Excited About GNR future

On 9/7/2017 at 8:09 AM, downzy said:

Are you really going to suggest that comparing a band with one original/classic member to bands like U2 or Metallica is a fair comparison?

To just address this quickly without derailing the thread further - that's why I also compared Axl to guys like Dave Grohl who did exceptionally with his own solo venture while not tarnishing the brand and reputation of Nirvana. Whatever Axl did for the last 20 years, even if you're a diehard fan of Chinese, diminished not only the brand of GnR but also the Axl Rose brand. That story ends with Interscope allegedly rejecting a release of Chinese Democracy 2 and with Nu Guns going bankrupt in 2014 with no cashflow to pay former employees and lawsuits being filed to recover uncollected wages. 

The comparison to U2 and Metallica is with regards to 3 bands that started roughly within the same time frame, achieved very similar levels of peak popularity in the same era, and were all primed to dominate the latter half of the 90's into the 2000's. My opinion (along with several others) is that U2 and Metallica largely accomplished that. GnR could have but did not due to breaking up. That's why many of their peers/critics believed the band could have been the next rolling stones had they continued. Since they chose not to put out new material, that level of stature was no longer a possibility.

Your point regarding them peaking at the right time with their best material and avoiding potentially putting out bad albums and further tarnishing their reputation and popularity (and thereby never becoming a Rolling Stones level band) is taken. As is your point about the bulk of their popularity being derived from their peak work. Given how the band has endured and the level of interest seen in the recent tour would suggest to me that they had every chance of continuing into the 90's successfully had they released more material. I'm also of the opinion that the members of GnR (Axl, Slash, Izzy, and Duff) were peaking as musicians/artists during the mid 90's - mid 2000's. Flashes of potential can be seen in their released work during that time frame. Even The Spaghetti Incident showcases a band that was sounding tighter and really coming into their own (imho) even if the cover material wasn't all that great or well suited to their style. So that's really where we part ways here: I think GnR was capable of extending their peak by a good 5-10 years had they stayed together and put out more albums. I think those albums had every chance of being just as great as previous material because they were peaking as artists during that time frame (imho). I think they would have consolidated their existing fans and built a new fanbase - they would have been a bigger band by virtue of their longevity. Had they stuck around for another 5-10 years, they would have had the longevity to be compared with the bands that inspired them like Aerosmith, AC/DC and the stones. Just my 2 cents.

If your assessment is true, then how is GNR crushing both U2 and Metallica this year?  

Simple. Novelty and nostalgia go a long way. To the general public, GnR has been gone since 1993. Anticipation has built. As others have pointed out, this would be the same scenario if U2 or Metallica had broken up around the same time - they would also be touring sold out stadiums.

Are you really going to argue that there's that much demand for a band that, according to you, produced just one great album?

Yes, because Appetite for Destruction is a landmark album that has endured and largely stood the test of time. Despite the PR onslaught from Axl's antics and gen-x critics who viewed grunge as a more legitimate movement trying to diminish GnR's impact, that has still not entirely altered the narrative of what a remarkable band GnR was. 

If Nirvana was on tour right now with a resurrected Kurt Cobain, they would be touring at roughly the same level of popularity as GnR. Like GnR, their career is largely built off one landmark album and a very good followup (that was much better received than UYI).

Edited by RONIN
  • GNFNR 1

31 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Simple. Novelty and nostalgia go a long way. To the general public, GnR has been gone since 1993. Anticipation has built. As others have pointed out, this would be the same scenario if U2 or Metallica had broken up around the same time - they would also be touring sold out stadiums.

I also think it is part of this current phenomenom we're living in called "retromania", something that works as a nostalgia reviival of pop culture and rock is included.

Here's an interesting article that explains what's happening-

Total recall: why retromania is all the rage?

Edited by killuridols

24 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I also think it is part of this current phenomenom we're living in called "retromania", something that works as a nostalgia reviival of pop culture and rock is included.

Here's an interesting article that explains what's happening-

Total recall: why retromania is all the rage?

For sure. If enough times goes by, anything out of vogue can be resurrected and made mainstream again. Pop culture seems to go in cycles. 

19 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Normally, I'm against tampering with arrangements or vocals, but if I had a magic wand, it'd be reeeeeally tempting to fix Locomotive.  To this day I get irritated by Axl's vocals over the outro.  I curse him every time I listen to it (which is a lot).  Spoils what is otherwise a masterpiece.  I can live with all his other indulgences.

When I compare AFD to other CDs I have from the same era, even same year, AFD is still quieter than those.  I know what you mean about modern CDs sounding too loud and that's also annoying.  Maybe my gear isn't as good as I think it is, or maybe I'm just a glutton for hearing every itty bitty sound with perfect clarity. :lol:

I think AFD might be slightly on the quiet side, youre right.  But for the clarity I think it captures the guitar tones really well.  Izzy has a thinner tone and if we can hear both guitars theres just the push and pull of all the factors.  And yeah, it leaves some blurriness so to speak and you just might be a glutton for clarity, lol!  Also, Slash has dramatically changed his tone from what we heard on AFD.  With enough db to drown out other guitarists.  Sometimes when I listen to AFD Im shocked by how much his sound changed.

