What Are You Listening To 2017

Rovim

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

@Len Cnut you talking about Davy Jones made me want to listen to some Monkees...this is not Davy but Mike Nesmith. i like it! :D

I LOVE The Monkees?  Like unashamedly adore them.  Always have.  It was like the first album I ever had, The Monkees 16 Smash Hits.  Yeah they were manufactured and all that crap but they made some amazing music, Nesmith especially and his particular Texan style, not only vocally but guitar-wise, he was brilliant.  And the kinda songwriters they had behind em like Boyce and Hart and Nilsson etc.  I know to some snotty motherfuckers you don't register on the artistic totem pole unless you write your own songs but quite frankly fuck that, Elvis didn't write his own shit, half the bluesmen out there didn't write their own shit, i don't care, as long as it comes out sounding cool.  

On the topic of Nesmith Monkees tracks though:

• Like 1

And when they got into writing their own shit or picking the songs they wanted to do it weren't all like...poptastic 3 chord British invasion Herman Hermits stuff, it was kinda different and kooky like:

Now how different is that? :)

or:

I mean it's about suicide for cryin' out loud...but with a sense of humour, how many soft necked pop groups make songs like that?

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

And when they got into writing their own shit or picking the songs they wanted to do it weren't all like...poptastic 3 chord British invasion Herman Hermits stuff, it was kinda different and kooky like:

Now how different is that? :)

or:

I mean it's about suicide for cryin' out loud...but with a sense of humour, how many soft necked pop groups make songs like that?

I have 2 much older sisters than I (10+ years) that loved the Monkees. Great memories of listening to their records with them when I was just a little fucker...