If Axl likes Slash and Duff's playing on CD songs...

2 minutes ago, 98izzark said:

Ok now you're just trying to troll the forum

Nope, I cannot think of a single song besides 'My World' which is worse than anything on Chinese Democracy. 'Get in the Ring' for instance is an absolute stinker of a song but at least it has the saving grace of possessing some good Slash leads.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nope, I cannot think of a single song besides 'My World' which is worse than anything on Chinese Democracy. 'Get in the Ring' for instance is an absolute stinker of a song but at least it has the saving grace of possessing some good Slash leads.

Oh ok I thought you were saying it was the only song better than anything off Chinese 

On 8/5/2017 at 3:16 AM, Wagszilla said:

The record company owns the rights everything prior to February 2004 as that was on their dime. This would be a minimum of the 12 songs / song titles we know about. 

I've heard it said that Guns owes Universal one more album to fulfill their contract. 

We don't know the details of the contract, whether Azoff renegotiated that contract with the release of CD, etc.

But I'd imagine they're largely up shit's creek if the record company doesn't want to do anything.

In a perfect world, they would release the regular album and a chronology box-set in the future.

Or Axl fucks off with this AC/DC nonsense, releases CD II solo / as a new band and records a new album with Slash and Duff or retires GNR. 

There's no way that Universal don't want to release a new Guns record. There was a question around 2012-2014, but now they'd cream their pants to release a new record (with Slash playing on it).

9 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

The questions are: (1) release what (2) at what cost (3) to whom will the cost be incurred?

If you're both parties, you want a hit record because that makes you money, makes you relevant, and allows you to keep touring / releasing music / making money. Does Axl have any hit songs in the vault?

If you're the record company, not only do you want to release music but you also want a cut of the tour profits (the only way to make money off music in these perilous times). Keep in mind that a sticking point of the Axl / Azoff divorce was over this very issue of touring profits.

atlas_S16RQMaHb@2x.png

If Axl is dead set on releasing CD II / music from Chinese Democracy era sessions, how does the record company feel about that? How do Slash and Duff feel about that? How much monetary support would the record company give it? What sort of faustian bargain will each side strike to get what they want?

The problem is right now Guns N' Roses is a complete nostalgia act. The lineup is essentially a UYI clone. This isn't a band that suggests making a couple record run at it. Axl is aging, etc. If you think I'm being critical, the record company execs are 10x this savage.

If they arent under a contract, they dont really need a record label anymore, I dont see the point of it. Slash's been doing it at his own for a while now. They have the money, they have the equipment, they have the goods. 

And right now it is a reunion tour, what Axl did between 2010-2014 was a nostalgia act. 

We need to wait until this tour is over to start calling it a nostalgia band or not. 

If they plan to release an album it'll only be done after the tour, cause right now I believe they are still testing waters to see if the band and specially their relationship will work. I believe right now they're pretty sure the reunion went great and maybe they're already preparing something, but they're doing it carefully and slowly so it will not overcharge anyone, they dont want to take any risks. 

We gotta be patient right now, tour is almost over and then its time to focus on this subject. 

People here dont seem to understand the process of an idea, writting, composing, the pre-production, recording, post production and then releasing... Its not that easy, specially when you're one of the biggest bands on earth and it doesnt take Chinese Democracy long to get done, but its not that fast either. I expect something to be released in 2019. 

Edited by default_

25 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

They are under contract.

They owe the record company one more album to fulfill said contract and the record company owns the rights to the vault material.

And many people understand the intricacies of recording / releasing an album from the ground up just fine.

Lastly the rumor is that solo ventures will resume in 2018 after the "reunion" tour. So the soonest they would start that process is 2019 meaning, at best, the album in 2020.

So, NITL live album and then go indies, I think thats the best way for them. 

It takes a lot more than that to release a record.

- Perfect timing

- Knowing if it's worth to release an album and pay royalties to musicians who aren't in the band anymore.

- Knowing if Slash and Duff are interested in re-recording those parts on those songs.

- Pick which songs they wanna be on.

- What to delete and change from the already existing material.

- Negotiating with the label on fees and promotional ideas.

- The management of the band, trying to negotiate a better payday for them as well. Sponsors etc etc...