RIP Frank Levi

Frank Levi died yesterday. Most people have never heard of him, but he is the reason Slash has such an iconic sound on Appetite for Destruction. The amp that Slash famously used for AFD and then tried to steal for himself - it was an old Marshall head that Frank Levi rewired and modded. Frank worked on amps for a number of artists, including George Lynch and Warren DeMartini, but he never really got recognition for his contributions to these players' tone. A 2014 interview with Frank details his experiences.

I met Slash before GNR became famous…he used to bring me his amps (Marshalls & Boogies) after his gigs. Unfortunately, we lost touch around the time I was leaving SIR. I was kind of disappointed that I didn’t hear from him or Marshall during the development of the AFD100. To date I have not been inside an AFD100 to see exactly how it is put together. BTW I remember that Slash used pedals on his recordings, but I don't recall what pedals.

Kind of sad that Frank was forgotten by the industry as time went on. The AFD100 was based on the Appetite tone, but Marshall didn't involve the tech who was responsible for it. :shrugs:

(With GNR news being slow, I figured this was appropriate for the main forum, but if a mod wants to move it elsewhere I wouldn't be offended.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

Frank Levi died yesterday. Most people have never heard of him, but he is the reason Slash has such an iconic sound on Appetite for Destruction. The amp that Slash famously used for AFD and then tried to steal for himself - it was an old Marshall head that Frank Levi rewired and modded. Frank worked on amps for a number of artists, including George Lynch and Warren DeMartini, but he never really got recognition for his contributions to these players' tone. A 2014 interview with Frank details his experiences.

Kind of sad that Frank was forgotten by the industry as time went on. The AFD100 was based on the Appetite tone, but Marshall didn't involve the tech who was responsible for it. :shrugs:

(With GNR news being slow, I figured this was appropriate for the main forum, but if a mod wants to move it elsewhere I wouldn't be offended.)

I have to admit I wasn't aware of his contribution to the Slash sound.  Makes you think about the scores of people who go unsung or are forgotten in any band or artist's history.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Good on you for starting this thread man. I had no idea who he was, but I'm educated about him now.

RIP Frank Levi

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Sad. People with expertise are quickly forgotten.

As fo the AFD100 - come on, just like Gibson, just something more to sell at high margin on the hype of an irreplaceable sound. 

Rather than look at it as sad that he might have been overlooked I choose to look at it at this point of view: he was apart of something that touched millions of lives, brought millions of smiles and inspired millions of people.  Few people can say that in life.  I hope he realizes what an impact he made on people even if they didn't realize it.

RIP Frank.

14 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Rather than look at it as sad that he might have been overlooked I choose to look at it at this point of view: he was apart of something that touched millions of lives, brought millions of smiles and inspired millions of people.  Few people can say that in life.  I hope he realizes what an impact he made on people even if they didn't realize it.

RIP Frank.

Very well said, yes.

• Like 1