her for 3 hours in London last year and I still don’t know (no disrespect intended however, because if someone paid me what she is being paid to bounce about on stage with 3 members of GnR, I’d do it as well). Izzy walked away from the band in the early nineties because of it becoming ridiculous (as well as his new-found sobriety) and maybe he views GnR as being a business rather than a band the same way. Or he could’ve realised he’d be expected to be second fiddle to Fortus and that pissed him off as well. Or it could be something else entirely. Who knows, but Niven sure knows how to give a half story and stoke a fire. Or Niven could be talking shit too, which wouldn’t surprise me either.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, Izzy doesn’t really care about anything other than a paycheque and I’ve backed the wrong guy for the past 26 years. (But I sincerely doubt that though).

• Like 1

I'm actually wondering if maybe there's some truth in the rumors about Izzy only being about money... Don't kill me, but maybe we've had this all wrong? Maybe the reason Izzy is staying quiet is because he fucked up by asking for too much?

Izzy's reputation has been dragged through the mud since 2016 and he's said nothing. Niven said that Izzy cared about the legacy, and if that's the case; why is he not defending himself? And now with this rumor of him having the opportunity to play and walking out, people are once again painting him like the bad guy.

I get that Izzy is a quiet guy and doesn't like drama, but at a certain point him not saying anything doesn't make sense. Either he's the second coming of Gandhi and truly doesn't care what people think of him, or he can't say anything because the rumors are true.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I think Izzy doesn't say anything much publicly because who knows how things between him and Axl, Slash and Duff could be tomorrow, it aould all change in the blink of an eye and talking to the press or tweeting whilst you're angry isnt going to help. 

Most people outside this forum are not trashing Izzy at all they are calling Axl everything for it. I would keep quiet too :lol:

ok of course and we dont know what really happened.. and of course we cant be very objective with him.. We can only assume that probably the problem is money...Its different to face you as a session musician like fortus, and its different with people whom lived all this success with whom grown up  to treat you as a part of the history. I dont believe that people believe that he is a bad guy. But he really gets me on nerves that he never speaks about that. 

4 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I think Izzy doesn't say anything much publicly because who knows how things between him and Axl, Slash and Duff could be tomorrow, it aould all change in the blink of an eye and talking to the press or tweeting whilst you're angry isnt going to help. 

Most people outside this forum are not trashing Izzy at all they are calling Axl everything for it. I would keep quiet too :lol:

its true that most of the people usually blamed axl for everything..For me axl kept this band together when all have drug issues but later he destroyed it.. 

I don’t know what to think anymore. At this point anything is possible to me. Izzy never speaks, there’s no info. The walking out of GnR, how he not cares about marketing his music and so on always indicated to me that he is not all about the money. He for sure is all up for it, he said that he only helped GnR our in 93 because they owed him money and he wanted to make the payment happen.

Still, these days I’m wondering whether Izzy is more of a grumpy, unfriendly and money greedy old fart than I’d like to acknowledge. Why is money the big issue? The ONLY issue Izzy ever mentioned? Is it the only reason for him or does he simply not care to talk further.

He was always calm and even when waiting for Axl in vain like before Hall of Fame (ok, Niven info but let’s pretend it happend) he was all up for touring with Axl shortly after. 

I’m also wondering: What did he want equal loot for. In case he was up for rehearsal and soundcheck in Juli 2016, which is after he has already been pissed enough to open a twitter and post those supergrumpy videos, why would he tweet about the loot in autumn 2016? So when did the loot discussion happen? I always thought for the first few shows in April. But then he was offered guest spots which we only learn about now and he wanted equal loot then? For guest spots? That would be a little - well - greedy, right? Or why did he tweet the loot tweet in autumn 2016??? :shrugs:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Why is everything so complicated with this band? :facepalm: I don't think Izzy would ask for an equally splitting of the loot if it was just for some guest spots. I take Steven's word here of 'Izzy wanted to do it right' and also that guy who said that Slash told him that Izzy wanted to do it like it was 1987, but that wasn't possible. If Izzy wanted to do it like it was 1987, he didn't want just guest spots. He wanted to be there full-time and probably split the money the same way they used to do in 1987. But it wasn't possible cause 1. Axl wouldn't ditch Fortus and 2. No way the 3 stooges would agree with getting the same amount of money as Izzy, as they have the argument that he left the partnership. I really think these were the reasons why Izzy didn't do it, so I'm kinda siding with him. But - as much as I think they should pay Izzy whatever he wants for whatever he wants just for my own egoistical happiness :P - I totally get it if they didn't accept to give him the same amount if he was only to do guest spots. It would be the fair thing to do. 

