09/06/17 - El Paso, TX - Sun Bowl Stadium

Estranged Reality

@IncitingChaos Very nice review man!!! And It's great to have another confirmation that they're having fun on stage. I'd already noticed that, but I haven´t been to any 2017 show yet , my whole perception goes back to Youtube videos. I believe that, after all these shows, after appealing together practically the whole planet, they already feel like a band again...the period of tension and nervousness has gone...That´s Fn great!!!

27 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

At first, I thought you were veering into sexy times fan fic...:lol:

Lol! No then Slash would have said: "soon you'll be playing with ALL of my snakes;)"

26 minutes ago, soon said:

What songs does Slash use the black les paul for?

He also used it for TWAT in 2016 but at the slane gig he picked another for some reason

46 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Rosie, and I Feel Good I believe 

27 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He also used it for TWAT in 2016 but at the slane gig he picked another for some reason

Thanks for responses.

I wonder if he'd use the same guitar for Maddy as he would TWAT - similar tones from same album?  Even though those other tracks are all encore songs anyways.

22 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks for responses.

I wonder if he'd use the same guitar for Maddy as he would TWAT - similar tones from same album?  Even though those other tracks are all encore songs anyways.

Not sure. I think it the rehearsal of maddy he had the black one.

he also has a new guitar, it looks like the green one he uses on CD but it's brownish gray and he used it on Seeker I believe 

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Alright, here's my review

ZZ Top has to be one of the funnest sets I've watched in a while! Those guys are incredible. Loved it 

Guns:

Incredible start, Axl came out of the gates as jittery and full of energy as I've ever seen him. It was great to see and his energy rubbed off on the crowd early on! As he got into Jungle I was thinking "man I've been too hard on his vocals, they are incredible!" 

After DTJ the energy sort of died down, they went into Better and Axl was all in, vocals still sounding plenty good live but I think the song itself just drowned people out of the moment. Next was Estranged and it wasn't very good. From the opening note he struggled and then it picked up into a really fast tempo that wasn't needed. The second half sounded awful...oh well what can you do. I've seen shows where Estranged felt like a highlight this just wasn't it. 

Then LALD did came and brought back the energy...vocals were a bit off on parts but overall the songs energy and lights + scream got everyone back into it. RQ then slowed us back down with a long intro and long Slash solo..but not bad. YCBM became forgettable due to the vocals, the voice he uses on that song causes him to disappear in the mix so it kills the song for me. 

After Duff's solo they come back with TIL and as I mentioned this is where Axl kind of lost interest for a bit. It was the worst I heard him sound all night. He couldn't get it going. It was so bad I thought he actually lost his voice on a part...he tried to hit some notes and nothing came out, weird! But he had some talks with his sound guy during Slash's solo and finished the song much stronger but still visibly not interested anymore. 

Civil War was great live! Enjoyed it. Mickey moments didn't bother me here Bc he was strong 

Yesterdays was an abomination from hell. That poor song got treated like shit..they should let Melissa sing it 

Coma was good, his voice seemed tired but he fought through it and gave a performance for it

SCOM got the crowd back into it 

UTLH was great live! I think everyone enjoyed it despite his high pitched clean vocals

My Michelle was much stronger live than I anticipated his voice carried well 

NR was another crowd favorite, especially when Slash stood by the piano for the outro 

Black Hole Sun got a huge pop from the crowd, Axl was laughing with Melissa during this song, I think he went to talk to her about a part where it sounded like she sang an Octvave too high...her voice came out clear over his haha either way he went over to her after it and pointed straight up and they both busted out laughing...that moment seemed to awaken Axl..he was back for the finish.

Witchita Lineman was beautiful

KOHD was freakishly long..I'm more impressed Axl remembers how many times and when to say Knock Knock Knockin on Heavens Dooooor he did say some of his few words of the night when he pointed at someone in the front row and goes "awe you think I'm number 1...listen everyone she says I'm number 1!" Then after the song he goes "wow it's amazing what happens when someone gives you confidence..all the things you can accomplish, it feels good..thanks for making me #1" 

Nightrain showed me what it's like when Axl uses his voice to perfection..such an incredible song live!

encore:

Dont Cry was solid

Axl called off the song after dont cry

Patience was one of the best performances of the night 

Seeker is fun

PC was forgettable but confetti and fireworks make up for it!

overall good show...not my favorite, anyone that tells you you can't hear Mickey live is full of shit. Ok to be fair the truth is in the middle. Some songs come off better than others but if you think Yesterdays is good live you should quit listening to music. 

