09/06/17 - El Paso, TX - Sun Bowl Stadium

Estranged Reality

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

No flooding in San Antonio thank goodness but there is a lack of gas at the gas stations.

That has calmed down quite a bit. Don't think you'll have much of an issue, especially by tomorrow. FWIW, I got gas yesterday, no line at all, and at the first station I tried. Just be prepared to get raped at the pump. Prices have gone up 70 cents in a week.  We're around $2.60 now. 

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

he looks thin as fuuuuck

I watched an Axl/DC video back to back with a recent Guns show and thought the same, he actually has lost a load of weight during the tour. Some better outfit choices and he wouldn't be far off 06-10.

Alright, here's my review

ZZ Top has to be one of the funnest sets I've watched in a while! Those guys are incredible. Loved it 

Guns:

Incredible start, Axl came out of the gates as jittery and full of energy as I've ever seen him. It was great to see and his energy rubbed off on the crowd early on! As he got into Jungle I was thinking "man I've been too hard on his vocals, they are incredible!" 

After DTJ the energy sort of died down, they went into Better and Axl was all in, vocals still sounding plenty good live but I think the song itself just drowned people out of the moment. Next was Estranged and it wasn't very good. From the opening note he struggled and then it picked up into a really fast tempo that wasn't needed. The second half sounded awful...oh well what can you do. I've seen shows where Estranged felt like a highlight this just wasn't it. 

Then LALD did came and brought back the energy...vocals were a bit off on parts but overall the songs energy and lights + scream got everyone back into it. RQ then slowed us back down with a long intro and long Slash solo..but not bad. YCBM became forgettable due to the vocals, the voice he uses on that song causes him to disappear in the mix so it kills the song for me. 

After Duff's solo they come back with TIL and as I mentioned this is where Axl kind of lost interest for a bit. It was the worst I heard him sound all night. He couldn't get it going. It was so bad I thought he actually lost his voice on a part...he tried to hit some notes and nothing came out, weird! But he had some talks with his sound guy during Slash's solo and finished the song much stronger but still visibly not interested anymore. 

Civil War was great live! Enjoyed it. Mickey moments didn't bother me here Bc he was strong 

Yesterdays was an abomination from hell. That poor song got treated like shit..they should let Melissa sing it 

Coma was good, his voice seemed tired but he fought through it and gave a performance for it

SCOM got the crowd back into it 

UTLH was great live! I think everyone enjoyed it despite his high pitched clean vocals

My Michelle was much stronger live than I anticipated his voice carried well 

NR was another crowd favorite, especially when Slash stood by the piano for the outro 

Black Hole Sun got a huge pop from the crowd, Axl was laughing with Melissa during this song, I think he went to talk to her about a part where it sounded like she sang an Octvave too high...her voice came out clear over his haha either way he went over to her after it and pointed straight up and they both busted out laughing...that moment seemed to awaken Axl..he was back for the finish.

Witchita Lineman was beautiful

KOHD was freakishly long..I'm more impressed Axl remembers how many times and when to say Knock Knock Knockin on Heavens Dooooor he did say some of his few words of the night when he pointed at someone in the front row and goes "awe you think I'm number 1...listen everyone she says I'm number 1!" Then after the song he goes "wow it's amazing what happens when someone gives you confidence..all the things you can accomplish, it feels good..thanks for making me #1" 

Nightrain showed me what it's like when Axl uses his voice to perfection..such an incredible song live!

encore:

Dont Cry was solid

Axl called off the song after dont cry

Patience was one of the best performances of the night 

Seeker is fun

PC was forgettable but confetti and fireworks make up for it!

overall good show...not my favorite, anyone that tells you you can't hear Mickey live is full of shit. Ok to be fair the truth is in the middle. Some songs come off better than others but if you think Yesterdays is good live you should quit listening to music. 

The setlist needs help...it really really drags on the middle and it's a shame Bc there are some great songs in there but too many slowdowns too many solos and it just kills the crowd. The beginning and ending are incredible but the flow is off as a whole. 

Hopefully I catch these guys in the arena tour. Again fun show..not sure I can do the pit again, my legs are dead from standing all day

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

I'm interested in seeing this band put on a rocker tour with a set like this 

Jungle 

ISE

Mr. b.