Everything would be much easier if someone talked and not all this 'they know much more but can't share'. Sometimes it seems this band is dealing with national security problems. It's just a fuckin band!! It's always a clusterfuck behind the scenes. They had 20 years to learn and not even the fuckin reunion they could do right. The more things change...

I'm pissed.

I'm pissed too. Very. 

Jeez! What's going on in this thread? I'm so not in the mood for all this discussion. Everybody considering to be wrong about Izzy all this time because in the end he's all about the money? WTF??? What about all we heard all these years from people who know him and say he's the most humble and down to earth guy possible? What about the simple way he lives? What about not promoting his music at all and only releasing it online? Does it look like someone who ONLY cares about the money? Fuck!!

Of course money is a very important part of the negotiations for him to join this stupid band on tour or some shows, but OF COURSE is not the only reason. I'm sure there's much more. Emotional reasons. He must have considered disrespectful to be offered only guest spots, and this is just one of the things I can think of. He seemingly doesn't like to talk openly about FEELINGS. I bet he only made the infamous "loot tweet" to make the story short and end the speculations at that time. But now that tweet is coming back to bite him. 

End of the rant. Sorry. :facepalm:

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, kkferro72 said:

I'm pissed too. Very. 

Jeez! What's going on in this thread? I'm so not in the mood for all this discussion. Everybody considering to be wrong about Izzy all this time because in the end he's all about the money? WTF??? What about all we heard all these years from people who know him and say he's the most humble and down to earth guy possible? What about the simple way he lives? What about not promoting his music at all and only releasing it online? Does it look like someone who ONLY cares about the money? Fuck!!

Of course money is a very important part of the negotiations for him to join this stupid band on tour or some shows, but OF COURSE is not the only reason. I'm sure there's much more. Emotional reasons. He must have considered disrespectful to be offered only guest spots, and this is just one of the things I can think of. He seemingly doesn't like to talk openly about FEELINGS. I bet he only made the infamous "loot tweet" to make the story short and end the speculations at that time. But now that tweet is coming back to bite him. 

End of the rant. Sorry. :facepalm:

I think we are all just trying to look at things objectively because nothing makes sense. Nobody is accusing him of anything. Just questioning the rumors is all.

• Like 3

I don’t think Izzy comes out of this looking flaky, I just think his life style and expectation of a reunion are very different to the others. 

Axl, Duff and Slash have high overheads, expensive life styles, I think they want the accolades that a successful tour has brought them and why not, even if it goes against everything they seemingly  stood for back in the 80’s. I sometimes find this hard to swallow but we all get older and wiser and require different things from life.

Izzy on the other hand seems not to care as much about these things, music appears now to be more of a hobby, perhaps not to begin with but after JuJu hounds and the initial solo releases  navigating the music industry in his own way appears to no longer interest him. He shares what he does, for which I am very grateful.

So to give up living his life in away his accustom too, (I suppose he and his family live comfortably) and get on board with the band in the way they want him too, maybe he does require more money to put himself threw it. 

I don’t see it as a grumpy, money grabbing thing, just asking for the others to be respectful, they are making money from the AFD legacy. Respect is something I don’t really see happening with the band, not with past members or too the fans. I lost all love when they did very little for AFD 30, I also acknowledge Izzy didn’t even mention it either, not even a little tweet.

The band turned corporate and somehow that’s not how I see Izzy or Steven functioning comfortably. If that inadvertently puts him at odds with the others, I guess his better off keeping quiet. 

• Like 4

GnR has always been in large part about the money, since the very beginning when they were playing record companies against each other to get free meals and advances. They've always been hustlers. I don't think Izzy is all about money in general  but I do think that he is all about the money when it comes to GnR.  So it's both. GnR is his piggy bank. People talk about him leaving the band at it's height, but in actuality it was slowly dying. Lawsuits and fees were bleeding them dry- so much so that thay had to do the Skin and Bones tour to make up the money. Add that to the fact that it was unlikely at that point that both Duff and Slash would even live through the 90's, and Izzy made an excellent (but ultimately short-sighted) business decision. He came back to play with the NuGuns circus for a big fee and I bet chose Axl's side in the RRHOF debacle because he knew which side his bread was buttered on.  There's nothing wrong with any of this, he started this freaking band. But, yeah, loot.

