If Axl likes Slash and Duff's playing on CD songs...

4 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

In your subjective view, maybe.

The most frequently mentioned songs from Chinese Democracy (thus arguably important to Axl) were always The Blues, There Was A Time, and IRS. Ever since '99.

Catcher was always mentioned, Madagascar was always mentioned, the title track was always the title track, and Prostitute was always important. 

There are multiple abstract and obscurant viewpoints to the record if you've taken enough time to explore and to listen. 

Even if this weren't, you'd still be pulling statements out of your ass. 

Yea of course I would be Axl came on here and told me that he'd like us to listen to the record and get our own take from it before he tells what he was writing about...I'm still F'n waiting! 

Edited by IncitingChaos

19 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Why do you care what I think? I'm sorry I insulted your precious Illusions, but I'm hardly the first person here or elsewhere who has referred to them as bloated.

Please elaborate on how Axl Rose solo music is superior to GNR discography!

They should release CD II with Robin's, Buckethead's and Paul Tobias's guitars only. Those three guitarists are the most important of the CD sessions.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

The best thing about CD was the instrumentals. Take the vocals off the tracks and you have a solid record

i disagree completely! there are some riffs in there but nothing much else to me! but whatever thats just my taste...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Some songs have good hooks and choruses (Better, IRS, Shackers) but it's largely carried by Axl's voice. Just like a lot of UYI material.

i disagree here. id say pretty much every song on the illusions is at least a good song. lots of them are great. some are just fantastic. I mean, even the weaker ones (weaker when compared to pure gold stuff like you could be mine, civil war etc) are at least good songs. they would be good even without axl voice. thank god for axl voice/melody lines/vocal delivery cause of course 99% of the time it makes all of them even better! 

if you listen to GNR instrumentals you notice how well structured the songs are and how much dynamics and flow they have. very few bands have this quality. it's pretty much never dull. never boring. take shotguns blues for example. a lot of people here say it is the worst song on the album. listen to THIS. tell me if it is not a perfectly decent and listenable song -- even without axl voice! tell me how many bands wouldnt kill and steal to write that song!

Now compair it to THIS. There is like zero progression for 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Its basically the same riff played over and over with different "arrangements" for each part. The song doesnt fucking go anywehere! Of course the riff is good so it feels good and of course at 2m45s the song "explodes" or "let loose" but it is not enough and before you see it they are playing the same old riff again. It's like if they played the Jungle rif for the entire song. It makes no sense!

every GNR song has this quality of "going somewhere" (and "taking you" there). it begins here then it goes there and then it takes a turn to that place and then it gets back to the start and does it a again and then there is a slash solo (sometime over a new part) and sometimes there is an outro... and you just go with it! you never get bored!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I made it clear in the OP I'm a CD era fan. I only like about half of AFD actually, though I recognize most of it is great. As for UYI, stuff like Perfect Crime, Garden Of Eden and Shotgun Blues is bland garbage to me.

When are you people going to realise that there is no 'CD era' :facepalm:

There's only the GNR era ('85-'96), and then there's Axl's solo band and all its different incarnations, including the current one.

Oh, and a CD fan calling UYI songs 'bland garbage' ... ???  :facepalm:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

There's only the GNR era ('85-'96), and then there's Axl's solo band and all its different incarnations, including the current one.

Lol

14 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Is he seriously not going to release a single piece of music this decade?

Since 2009, Axl is an entertainer. He's retired as a composer/art maker. He sings songs for a paycheck. He has a band and works for another one.

I would love to ask Axl this hypothetical: "If Twat and This I Love were still unreleased songs, would you be willing to compromise and remove all of Bucket and Robin's parts and have Slash re-record them, just so as to get a record out?" 

I personally hope the answer would be no because Slash and Duff would listen to that solo, hear the value in it and be happy to leave it well alone. 

As people have said, at this point the brand and millions of dollars are at stake meaning a shitload of people involved in the biz opposed to doing anything that would dilute the brand and future earning potential. 

So how about a compromise in the form of e.g. an iTunes/Tidal 'box set' of all the unreleased stuff including demos/alts and everything and then the current band are clear to start writing afresh. The interest in the Chinese stuff would be very limited and the vast majority of the casual fans attending the current reunion shows would likely not even hear much about them. It wouldn't hurt the re-invigorated brand.

They can them tour and promote the new album and throw in a few Chinese 2 and 3 rarities and everybody's happy. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

I said "bland garbage to me", as in MY OPINION. Seems fans of the classic band are insecure about anyone preferring the CD stuff, even if it's by far the minority opinion.

I'd like this stuff to be released as an Axl solo record, I like half of CD and I'm really interested in the other songs they did, but not under the Guns N' Roses name, cause it isnt Guns N' Roses.

Oh, and if half of the Illusions are garbage fillers, to me half of CD is.