If they remastered I would only support a slight master volume increase, none of the rest of it changed.  Mastering often uses multi-band compressors to boost volumes and emphasize certain spectrums of the eq - I say leave that set as is.  And NO peak limiters!!!!!!!!!  :headbang:

1 hour ago, soon said:

I think AFD might be slightly on the quiet side, youre right.  But for the clarity I think it captures the guitar tones really well.  Izzy has a thinner tone and if we can hear both guitars theres just the push and pull of all the factors.  And yeah, it leaves some blurriness so to speak and you just might be a glutton for clarity, lol!  Also, Slash has dramatically changed his tone from what we heard on AFD.  With enough db to drown out other guitarists.  Sometimes when I listen to AFD Im shocked by how much his sound changed.

If they remastered I would only support a slight master volume increase, none of the rest of it changed.  Mastering often uses multi-band compressors to boost volumes and emphasize certain spectrums of the eq - I say leave that set as is.  And NO peak limiters!!!!!!!!!  :headbang:

That's interesting, in what way has his tone changed?  I'm not a muso and my untrained ears don't pick up things like that with guitars...I only notice anything to do with bass. lol  What's a peak limiter?

58 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

That's interesting, in what way has his tone changed?  I'm not a muso and my untrained ears don't pick up things like that with guitars...I only notice anything to do with bass. lol  What's a peak limiter?

I'll do my best to communicate it.  Im a poor communicator, but I do understand this stuff, lol.  If I get confused and mis state anything, we will both benefit from others corrections.

An equalizer pedal boosting all the frequencies is the main change.  For UYI and TSI it became much more saturated - meaning that more frequencies are represented in the overall sound.  Not only louder but with many of the highs, mediums and lows boosted using an equalizer pedal.  The sound is 'wetter' too - not only with a bigger reverb pocket but with a lot more high end and fuzzy, creamy mids.  Went from a classic rock tone on AFD to something one might call a heavy metal sound for UYI.  On the tour he was so loud, and so saturated that there ws little room for keys and rhythm guitar.  Theres places on AFD where he is the secondary guitar in the mix, his UYI sound made that impossible.  So, for me, since Ive heard AFD songs with his UYI rig, sometimes AFD album sounds small in comparison.  To my ears the tone on NR first two solos really showcases the saturation as compared to AFD.

Other gear heads would do a much better job explaining the amps he's used over time.  He used a legendary one on AFD and the best I can do is provide links to some stuff on it.

http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/amps/the-appetite-amp-story/sweet-marshall-o-mine/

http://www.slashparadise.com/site/equipment-guitars-amps-effects-slash.php

A peak limiter is another piece of audio gear.  Its used by mastering engineers to boost loudness.  Its one of the main culprits in the 'dynamic compression' of the loudness wars.  Small sounds can sit with loud sounds and be equally audible in an unnatural way, as well. Dynamics are lost. 

This video does an okay job explaining what happens, even though it doesnt explicitly state how. But you can visually see how the peaks of the volume are squished:

http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limiter

RHCPs Californication and that hit album by Arctic Monkeys suffer most from it.  Things can sound plunky and shrill.  Add in the compression on an MP3 and there are those who believe it is harmful to humans (Im not sold on that).

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

@soon This is an awesome explanation, thanks so much. :thumbsup: And you're a good communicator!  About to dive into those links.  Shrill is a good word - a new release album I'm currently listing to is exactly that. 

I get it now.  Suddenly I don't want anyone messing around with AFD. lol  Have to wonder what made Slash decide to change his tone though, and if Izzy or Gilby ever noticed they were getting drowned out.

21 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Have to wonder what made Slash decide to change his tone though, and if Izzy or Gilby ever noticed they were getting drowned out.

Glad my explanations made sense - I suffer brain fog.  And even more glad if I converted you away from AFD remaster! :lol::headbang:

Slash was open in his desire to be in a one guitar band.  It seems possible his ego drove the new tone.

I'd say at least Gilby was explicit about the mix on UYI:

Q- Didn't you play your first GN'R show with them two weeks later?
A- Yeah, it was ridiculous. Two weeks! After a week of auditions, Slash called me up and told me I had the job, and that the band wanted to start touring the following week. I had to learn 50 songs in one week, and play them in front of thousands of people. My second gig was Madison Square Garden! I would come to rehearsal, play what I had learned, then go home and learn five more songs. I didn't sleep for two solid weeks - all I did was play guitar. To make matters worse, nobody really seemed to know what Izzy played. I would perform something, and Slash would say, "I thought you knew this tune." And I'd argue that I did. And then he'd say, "No you don't - you're playing my part!" And then we'd realize that you couldn't really hear Izzy's part on some of the songs. So then we had to try to reconstruct his parts the best we could. Duff knew what Izzy had played more than anyone, so I leaned on Duff a lot.