• Like 1

I get you, but I guess I see it as being savvy in the beginning now it appears more to be about cashing in. I dare say if I was in the same position I would be doing the same, hopefully with a better acknowledgment to how I got there in the first place.

The RRHOF I don’t see as Izzy knowing what side his bread was buttered in the least, he reportedly tried his hardest to get everyone involved. I see it more as not wanting to be involved in the cluster fuck it turned out to be. 

• Like 1

The money Izzy makes in royalties is his regardless of him pissing off band members or not, so I don’t see he has to keep anybody  sweet. I just think he hates drama. 

I would get excited for the band a whole lot more if they gave more back, I love the way Rolling Stones or Pearl Jam involve fans in concerts, celebrate music catologues, etc .. There would be so much less drama involved with GnR if they were more transparent and inclusive of thier fan base.

Having said that, what they are doing is working, so why worry. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Archtop said:

The money Izzy makes in royalties is his regardless of him pissing off band members or not, so I don’t see he has to keep anybody  sweet. I just think he hates drama. 

I would get excited for the band a whole lot more if they gave more back, I love the way Rolling Stones or Pearl Jam involve fans in concerts, celebrate music catologues, etc .. There would be so much less drama involved with GnR if they were more transparent and inclusive of thier fan base.

Having said that, what they are doing is working, so why worry. 

Don't get me started on the Rolling Stones.... three hours I sat in an online queue yesterday for tickets for one of their UK Shows. Stress level through the roof! Got some though.... 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Miss_Wharton said:

Don't get me started on the Rolling Stones.... three hours I sat in an online queue yesterday for tickets for one of their UK Shows. Stress level through the roof! Got some though.... 😂😂😂

Me jealous, nope not all, 

9EDB2FFB-7787-4BE7-91D6-21DF41564CDE.gif

• Haha 1

Izzy walking away during sound check and tweeting shows that he's not under any contract which is said that everyone has signed and confirmed by Steven, i think its possible that everyone verbally agreed to the Nashville guest appearance but when he got there, they made him sign a contract which is probably what posses him off. He most likely didn't sign anything that's why he was able to walk away and tweet without any repercussions. Or it could be as @Archtop said, that something happened during sound check that made him feel disrespected.

Of course money is important but he's not stupid to ask for equal loot for guest appearances. I'm thinking same as @Tori72 that the loot tweet was about the April shows which started everything .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Thanks for all this sharing of thoughts. I’m out of likes. I wanna let you know that funnily I actually agree with all of you and your thoughts have been in my mind, too. @kkferro72 I love you for loving and trusting Izzy so much, you know I do too, but from time to time I need to ask those questions because I do get confused by this whole clusterfuck of a band. Lovely word. :D

I can imagine Izzy wanting to share loot and work like in 87, „doing it right“ and I also see that the stooges wouldn’t let him into the partnership again. I do agree on him being very likely more emotional than he would ever let out and that he just used the loot tweet to shut everybody up.

Maybe it was only about respect and he thought that even out of the partnership he should get a fair deal because he started the band, wrote big parts for most of the songs and so on. 

The money grabbing issue became so obvious at AFD 30, thanks (or not ;)) for reminding me, @Archtop That really did show a lot about all of them. And I also agree that Izzy and Steven don’t fit into a corporate thing as they have been living and working freely for the last 20 or more years. 

GnR def is Izzy’s piggy bank (another lovely word) and he uses it like it. I wonder if Izzy only played with Axl in 06 and 12 for the money. Because if he was so keen (and emotinal) on "doing it right“ in 2016 then he could not have liked what he saw and heard at 06 and 12.

End of story is, we know nothing, band will never share info, Izzy will never let anything out to not betray his piggy bank and also to have his personal privacy and the hanger’s on will start shit with giving no info-info and saying they know so much more but cannot share.

emma-stone-gifsigh.gif

Izzy did get paid out by the others though for selling his share of the partnership. I wonder if izzy would of repaid that money at all or he just assumed they would let him back in equal share for nothing.