If you want respect, respect.

Edited by default_

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i disagree here. id say pretty much every song on the illusions is at least a good song. lots of them are great. some are just fantastic. I mean, even the weaker ones (weaker when compared to pure gold stuff like you could be mine, civil war etc) are at least good songs. they would be good even without axl voice. thank god for axl voice/melody lines/vocal delivery cause of course 99% of the time it makes all of them even better! 

if you listen to GNR instrumentals you notice how well structured the songs are and how much dynamics and flow they have. very few bands have this quality. it's pretty much never dull. never boring. take shotguns blues for example. a lot of people here say it is the worst song on the album. listen to THIS. tell me if it is not a perfectly decent and listenable song -- even without axl voice! tell me how many bands wouldnt kill and steal to write that song!

Now compair it to THIS. There is like zero progression for 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Its basically the same riff played over and over with different "arrangements" for each part. The song doesnt fucking go anywehere! Of course the riff is good so it feels good and of course at 2m45s the song "explodes" or "let loose" but it is not enough and before you see it they are playing the same old riff again. It's like if they played the Jungle rif for the entire song. It makes no sense!

every GNR song has this quality of "going somewhere" (and "taking you" there). it begins here then it goes there and then it takes a turn to that place and then it gets back to the start and does it a again and then there is a slash solo (sometime over a new part) and sometimes there is an outro... and you just go with it! you never get bored!

Thank you, very well explained.  I would say your last para applies especially to UYI albums and definitely the underrated Vol. 1 which features some of the best Izzy songs and perfectly demonstrates your 'here' to 'there' then 'everywhere else' analogy - a progression VR songs distinctly lack.  I'm constantly baffled by those who dismiss UYI outright as filler (which songs could be considered filler?  I'm really curious).  I can only imagine it's because some of the songs are a bit structurally challenging i.e. not following strict verse, chorus, verse and people don't like that.  I will concede that Axl is guilty of over-writing and over-singing, always has been.  Songs can be too long, he puts vocals over music when he shouldn't.  Locomotive, which is fucking insane, does suffer from this a bit, but the pay-off at the end is heavenly, so he's forgiven. ^^

On the subject of new material: Tommy Stinson said in Jan this year that there was a lot of material already written from his line-up and a lot from just before old Guns broke up and his words were that this material , "Should see the light of day," as in, he thinks Axl wants to/plans to release it.  But as to HOW the material would see the light of day in terms of how will it be presented (old Guns covering nuGuns songs?  Chuck them all as is on a double CD?  Release a series of EPs from different line-ups?) that's the tricky part. 

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I said "bland garbage to me", as in MY OPINION. Seems fans of the classic band are insecure about anyone preferring the CD stuff, even if it's by far the minority opinion.

Sounds like you don't like GnR's punk rock songs. Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden, Right Next Door to Hell, etc are all punk-metal songs which is a GnR specialty. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Hey Guns N' Roses fans,

You fuckin' rock. Thanks for stickin' with us through all the fuckin' shit.

We hope you're enjoying the Not In This Lifetime... Tour, we've played XX cities across the globe since the tour started in 2016 and we're excited to see all of our fans in the US in this fall. 

But we wanted to announce a new addition to the Nightrain membership subscription. Something special for the fans. It's called NIGHTRAIN PREMIERE.

In addition to membership perks such as exclusive behind-the-scenes photos, access to our official Guns N' Roses message board, and early access pre-sale ticket codes, we will be offering digital downloads of UNRELEASED Guns N' Roses songs for the next calendar year. We will be posting one new song per month in high quality for all you downloading motherfuckers out there.

We will also be posting new lyric videos, video commentaries from Guns N' Roses members past and present, and other great exclusive content.

If you want to hear more about it, take a look at the video below to hear from Axl, Slash, and Duff on NIGHTRAIN PREMIERE:

This month's song: ATLAS SHRUGGED

So what are you waiting for? Get on board today. Or... 

GUNS N' ROSES

This is a great idea. And that's exactly why it will never happen. This band will go in the opposite direction and bury it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

It never fails to amaze me how members on here can name drop song titles like 'Atlas Shrugged' and discuss it and possible Slash/Duff contributions to it when the song itself simply does not exist. 

Why do people always talk about them? Where do these names come from? Has anyone said they heard them? Am i asking too many question?

i didn't follow nuGuns so i know nothing:lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wagszilla said:

It never fails to amaze me how members on here can pull statements out of their ass when:

• Tom Zutaut
  • Classic Rock
  • Axl
  • Bumblefoot

Have all confirmed it's existence.

In addition, insiders have mentioned that Slash and Duff were in the studio played on the track in early 2016. That last one could be taken with a grain of salt.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

What sort of song is it? can you put some links in so i can catch up please?

Edited by janrichmond