CD

LALD

My Michelle

OTGM

YOURE Crazy

Shacklers

WLR

Nightrain

Encore:

Pretty Tied Up

Patience 

Dont Cry 

RQ -short version

i just feel like a set like this would sound amazing, it would be fun, energetic, and as long as they leave the long solos out and just go one right after another it would be a killer set. I know I put some slow songs in the encore but I feel like you can do that there. Idk I think it would be cool, then switch things up with Nightrain to kick off a show and Jungle in the middle...tons you could do. But I think a more aggressive set would be fun for this lineup 

• Like 1

Awesome review, thanks so much! :thumbsup:  Loved how you reviewed it song by song.  Glad My Michelle is sounding good.  

What do you mean by Axl called off the song after Don't Cry?  

Edit: like your revised set but I don't think he can handle PTU.  It's my 2nd favourite song (obviously lol) and I'd hate to hear him mangle it.  What do you think?

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

5 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

No flooding in San Antonio thank goodness but there is a lack of gas at the gas stations.

Ok,thanks for you info,now is the hurricane Irma in Florida, and as stationes  gas is logic,after such destruction whit the flooding.

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Awesome review, thanks so much! :thumbsup:  Loved how you reviewed it song by song.  Glad My Michelle is sounding good.  

What do you mean by Axl called off the song after Don't Cry?  

Edit: like your revised set but I don't think he can handle PTU.  It's my 2nd favourite song (obviously lol) and I'd hate to hear him mangle it.  What do you think?

After Don't Cry Slash grabbed his Black Les Paul and Axl started talking in his in ear communication to the band and Slash nodded and grabbed an acoustic guitar and Axl apologized to the crowd and said "sorry, sometimes I like to pull a fast one on these guys" or throw a fast one...he said something referencing the fact that he adjusted the upcoming song. 

I think he can handle any song personally. I saw no sign of vocal damage last night but I saw a guy struggling with notes on his falsetto. He was struggling much more on his Mickey voice like he didn't have any control over it in a mid range setting. He needed to take it to the top to finish it but when he needed a clean mid range falsetto note it came out flat and he lost it at the end. He's never been good with that voice and so it raises even more questions as to why he would use it. He has so much control over his lower register and it's beautiful! 

PTU he could do, but he'd learn to Mickey it eventually. I think the first attempt would be epic!

by the way I caught Slash's pic after his Nightrain solo...I was thrilled!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Alright, here's my review

ZZ Top has to be one of the funnest sets I've watched in a while! Those guys are incredible. Loved it 

Guns:

Incredible start, Axl came out of the gates as jittery and full of energy as I've ever seen him. It was great to see and his energy rubbed off on the crowd early on! As he got into Jungle I was thinking "man I've been too hard on his vocals, they are incredible!" 

After DTJ the energy sort of died down, they went into Better and Axl was all in, vocals still sounding plenty good live but I think the song itself just drowned people out of the moment. Next was Estranged and it wasn't very good. From the opening note he struggled and then it picked up into a really fast tempo that wasn't needed. The second half sounded awful...oh well what can you do. I've seen shows where Estranged felt like a highlight this just wasn't it. 

Then LALD did came and brought back the energy...vocals were a bit off on parts but overall the songs energy and lights + scream got everyone back into it. RQ then slowed us back down with a long intro and long Slash solo..but not bad. YCBM became forgettable due to the vocals, the voice he uses on that song causes him to disappear in the mix so it kills the song for me. 

After Duff's solo they come back with TIL and as I mentioned this is where Axl kind of lost interest for a bit. It was the worst I heard him sound all night. He couldn't get it going. It was so bad I thought he actually lost his voice on a part...he tried to hit some notes and nothing came out, weird! But he had some talks with his sound guy during Slash's solo and finished the song much stronger but still visibly not interested anymore. 

