The UFO thread

Basic_GnR_Fan

5 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Yes, I find Wikipedia quite sceptic/minimalist on UFOs. They probably consider them sensational, like the BBC and UK broadsheets: more tabloid fodder.

But that might change with the new recognitions, like that originated this thread, and was updated this week.

I first saw the Carter story on The Unexplained Files, which is of course more sensationalist:

Yeah, I really hope those videos and acknowledgment will completely change the media narrative.

The MIC finds out the sitting prez filed a UFO sighting report = one term prez??

Now that I think about it, I can kind of relate to the idea that people forget something like that. In like grade 9 I was sitting on a staircase with a group of people at dusk. We were across from a little military base in the middle of a city. A field separates us. A glowing orb that looked just like all the other orb sightings slowly approached us from the direction of the base and caught our eyes. Everyone oohed and awed until it was right over us and darted off. 

Everyone just resumed conversation! Me and one buddy were like "WTF was that? Guys you saw that right?!?!" They were like "yep" and again resumed normal conversation. By the next day even that one dude had no interest in it either. So weird!! What do you make of that?

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, I really hope those videos and acknowledgment will completely change the media narrative.

The MIC finds out the sitting prez filed a UFO sighting report = one term prez??

Now that I think about it, I can kind of relate to the idea that people forget something like that. In like grade 9 I was sitting on a staircase with a group of people at dusk. We were across from a little military base in the middle of a city. A field separates us. A glowing orb that looked just like all the other orb sightings slowly approached us from the direction of the base and caught our eyes. Everyone oohed and awed until it was right over us and darted off. 

Everyone just resumed conversation! Me and one buddy were like "WTF was that? Guys you saw that right?!?!" They were like "yep" and again resumed normal conversation. By the next day even that one dude had no interest in it either. So weird!! What do you make of that?

Wow, sounds like an amazing orb sighting. Yes, I think we're programmed to see and accept amazing sights and experiences, and just return to 'normal' unless it physically affects us; although they can change life directions or return years later. The military base makes it seem likely to be human-military, although a lot of UFO sightings have been reported at military bases, especially checking out/stopping nuclear weapons etc.

It's like the presidents citing defence secrecy reasons makes it seem like they are American military craft; either only human or with UFO/alien reverse-engineering/help; but then the recent reports that they don't know what these latest UFOs are contradicts that: unless the CIA know, but aren't telling the Air Force?

There was a UFO conference in the county I live in recently: https://www.ufotruthmagazine.co.uk/2019-holmfirth-conference-tickets/

The organiser of that just had one life-changing experience in 1976, and it stuck with him all through his career in the police force: http://www.prufospolicedatabase.co.uk/8.html:

Gary Heseltine: 'It was on a warm summer evening in 1976 that an event took place in my life that was to fundamentally alter it in ways that I could never have imagined. I was to experience something that would change my perception of the universe and man's place within it. In simple terms I had a UFO encounter that sowed the seeds in an ever widening ripple effect that would eventually pull me into the field of ufology to the extent that it has become the pervading theme of my life.

That sighting was to become the catalyst for a personal journey that was to take 26 years to fully realize. As I now look back on my life I can recall five clear steps that I took before creating the PRUFOS (Police Report UFO Sightings) Database in November 2001. I believe that all five of those steps are relevant to the story of the founding of the database so I will outline each one in chronological turn.

STEP 1. MY CHILDHOOD SIGHTING.

I have often tried to be more precise about the actual date of my first UFO sighting but in the end all I seem to be able to do is narrow it down to a pretty loose framework of time. That is not to say the incident that unfolded is unclear, no, much of it remains very vivid to this day. It is simply the practical things like the exact month, the actual date etc; that remain beyond my recall.

To the best of my knowledge the sighting took place during the summer months of 1975/1976 in my home town of Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire. To be more precise in a suburb of Scunthorpe called Ashby. I was 15 years old and going out with my first proper girlfriend called Dawn 'S' (I won't embarrass her by printing her surname as I have not had contact with her since we broke up at the age of 16). I went out with her for about twelve months and it must have been during the first summer we were together that our sighting took place.

I'm not sure where we'd been but all I remember is walking beside her on Grange Lane South heading in the direction of my comprehensive school (Frederick Gough). Dawn lived in another suburb of Scunthorpe called Bottesford. In order to get to her home we had to walk along a long narrow footpath that dissected the school fields of my comprehensive school and a large allotment site. The school fields were on our left and the allotment on our right. As I recall there was little or no street lighting at that time and it was a very dark and isolated place at its quietest stretch. That spot was approximately half way down it, after you had passed by the school buildings and were walking alongside the school fields.