The setlist needs help...it really really drags on the middle and it's a shame Bc there are some great songs in there but too many slowdowns too many solos and it just kills the crowd. The beginning and ending are incredible but the flow is off as a whole. 

Hopefully I catch these guys in the arena tour. Again fun show..not sure I can do the pit again, my legs are dead from standing all day

Why all day? What time did you line up and whered you end up?

1 hour ago, Derick said:

@IncitingChaos Very nice review man!!! And It's great to have another confirmation that they're having fun on stage. I'd already noticed that, but I haven´t been to any 2017 show yet , my whole perception goes back to Youtube videos. I believe that, after all these shows, after appealing together practically the whole planet, they already feel like a band again...the period of tension and nervousness has gone...That´s Fn great!!!

Personally I feel their problems are minor. 

Basically 

1. Make the setlist flow

2. Axl changes his style on a few songs. 

These shows would be worth catching multiple times if they fixed those two. 

3 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Why all day? What time did you line up and whered you end up?

People started lining up at 2:30 so I came in around 3 and stood there till they let us in at 5:30 then got a spot on the rail in front of Slash and stood until the concert ended at 11:30...the pit sucks 

45 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

And I noticed Axl was doing all the background noises on Coma last night. Since when did he start that? 

I noticed that a couple shows ago but we barely can hear him maybe being there his voice can be heard but on the scopes videos no way.. Last year and the most of 2017 shows he didn't used to sung (or to talked) those lines.

40 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Thank god nobody mentioned that prior to the show...we would have been expecting a 55 song setlist 

I agree completely about Yesterdays. The award for biggest butchering of a GN'R classic by the NITL Boys definitely goes to Yesterdays. They took a song that could have been cheesy but wasn't because GN'R were always gritty, and just made it full on cheesy. I felt like I was watching a commercial at the show with the over the top graphics. Not to mention the way Axl sings it and Slash inexplicably DJ Ashbas the solo. Such a pity. 

They should play it as part of an acoustic set on the arena tour. Might bring it to life more. 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Personally I feel their problems are minor. 

Basically 

1. Make the setlist flow

2. Axl changes his style on a few songs. 

These shows would be worth catching multiple times if they fixed those two. 

People started lining up at 2:30 so I came in around 3 and stood there till they let us in at 5:30 then got a spot on the rail in front of Slash and stood until the concert ended at 11:30...the pit sucks 

I did same for Aerosmith... noon time. Front and center. If you really love the band, its worth it. Otherwise, I rather not. Unless theres a hot girl beside you!

logo-default.svg icon-caret-up_24.svgicon-mail_24.svg icon-sms_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg

Guns N' Roses sounded like well-oiled machine at Sun Bowl Stadium: Review

DAVE ACOSTA | EL PASO TIMES
4 hours ago
4303072813001_5567949054001_5567934956001-vs.jpg?pubId=4303072813001
Guns N' Roses performed to a nearly-sold-out-crowd on Wednesday night Sept 7, 2017.
PHOTOS BY MARK LAMBIE, EDITED BY SARAH DUENAS/EL PASO TIMES

Before Guns N' Roses took the stage at a packed Sun Bowl Stadium on a cool Wednesday night, an animated video of an old hot rod emblazoned with the "GnR" logo rumbled on three giant video screens.

But when the reunited trio of singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash, bass guitarist Duff McKagan began playing with the rest of the band, they turned up the heat and sounded more like a well-oiled race car.
Axl Rose and Slash rock out at the Sun Bowl to a near-sold-out crowd during their Not in This Lifetime Tour. ZZ Top started the night off.
Axl Rose and Slash rock out at the Sun Bowl to a near-sold-out crowd during their Not in This Lifetime Tour. ZZ Top started the night off.
MARK LAMBIE / EL PASO TIMES

The band blasted through two songs, "It's So Easy" and "Mr. Brownstone," from its 1987 debut, "Appetite for Destruction," after which front man Rose called the nearly sold-out stadium "boisterous."

