British Politics

Gracii Guns

7 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I think this guy should hate Cameron. He was the one who made her Home Secretary. It was Cameron who allowed people from his party to make EU scapegoat for their own incompetence. It was Cameron the one who didn't care about schools, police and NHS. It was Cameron the rat who jumped from a sinking boat after the Brexit referendum.

There is some massive problems with this DUP thing. Huge mistake, this, both from a national and Tory point of view.

Firstly you'll have the interesting prospect of two Tory leaders, one highly successful, who resuscitated Toryism in Scotland by introducing 'likeability'; you'll also have another Tory leader, a complete flop in Westminster who climbs in bed with an anti-homosexuality/abortion party. You can already see the fault lines in the party!

Secondly, since John Major the British government has maintained strict neutrality between the two warring Northern Irish factions. This has remained vitally so for the peace process, and to ally the Westminster government with the (extreme end of the) loyalist faction at a time when power-sharing has broken down seems reckless in the extreme, imperiling the peace process there!

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is some massive problems with this DUP thing. Huge mistake, this, both from a national and Tory point of view.

Firstly you'll have the interesting prospect of two Tory leaders, one highly successful, who resuscitated Toryism in Scotland by introducing 'likeability'; you'll also have another Tory leader, a complete flop in Westminster who climbs in bed with an anti-homosexuality/abortion party. You can already see the fault lines in the party!

Secondly, since John Major the British government has maintained strict neutrality between the two warring Northern Irish factions. This has remained vitally so for the peace process, and to ally the Westminster government with the (extreme end of the) loyalist faction at a time when power-sharing has broken down seems reckless in the extreme, imperiling the peace process there!

Agree. But what other alternative May has? No other party wants to join Tories. Even if she steps aside as PM.  She has to pick someone else from her party. Tories are on life support. They have to deal with this somehow. Or ask Corbyn to form government

3 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

They don't like Catholics either, so you have that in common. :shrugs:

They don't like anyone to be honest, that doesn't classify themselves as white British. fyi I should point out that half my family is a protestant back ground from one of the areas where everyone votes for them.

You think Nuttal was bad, this guy might end up in Theresa's May cabinet at the current rate;

The DUP have always been in Westminster as fringe figures, they love the more hardline policies that the more right wing Tories have that would never normally get passed.

If you've ever watched PM's Questions and heard someone in a Northern Irish accent saying "Mr. Speaker, does the PM agree with me that Brexit and Trump is already resounding success and that the saboteurs are pathetic!", that's one of them. The news at 6 'Clock normally skips over their antics/questions, that's why most of the rest of the UK has no idea who they are.

Most of this part of the country voted overwhelming to remain including regions they represent, but they're more Brexit than any party that actually has seats.

If you're wondering why the DUP/Sinn Finn actually win seats in the first place despite the whole terroism thing, it's completely down to religion. Northern Ireland politically is divided amongst Rangers fans and Celtic fans. 

Edited by AtariLegend

4 hours ago, Padme said:

Agree. But what other alternative May has? No other party wants to join Tories. Even if she steps aside as PM.  She has to pick someone else from her party. Tories are on life support. They have to deal with this somehow. Or ask Corbyn to form government

I see no other alternative but another election if I'm honest. The other parties all seem to be reiterating the ''no coalition'' line; if they softened that stance, it is possible you could envision a Tory-Lib Dem ''Soft Brexit coalition'' (this would please Atari and other remainers I suspect) by which the Lib Dems work with the pro-EU Tories (you'd probably need Theresa's head to roll for this to occur, somebody like Amber Rudd taking over). Even less likely would be a Tory-Labour coalition. It is of course possible that the Tories established looser arrangements with the chamber by which MPs vote ad hoc on individual legislation and the Tory whips have to scurry around at midnight grabbing MPs' votes - these governments rarely last.

You have to remember that it would only take a few 'nays' from the Tory Europhiles, Ken Clarke for instance, for May's majority to be shattered. The problem now is really not Labour's gains but the Tories themselves. Never underestimate the Tories' ability to squabble over 'Europe'.