But it also might have been a blessing in disguise. It gave everyone in the band the opportunity to suggest a fresh approach. I think they were giving me stuff to play that they always wanted to hear, but Izzy would never do. So my rhythm parts are a combination of Izzy's original ideas, some of my ideas and a few additional ideas provided by the band.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=77 

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

23 hours ago, killuridols said:

Oh please... a new greatest hits album??

Yeah, right.... what would be the new greatest hits?

I think they put all there is out there in the first one :lol:

How a bout greatest cover hits -album? (chosen amongst all their covers, not just the ones that they have released on albums)   Let's say; an album including 3 different versions of the Seeker (since Axl loves it so much) and few instrumentals.. :D

Edited by Fourteenbeers

29 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

That's not what you think. That's what you read on another forum ;-)

Haha don't they have Atlas Shrugged being released as a single though? I can't imagine that. 

Before my post people were talking nonsense that had nothing to do with the future. But my little post seemed to have gotten people back on track on the future of gnr. Which is why I implied "we" are thinking...as in, "are these the items that we have heard about despite the source" either way it got people thinking and facilitating talk about what may be coming. 

Ive been saying the Los Angeles Blu Ray is coming all year long...we have proof that that show was recorded to be released. I'm always surprised to hear people act like that's made up nonsense and nothing's confirmed until HTGTH says there is. 

21 hours ago, soon said:

Glad my explanations made sense - I suffer brain fog.  And even more glad if I converted you away from AFD remaster! :lol::headbang:

Slash was open in his desire to be in a one guitar band.  It seems possible his ego drove the new tone.

I'd say at least Gilby was explicit about the mix on UYI:

Q- Didn't you play your first GN'R show with them two weeks later?
A- Yeah, it was ridiculous. Two weeks! After a week of auditions, Slash called me up and told me I had the job, and that the band wanted to start touring the following week. I had to learn 50 songs in one week, and play them in front of thousands of people. My second gig was Madison Square Garden! I would come to rehearsal, play what I had learned, then go home and learn five more songs. I didn't sleep for two solid weeks - all I did was play guitar. To make matters worse, nobody really seemed to know what Izzy played. I would perform something, and Slash would say, "I thought you knew this tune." And I'd argue that I did. And then he'd say, "No you don't - you're playing my part!" And then we'd realize that you couldn't really hear Izzy's part on some of the songs. So then we had to try to reconstruct his parts the best we could. Duff knew what Izzy had played more than anyone, so I leaned on Duff a lot.

But it also might have been a blessing in disguise. It gave everyone in the band the opportunity to suggest a fresh approach. I think they were giving me stuff to play that they always wanted to hear, but Izzy would never do. So my rhythm parts are a combination of Izzy's original ideas, some of my ideas and a few additional ideas provided by the band.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=77 

Many thanks again.  I'd actually read this quote before but now I understand it better, especially the part about not being able to hear Izzy.  

On that note, and back on topic, I do believe that we'll hear from Izzy (not sure about Steven, maybe) in the future.  I think they'll get their shit sorted eventually.  And who knows, maybe after seeing how successful and well received this tour has been, everyone will be a little more willing to negotiate the 'loot'? 

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Many thanks again.  I'd actually read this quote before but now I understand it better, especially the part about not being able to hear Izzy.  

On that note, and back on topic, I do believe that we'll hear from Izzy (not sure about Steven, maybe) in the future.  I think they'll get their shit sorted eventually.  And who knows, maybe after seeing how successful and well received this tour has been, everyone will be a little more willing to negotiate the 'loot'? 

Sure hope we will hear from Izzy!  Even if its just all the songs he's written and co wrote that are optioned/owned by Axl from over the years.

Because, yeah, hopefully everyone in the lineup is feeling more secure and established.  Ready to revisit issues that stressed them out initially.

• Like 1

Outside of Axl having some vocal issues, this whole,tour has been WAY beyond what they realistically could have expected. I think the last arena shows will be the end of the line for The Big Three.  They made a lot more $$ Than they originally thought they would, the shows on a whole have been well received, and I just think this will be it.  And hard to imagine any other version coming back to life to follow this; while I doubt any formal announcement will EVER happen, my guess is once this tour wraps, they will never be heard from again...

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

pretty let down by rio... was hoping, not expecting, something cool to happen... i guess if i wanna look on the bright side, the band cant realistically beleive they can keep touring this same stuff after the october/november arena dates... i mean maybe a surprise new years eve gig in vegas but i sure as fuck hope they dont add european arena dates for january/february or something... wouldnt hurt to try a shorter stripped down acoustic set if theyre not gonna write new music