From there, fans who paid anywhere from $35 to $250 for a ticket got their money's worth — and then some — as the band performed more than 30 songs — and more than a couple of covers — in just over three hours.

With Rose looking much trimmer than he did just a few years ago, and with the rest of the band in tip-top shape, Guns N' Roses was still chugging away at full speed more than an hour into the show.

By then, fans had already heard rousing renditions of "Welcome to the Jungle," "Estranged," "Live and Let Die" (the first of many covers), "Rocket Queen" and "You Could Be Mine."

Guns N’ Roses plays to a near sell out crowd at the Sun Bowl Wednesday on their Not in This Lifetime Tour. ZZ Top got things started at the Sun Bowl.
Guns N’ Roses plays to a near sell out crowd at the Sun Bowl Wednesday on their Not in This Lifetime Tour. ZZ Top got things started at the Sun Bowl.

The band's current drummer, Frank "Thunderchucker" Ferrer, is nothing short of a beast behind the trap set. Without a doubt, his heavy hand and steady beat is the pacemaker for the 50-plus-year-old hearts of the group's core members.

After the first hour, throughout which the majority of the fans stayed on their feet, Slash proved why he is one of the best guitarists to ever strap on a Les Paul.

Slash's guitar solo led into the radio-favorite and still timely, "Civil War" — and into hour two.

Stretching out its time on stage, the band took on an instrumental cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here," a not-so-good version of Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun," (in tribute to the recently departed Chris Cornell), and the coda to Derek and the Dominoes "Layla," with Slash doing his best Eric Clapton impersonation.

4303072813001_5567120574001_5567102018001-vs.jpg?pubId=4303072813001
The "Sun City" has become "Paradise City" as reunited rockers Guns N' Roses take over Sun Bowl Stadium on Wednesday.
WOCHIT

Fans were still cheering the band during hour two, with hits like "November Rain" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" getting the biggest, loudest roars and singalongs.

As the band rounded the two-and-a-half-hour mark, Axl growled through "Night Train," sounding just as fearsome as he had 30 years ago on its debut. While he may not be able to slink around the stage like he did then, he still ran from end to end of the 100-foot wide stage and rarely sounded winded.

Nearing three hours, the band left the stage, feigning the end of the concert before returning to perform "Don't Cry," "Patience," yet another cover of The Who's "The Seeker" and closer "Paradise City."

While the plethora of covers may have dragged the concert out a bit, it's easy to see that the Gunners were eager to give fans their money's worth. Now that the reunited iteration of this group has been on the road for nearly two years, it's clear that they are all about the music, rather than the spectacle.

While GnR were notoriously late for shows in its '90s heyday, the band took the stage promptly, 30 minutes after openers ZZ Top warmed the crowd up with its Texas boogie.

With the band looking and sounding like a tight-knit group again, "It's So Easy" to see why it decided to stretch the tour into its second year and the concerts to just over three hours.

Dave Acosta may be reached at 546-6138; dacosta@elpasotimes.com;@Chuy_Vuitton on Twitter.

Photos: Guns N' Roses and ZZ Top Rock the Sun Bowl
icon-gallery_24.svg
View | 47 Photos
Originally Published 15 hours ago
Updated 4 hours ago

NEWSLETTER

27 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

logo-default.svg icon-caret-up_24.svgicon-mail_24.svg icon-sms_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg

Guns N' Roses sounded like well-oiled machine at Sun Bowl Stadium: Review

DAVE ACOSTA | EL PASO TIMES
4 hours ago
4303072813001_5567949054001_5567934956001-vs.jpg?pubId=4303072813001
Guns N' Roses performed to a nearly-sold-out-crowd on Wednesday night Sept 7, 2017.
PHOTOS BY MARK LAMBIE, EDITED BY SARAH DUENAS/EL PASO TIMES

Before Guns N' Roses took the stage at a packed Sun Bowl Stadium on a cool Wednesday night, an animated video of an old hot rod emblazoned with the "GnR" logo rumbled on three giant video screens.