You could envision a defeat in the Commons on a piece of Euro legislation, a leadership change and/or a snap election.

PS

If Theresa goes, she will certainly not be the one picking her replacement. The Tories are absolutely ruthless at deposing their leaders by the way, case in point the whole history of Thatcher which began with a leadership grab against Heath and ended with her own demise at the hands of Tarzan. Boris et al. will be sharpening the knives.

Edited by DieselDaisy

14 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

They don't like Catholics either, so you have that in common. :shrugs:

Oh they love you lot. Sammy Wilson, MP East Antrim voiced approval for Catholics to be ''expelled, nullified, or interned''!

The ironic thing is historically the Tories have absolutely nothing in common with these people, being as they are a party which owes its foundation to high-church - the term ''tory'' itself, deriving from Irish, was used pejoratively to mean ''Irish (Catholic) rebel''. This DUP thing is incredibly bad news, both for the Conservative party and Northern Ireland.

On 6/10/2017 at 7:23 AM, Dazey said:

I hadn't actually realised just what a monumental bunch of cunts the DUP are.

The real sorta bastards that prevent the Irish from having their country back in full combined with cuntery disguised as piety. What more could you want? 

Ireland has it's own country, it's called the Republic of Ireland.

More than 2/3 of the population of the North doesn't support a united Ireland including Catholics that don't live on paramilitary council estates. If their was an overwhelming desire amongst the electorate there already would have been one. The rest of the UK has nothing to gain from keeping Northern Ireland around apart from Game of Thrones.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

The real sorta bastards that prevent the Irish from having their country back in full combined with cuntery disguised as piety. What more could you want? 

You are adopting a typically foreigners' over simplification of proceedings I'm afraid from the complex world of Northern Irish sectarianism. The Loyalist community are Irish; they have been in Ireland since the 17th century; they consider themselves equally as 'Irish' as Catholic-Republicans (north and south of the border). I'm certainly not defending the DUP, but if you view the historical backgrounds of many of their recently elected Members of Parliament, they are filled with executions of family members at the hands of the IRA.

That I believe offers an explanation as to the extremity of their viewpoint.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, Padme said:

Trump's visit put on hold. He told May he was not coming to the UK because it would add more fuel to the fire. Not his words but that's pretty much what he meant

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold

Trump shows more common sense than May?  :huh: :confused:

He cancelled his visit because he's a whiny little bitch and doesn't want to come because people are being mean to him. Basically he's said that until we're ready to welcome him with open arms the visit's on hold. So I guess no state visits until the next president takes office then.

WHINY!

LITTLE!

BITCH!

• Like 1

Read that the DUP want Farage made a Lord and given a government role or else Farage and Arron Banks will attempt put together some mischief for the Tories. The whole thing just keeps getting bonkers.

...And why is Farage still on TV? UKIP polled 2%, they've never even won a seat before (not counting Carswell winning a seat he already held for years as a Tory before jumping ship, then quiting UKIP afterwards). Farage has lost more times in elections, than PM's we've had in the past 25 years.

I feel bad for the Greens, more votes than Sinn Fein/DUP put together (for their 17 seats) and only got 1. They've actually won a seat and polled the same as UKIP, yet the media doesn't care about them.

Edited by AtariLegend

7 hours ago, Padme said:

Trump's visit put on hold. He told May he was not coming to the UK because it would add more fuel to the fire. Not his words but that's pretty much what he meant

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold

Trump shows more common sense than May?  :huh: :confused:

Nah, he pretty much meant that he doesn't want to come because we're not gonna be nice to him. He knows we hate him, and we're not opposed to displaying that. What an immature child he is.

From 2 years ago;

DUP MP Gregory Campbell wants sale of Ouija boards regulated

The DUP's Gregory Campbell has been told that the Government has no plans to regulate the sale of Ouija boards.

The MP for East Londonderry asked the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills to regulate the sale of the 'spirit boards'.

Responding to the question on Monday Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson from the department, said that the government has no plans to regulate the sale of the items.