Civil War was great live! Enjoyed it. Mickey moments didn't bother me here Bc he was strong 

Yesterdays was an abomination from hell. That poor song got treated like shit..they should let Melissa sing it 

Coma was good, his voice seemed tired but he fought through it and gave a performance for it

SCOM got the crowd back into it 

UTLH was great live! I think everyone enjoyed it despite his high pitched clean vocals

My Michelle was much stronger live than I anticipated his voice carried well 

NR was another crowd favorite, especially when Slash stood by the piano for the outro 

Black Hole Sun got a huge pop from the crowd, Axl was laughing with Melissa during this song, I think he went to talk to her about a part where it sounded like she sang an Octvave too high...her voice came out clear over his haha either way he went over to her after it and pointed straight up and they both busted out laughing...that moment seemed to awaken Axl..he was back for the finish.

Witchita Lineman was beautiful

KOHD was freakishly long..I'm more impressed Axl remembers how many times and when to say Knock Knock Knockin on Heavens Dooooor he did say some of his few words of the night when he pointed at someone in the front row and goes "awe you think I'm number 1...listen everyone she says I'm number 1!" Then after the song he goes "wow it's amazing what happens when someone gives you confidence..all the things you can accomplish, it feels good..thanks for making me #1" 

Nightrain showed me what it's like when Axl uses his voice to perfection..such an incredible song live!

encore:

Dont Cry was solid

Axl called off the song after dont cry

Patience was one of the best performances of the night 

Seeker is fun

PC was forgettable but confetti and fireworks make up for it!

overall good show...not my favorite, anyone that tells you you can't hear Mickey live is full of shit. Ok to be fair the truth is in the middle. Some songs come off better than others but if you think Yesterdays is good live you should quit listening to music. 

The setlist needs help...it really really drags on the middle and it's a shame Bc there are some great songs in there but too many slowdowns too many solos and it just kills the crowd. The beginning and ending are incredible but the flow is off as a whole. 

Hopefully I catch these guys in the arena tour. Again fun show..not sure I can do the pit again, my legs are dead from standing all day

Good review for be you 😂 i  have scare , but not bad.

Thank you @IncitingChaos for your review, a little question, this discussion was in good spirit?  and I agree his lower register is awesome and so underused.

10 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Another side note...Axl and Slash interact a lot more now. Axl leans on him more and their invetween song discussion is there. They had a lengthy discussion before Civil War. Axl kept trying to get away but Slash had his hand on his shoulder 

9 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Thank you @IncitingChaos for your review, a little question, this discussion was in good spirit?  and I agree his lower register is awesome and so underused.

No it was very heated, Slash held onto him and said "you're not going anywhere" and then whispered in his ear "soon you'll be playing all my snakepit songs you rejected back then"

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

After Don't Cry Slash grabbed his Black Les Paul and Axl started talking in his in ear communication to the band and Slash nodded and grabbed an acoustic guitar and Axl apologized to the crowd and said "sorry, sometimes I like to pull a fast one on these guys" or throw a fast one...he said something referencing the fact that he adjusted the upcoming song. 

I think he can handle any song personally. I saw no sign of vocal damage last night but I saw a guy struggling with notes on his falsetto. He was struggling much more on his Mickey voice like he didn't have any control over it in a mid range setting. He needed to take it to the top to finish it but when he needed a clean mid range falsetto note it came out flat and he lost it at the end. He's never been good with that voice and so it raises even more questions as to why he would use it. He has so much control over his lower register and it's beautiful! 

PTU he could do, but he'd learn to Mickey it eventually. I think the first attempt would be epic!

by the way I caught Slash's pic after his Nightrain solo...I was thrilled!

Thanks for the explanation.  That makes sense.  I absolutely agree.  Don't know why he doesn't make more use of his lower register.  It comes much more naturally and sounds better.  I'm not convinced about his ability to handle PTU but something tells me he's not going there anyway.  How cool you caught Slash's pic!  Awesome!  I can't imagine how you managed to catch such a tiny thing in amongst all those people though!  ^_^

10 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

No it was very heated, Slash held onto him and said "you're not going anywhere" and then whispered in his ear "soon you'll be playing all my snakepit songs you rejected back then"

At first, I thought you were veering into sexy times fan fic...:lol:

24 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

All in good spirit! They seem to genuinely have a good partnership now. It appeared Slash was going over a timing thing on the upcoming or previous song. 

42 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

What songs does Slash use the black les paul for?