But when the reunited trio of singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash, bass guitarist Duff McKagan began playing with the rest of the band, they turned up the heat and sounded more like a well-oiled race car.

The band blasted through two songs, "It's So Easy" and "Mr. Brownstone," from its 1987 debut, "Appetite for Destruction," after which front man Rose called the nearly sold-out stadium "boisterous."

From there, fans who paid anywhere from $35 to $250 for a ticket got their money's worth — and then some — as the band performed more than 30 songs — and more than a couple of covers — in just over three hours.

With Rose looking much trimmer than he did just a few years ago, and with the rest of the band in tip-top shape, Guns N' Roses was still chugging away at full speed more than an hour into the show.

By then, fans had already heard rousing renditions of "Welcome to the Jungle," "Estranged," "Live and Let Die" (the first of many covers), "Rocket Queen" and "You Could Be Mine."

The band's current drummer, Frank "Thunderchucker" Ferrer, is nothing short of a beast behind the trap set. Without a doubt, his heavy hand and steady beat is the pacemaker for the 50-plus-year-old hearts of the group's core members.

After the first hour, throughout which the majority of the fans stayed on their feet, Slash proved why he is one of the best guitarists to ever strap on a Les Paul.

Slash's guitar solo led into the radio-favorite and still timely, "Civil War" — and into hour two.

Stretching out its time on stage, the band took on an instrumental cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here," a not-so-good version of Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun," (in tribute to the recently departed Chris Cornell), and the coda to Derek and the Dominoes "Layla," with Slash doing his best Eric Clapton impersonation.

4303072813001_5567120574001_5567102018001-vs.jpg?pubId=4303072813001
The "Sun City" has become "Paradise City" as reunited rockers Guns N' Roses take over Sun Bowl Stadium on Wednesday.
WOCHIT

Fans were still cheering the band during hour two, with hits like "November Rain" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" getting the biggest, loudest roars and singalongs.

As the band rounded the two-and-a-half-hour mark, Axl growled through "Night Train," sounding just as fearsome as he had 30 years ago on its debut. While he may not be able to slink around the stage like he did then, he still ran from end to end of the 100-foot wide stage and rarely sounded winded.

Nearing three hours, the band left the stage, feigning the end of the concert before returning to perform "Don't Cry," "Patience," yet another cover of The Who's "The Seeker" and closer "Paradise City."

While the plethora of covers may have dragged the concert out a bit, it's easy to see that the Gunners were eager to give fans their money's worth. Now that the reunited iteration of this group has been on the road for nearly two years, it's clear that they are all about the music, rather than the spectacle.

While GnR were notoriously late for shows in its '90s heyday, the band took the stage promptly, 30 minutes after openers ZZ Top warmed the crowd up with its Texas boogie.

With the band looking and sounding like a tight-knit group again, "It's So Easy" to see why it decided to stretch the tour into its second year and the concerts to just over three hours.

Dave Acosta may be reached at 546-6138; dacosta@elpasotimes.com;@Chuy_Vuitton on Twitter.

icon-gallery_24.svg
View | 47 Photos
Originally Published 15 hours ago
Updated 4 hours ago

NEWSLETTER

Thanks, BJB for post the review ☺

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Not sure. I think it the rehearsal of maddy he had the black one.

he also has a new guitar, it looks like the green one he uses on CD but it's brownish gray and he used it on Seeker I believe 

So maybe they came that close to doing Madagascar!  Or not, but at this point its exciting enough.

2 hours ago, soon said:

So maybe they came that close to doing Madagascar!  Or not, but at this point its exciting enough.

Haha I was hoping but no, I think that's saved for San Antonio. I know ZZ Top is doing a benefit concert for Houston the day after they open for Guns, the gnr show just happens to fall on a date a lot of people are trying to do a benefit show in San Antonio so maybe we'll see some special guest there tomorrow 

8 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Haha I was hoping but no, I think that's saved for San Antonio. I know ZZ Top is doing a benefit concert for Houston the day after they open for Guns, the gnr show just happens to fall on a date a lot of people are trying to do a benefit show in San Antonio so maybe we'll see some special guest there tomorrow 

Hope for the guests and maddy.  Seems like its gonna be a stand out show in a number of ways!