What Are You Listening To 2017

Rovim

13 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

is this a joke? or did Mick really think it was worthy? geez why post this crap??<_<

well he was loving her to the end right?? :P

One thing that always kinda stuck in my throat regarding blues and the british blues boom and the relation between English rock bands and American music that people seem to pass over a bit is that, particularly in the case of bands like The Stones in their later years, late 70s/80s they were kinda making fun of the blues and American music.  It was, to a point, a send up and a parody of that music.  As kids they were very sort of...earnest about it and were emulating them and indeed a lot of people like Clapton etc maintained that respect but a lot of bands like The Stones didn't.  If you look at it, as time went on, Micks impersonation of an American country singer or an American blues man became more and more exaggerated and more of like...a pisstake really.  I guess when Mick got into the 70s and 80s and he was hanging around the princesses and societal higher ups the only way he could justify what he was doing was by making it out to be a parody.  There is not a lot of respect there...and Far Away Eyes fits into that mould.  He's basically making fun of country music there.  The Beatles are another example of this though they were pretty consistently irreverent in that regard, except when it came to rock n roll.  But I mean their little takes on folk music (Rocky Raccoon) is almost entirely an irreverent parody, Yer Blues, the title is sort of taking the piss out of the idea of English people playing the blues.  It's a weird relationship they had with the music, they clearly loved it on the one hand but we also have a thing here in England, particularly with the working classes, that you cant be seen to be taking a thing, and by extension yourself, too seriously ever, you have to be taking the piss on some level.  

And apparently a lot of people didn't catch onto this.  See my boy J though, sharp as a tack, you gotta know when someones mocking you.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

One thing that always kinda stuck in my throat regarding blues and the british blues boom and the relation between English rock bands and American music that people seem to pass over a bit is that, particularly in the case of bands like The Stones in their later years, late 70s/80s they were kinda making fun of the blues and American music.  It was, to a point, a send up and a parody of that music.  As kids they were very sort of...earnest about it and were emulating them and indeed a lot of people like Clapton etc maintained that respect but a lot of bands like The Stones didn't.  If you look at it, as time went on, Micks impersonation of an American country singer or an American blues man became more and more exaggerated and more of like...a pisstake really.  I guess when Mick got into the 70s and 80s and he was hanging around the princesses and societal higher ups the only way he could justify what he was doing was by making it out to be a parody.  There is not a lot of respect there...and Far Away Eyes fits into that mould.  He's basically making fun of country music there.  The Beatles are another example of this though they were pretty consistently irreverent in that regard, except when it came to rock n roll.  But I mean their little takes on folk music (Rocky Raccoon) is almost entirely an irreverent parody, Yer Blues, the title is sort of taking the piss out of the idea of English people playing the blues.  It's a weird relationship they had with the music, they clearly loved it on the one hand but we also have a thing here in England, particularly with the working classes, that you cant be seen to be taking a thing, and by extension yourself, too seriously ever, you have to be taking the piss on some level.  

that's exactly what i was thinking! and btw i LOVE Rocky Raccoon :D

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

I love that about The Beatles, they never had no fuckin' respect for no one really, not that much.  It's funny, they were sort of the nice clean cut boys apparently but they were on every level cooler than The Stones.  And I mean cool in the purest sense, like unaffected, didn't take things too seriously, they were never purists of anything musically.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that's exactly what i was thinking! and btw i LOVE Rocky Raccoon :D

Oh i love it too, I even love Yer Blues, though the title is a pisstake its actually, to my mind, the most original blues to come out of England precisely because it was not immitating in any sense.  I mean obviously the format was blues but the context is almost purely personal and kinda taking the blues, in terms of the theme, to its nth degree, blue to the point of suicidal, its like The Lennon Blues, pure as you like, it doesnt sound like American blues and isnt trying to, it doesnt come off as immitative or third rate...and the power of Lennons vocal too.

Rocky Raccoon is totally cool too.  You kinda got the feeling with The Beatles that they did certain things or tried certain styles just to prove how they could do it...and how effortlessly.

• Like 1

Personally I think Jagger sounds absolutely ridiculous on them. Just straight up bad. Deserving of at least a STFU. Really undermines a great band imo. Like I'm st-st-stupid or something. It's a shame because musically they're on point. 

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

so who do i post without heart? and sometimes i like to listen to songs i like. my emotions are already effed up, i can't always take the "deep cuts". sorry, guess i am not that cool. but glad you like it :)

No I meant Waylon has heart, unlike Mick dead flowers Jagger.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i tried to find it online to no avail! i have the album somewhere but nothing to play it on. i need to get their music on CD's...

Heres John doing it with Mitch Mitchell, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards on bass, introduced by this threads man of the moment, Mick Jagger.  I didn't mean to start a Mick diss-fest, i actually really like him, i think he's great.

• Like 1