A DUP Spokesman said: "Mr Campbell was asked about the issue by a constituent and tabled the question on their behalf.

"He has passed on the reply to his constituent for their information."

The boards are usually a piece of wood with letters, numbers and a planchette that is supposed to indicate a spirit's message by spelling it out during a séance.

It is not the first time that Ouija boards issue has arisen with DUP members.

In the 2006 biography 'Iris: An Intimate Portrait' the DUP leader Peter Robinson and his wife Iris recall a time when they suspected their home was haunted leading to the discovery of a board in their attic.

In the book by Lorraine Wylie, the First Minister's wife Iris recalls an inexplicable incident that sent the couple searching for a new home.

Iris said: "We were renting a house at Lenaghan, one of Belfast's quiet, residential areas. From the moment we moved in, I hated the place. I really can't explain the atmosphere but it was definitely eerie.

"I recall one time when I awoke to the sound of someone moving around downstairs. At first I just lay there listening. Then Peter wakened and, like me, he too heard the noise. We were certain there was an intruder."

Mr Robinson continued the story: "I assumed we had a burglar. I grabbed a stool and went to investigate. To my amazement, there was no one there. A few days later friends visited and they also heard noises. Yet, after searching the place, we discovered nothing.

"It was only when we were moving that we found things like Ouija boards in the attic. At some point the house had been a venue for occult practices. We were happy to leave."

Sourcehttp://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-mp-gregory-campbell-wants-sale-of-ouija-boards-regulated-31094502.html

Edited by AtariLegend

4 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

From 2 years ago;

DUP MP Gregory Campbell wants sale of Ouija boards regulated

The DUP's Gregory Campbell has been told that the Government has no plans to regulate the sale of Ouija boards.

The MP for East Londonderry asked the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills to regulate the sale of the 'spirit boards'.

Responding to the question on Monday Liberal Democrat MP Jo Swinson from the department, said that the government has no plans to regulate the sale of the items.

A DUP Spokesman said: "Mr Campbell was asked about the issue by a constituent and tabled the question on their behalf.

"He has passed on the reply to his constituent for their information."

The boards are usually a piece of wood with letters, numbers and a planchette that is supposed to indicate a spirit's message by spelling it out during a séance.

It is not the first time that Ouija boards issue has arisen with DUP members.

In the 2006 biography 'Iris: An Intimate Portrait' the DUP leader Peter Robinson and his wife Iris recall a time when they suspected their home was haunted leading to the discovery of a board in their attic.

In the book by Lorraine Wylie, the First Minister's wife Iris recalls an inexplicable incident that sent the couple searching for a new home.

Iris said: "We were renting a house at Lenaghan, one of Belfast's quiet, residential areas. From the moment we moved in, I hated the place. I really can't explain the atmosphere but it was definitely eerie.

"I recall one time when I awoke to the sound of someone moving around downstairs. At first I just lay there listening. Then Peter wakened and, like me, he too heard the noise. We were certain there was an intruder."

Mr Robinson continued the story: "I assumed we had a burglar. I grabbed a stool and went to investigate. To my amazement, there was no one there. A few days later friends visited and they also heard noises. Yet, after searching the place, we discovered nothing.

"It was only when we were moving that we found things like Ouija boards in the attic. At some point the house had been a venue for occult practices. We were happy to leave."

Sourcehttp://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-mp-gregory-campbell-wants-sale-of-ouija-boards-regulated-31094502.html

Religious loonies in religious lunacy shocker!!!!! 

:lol:

So are we to understand the DUP are now Atari's bête noire and no longer Theresa May and the British newspapers?

PS

I'm really reminded of the saying, ''careful what you wish for'' here. You did not desire a Theresa May majority. You obtained it, but are now staring in the face of a minority propped up by a party who make the Tories look like the Lib Dems. If Europe is your main issue then Theresa May, she who voted 'remain', is positively a baguette eating beret wearing continental among such certifiable Eurosceptics as the DUP, Boris and Gove! The only solution to this: complete political deadlock! Is this really a better outcome for you than a strong Conservative majority?

Edited by DieselDaisy