Black Panther

BlacKkKlansman

Bohemian Rhapsody

The Favorite 

Green Book

Roma

A Star is Born

Vice

Unlike last year, I haven't seen most of these films. However I have seen Black Panther and didn't think it was one of the greatest films I've ever seen. My perspective is that like Get Out, it's nominated because American's elected a racist as President as opposed to either films actual quality. I liked both, but didn't think either was particularly special. Last year had some fantasic films, so Get Out and Darkest Hour stood out.

I could be wrong though this year. Like I said, I haven't seen most of these yet. Maybe there weren't many good films last year?

It's a particularly odd list, in all honesty.

Most of the time half of the list is comprised of film-snob cinema that didn't make it to local theaters and the average audience hasn't heard of, and this year it's compiled with a Marvel super hero movie, a Netflix movie, and a film that was praised by audiences but so-so'd by critics.

2018 was a weird year for movies, but it's certainly not the list I thought I'd see for Best Picture (outside of BlackkKlansman and A Star Is Born); I have yet to see Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, Roma, and Vice, but I'll make a point to see them before the awards. As it stands now, A Star Is Born has my vote, but it's close with BlackkKlansman (a fine film, but not a whole lot of rewatch value to me). Black Panther was great, but not Best Picture Oscar Winner to me.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, AtariLegend said:

Black Panther

BlacKkKlansman

Bohemian Rhapsody

The Favorite 

Green Book

Roma

A Star is Born

Vice

Unlike last year, I haven't seen most of these films. However I have seen Black Panther and didn't think it was one of the greatest films I've ever seen. My perspective is that like Get Out, it's nominated because American's elected a racist as President as opposed to either films actual quality. I liked both, but didn't think either was particularly special. Last year had some fantasic films, so Get Out and Darkest Hour stood out.

I could be wrong though this year. Like I said, I haven't seen most of these yet. Maybe there weren't many good films last year?

I only saw Black Panther and honestly, I don't think it's Oscar material.

it's another super hero movie. It was good, but come on!

And I think now the academy is snubbing the Asian community because I heard Crazy Rich Asians was a very good movie. And again no female directors. I think Hollywood old white dudes are back to business as usual. lol Nothing will ever fully change.

I also heard that they could have nominated ten movies, but didn't.

Still no host! One of the HLN hosts said they should just go into the audience with a camera and stop at different actors or whatever to read the different awards. Imagine the ones without their glasses. lol It'll be a long night.

I think they should just read the awards off camera and give the awards out and limit the speeches to two minutes. lol

As you can tell I don't give a shit about the Oscars.

Ain't seen none of em, Black Panther sounds like a patronizing load of right on bollocks to me.  And Bohemian Rhapsody, some cunt pretending to be that big moustachioed poof for 90 plus minutes don't sound much like entertainment either.  Ain't heard of the rest, though Vice rings a bell.  The Oscars are a load of fuckin' bollocks anyway and always have been, all this racial snub shit is getting the cart before the horse, like the idea that the Oscars exercise prejudice is a new thing.  Racial prejudice I can almost handle because its kinda the way of the world but what annoys me is their artistic prejudice.  Like its gotta be a certain kinda movie with a certain kinda theme, you stick some fuckin' touchy feely Tom Hanks bollocks about human endeavour with an uplifting ending to it and it will beat the fuckin' pants off of darker more thematically controversial pieces any fuckin' day of the week regardless of superior quality, its all a fuckin' stitch up and always has been.

I don't think 'black cinema' benefits from an association to The Oscars, quite the opposite actually.  And I find the notion of protesting to be included in something where you're blatantly not wanted a trifle undignified.  Fuck em.  Mitchum, Chaplin, Peter Sellers, Peter O Toole, Cary Grant, these guys never won Oscars so what the fuck do the academy know anyway?

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Ain't seen none of em, Black Panther sounds like a patronizing load of right on bollocks to me.  And Bohemian Rhapsody, some cunt pretending to be that big moustachioed poof for 90 plus minutes don't sound much like entertainment either.  Ain't heard of the rest, though Vice rings a bell.  The Oscars are a load of fuckin' bollocks anyway and always have been, all this racial snub shit is getting the cart before the horse, like the idea that the Oscars exercise prejudice is a new thing.  Racial prejudice I can almost handle because its kinda the way of the world but what annoys me is their artistic prejudice.  Like its gotta be a certain kinda movie with a certain kinda theme, you stick some fuckin' touchy feely Tom Hanks bollocks about human endeavour with an uplifting ending to it and it will beat the fuckin' pants off of darker more thematically controversial pieces any fuckin' day of the week regardless of superior quality, its all a fuckin' stitch up and always has been.

I don't think 'black cinema' benefits from an association to The Oscars, quite the opposite actually.  And I find the notion of protesting to be included in something where you're blatantly not wanted a trifle undignified.  Fuck em.  Mitchum, Chaplin, Peter Sellers, Peter O Toole, Cary Grant, these guys never won Oscars so what the fuck do the academy know anyway?

Hitchcock never won an Oscar. Rebecca won Best Picture but Selznick took away the statue. If Hitchcock didn't win then clearly the Oscars are a load of cock and balls. 

I never watch it personally; I watched one once and it goes on for hours and is tedious beyond belief.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hitchcock never won an Oscar. Rebecca won Best Picture but Selznick took away the statue. If Hitchcock didn't win then clearly the Oscars are a load of cock and balls. 

I never watch it personally; I watched one once and it goes on for hours and is tedious beyond belief.

Thats the other thing, I ain’t seen it ever I don’t think but its just so fuckin’ boring it seems, its not like music award shows (which are also a load of shite generally) where you get performances, just a bunch of self involved thespians patting each other on the back.

I mean how can Hitchcock, arguably the greatest director of all time, never win?  And its not like he was some lukewarm director of the day, he was shit-hot and made hugely successful films.

Edited by Len Cnut

On 1/23/2019 at 3:29 AM, lukepowell1988 said:

Reckon Bo Rap will win it 

Nearest Competitor is probably A Star Is Born 

Bo Rap’s only real shot is for Malek. The ‘hey everyone, remember not to leave Bryan Singer alone with any underage boys’ pieces are already dropping and will continue to do so over the lead up to the awards. Also it’s terrible.

ASIB seems to have lost its momentum completely. I think it’s Romas to lose. Kind of hope Lee gets best director even though Klansman is a mess.

It is rather xenophobic also in that they just lump every film which isn't American produced and Anglophonic into one ''foreign language'' -  the ''me non hablo inglese'' haha - category; I believe only ten foreign language films, from what must be at least 500 nominations, have been nominated for Best Picture, none of them winning! Cannes and Venice (e.g., Rashomon, Japanese, winning the Golden Lion) do not make this distinction.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:33 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody tonight. It’s good enough, but admittedly I’m shocked it’s nominated for Best Picture. The nomination for Rami for Best Actor is justified, but the film as a whole, I don’t believe deserves such a nomination.

Exactly how I feel about it.

Also, for those of you who are either interested in or have seen the Favourite and enjoyed it, check out Lanthimos' last two films if you haven't...The Killing Of A Sacred Deer and The Lobster. They are fantastic.

I think they look at the most out there movie and vote for it! lol

Sometimes I think they get it right but more often not.

I did think Black Panther was a good movie, but then how about Aquaman? I mean it's message was simple. Humans are killing the oceans and it's wildlife. I think that's an important message, but I wouldn't say it was Oscar worthy.

I don't understand the whole voting process at all.

I never heard of half those movies, so I guess I'm out of the loop! lol