As we were walking along the footpath both of us suddenly became aware of what I can only describe as a large bright white light moving very slowly from our right to left. The light was set against a background of a clear night and the twinkling of numerous stars. The object was much larger than the background stars (see plate one - a photograph recreating the event taken at the actual location) and appeared to be moving in total silence at a sixty degree angle to our position. If you can imagine the line of the footpath stretching out in front of us the object passed directly across our course. No sooner had it done so something really odd occurred. Suddenly all the electricity on the housing estate that we could see in the distance was plunged into darkness. Dawn immediately became frightened and rightly or wrongly associated the light with somehow causing the power failure.

I tried to calm her down whilst at the same time we were both transfixed by the strange object in the sky before us. It seemed to 'glide'. I remember straining to hear for any engine noise but there appeared to be none. The UFO (for want of a better word) was moving very slowly and heading in the direction of the Anchor Steel plant and indirectly towards my home. Moments later a second power cut followed in a different area of the same housing estate. Things were getting really odd.

There is a classic scene in Steven Speilberg’s film 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' where the bemused Richard Dreyfuss character has his first real encounter with the UFOs and watches in awe as they appear to trigger a series of grid failures one by one (note - our sighting took place prior to the film's release and therefore at that time I had no context in my mind to associate/invent such a scene).

Significantly I realised that the power cuts had taken place once the UFO had passed by the housing i.e. behind the flight path of the object. With Dawn still visibly shaken by what we'd seen I said I would take her home. I quickly told her to get on the crossbar of the cycle (I’d been pushing it to that point) and we quickly rode to her home. There we found it and the entire area in total darkness. I literally dropped her off and sped back through the darkened streets heading in the direction of my home. I reasoned that because of the object’s slow speed that if I raced back and took a short cut I might just be able to get ahead of the UFO before it passed over the area near my home.

I have this clear memory of taking the short cut and getting onto Grange Lane South (a long main road near to my home) and emerging into the 'light' as it were. By that I mean an area where the electricity was still on. In other words I had managed to get ahead of the UFO. Every few seconds I would glance over my right shoulder to make sure where the light was in relation to my position.

It wasn’t long before I turned the corner onto Baysdale Road where my house was. I remember jumping off the bike and running into the living room of the house to find my parents having supper. In a state of excitement and some apprehension I said to them, "Come out into the garden, there's this light and I think it's going to cause a power cut!"

Looking bemused neither said a word! Realising they weren’t going to follow me I rushed through the hall and into the kitchen before running out of the back door and into the garden. Stopping halfway down the garden I turned to look back at the house and no sooner had I done so I saw the same object appearing over the rooftop of my home (see plate 2). Now by this stage the object appeared much higher in the sky and was not as bright as earlier but I clearly remember having the belief that there would be a power cut after it had passed over the house.

Guess what? As soon as the object passed by over me at a ninety degree angle my home and the entire surrounding area was plunged into darkness! Wow! Elated I rushed back into the house to find my parents looking even more bemused as they stumbled in the gloom to find a set of candles.

I couldn’t believe it; I’d actually predicted a power cut! It was that realisation that led me to conclude that from a second geographical location the light must have been in some way involved in triggering the series of power failures.'

• GNFNR 1

On 20/09/2019 at 12:16 PM, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

It's like the presidents citing defence secrecy reasons makes it seem like they are American military craft; either only human or with UFO/alien reverse-engineering/help; but then the recent reports that they don't know what these latest UFOs are contradicts that: unless the CIA know, but aren't telling the Air Force?

The other explanation would be that the Air Force is in on the deception: to make out the American military don't know what they are, when they are really American craft flying around the world secretly; after other countries like Peru released UFO footage!

However, these sightings have been going on for a long time, and surely the Americans would have used the technology in some of the recent wars, as it did Stealth etc, so surely then they would have been known to somebody, unless the US had managed to use them secretly (there's been talk of cloaking tech making craft invisible, and holograms etc being tested at Area 51). Just another possibility?

The BBC did feature the recent protest at Area 51: kind of made a joke of it, but did mention Area 51 being a secret base. 

On September 20, 2019 at 7:16 AM, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Wow, sounds like an amazing orb sighting. Yes, I think we're programmed to see and accept amazing sights and experiences, and just return to 'normal' unless it physically affects us; although they can change life directions or return years later. The military base makes it seem likely to be human-military, although a lot of UFO sightings have been reported at military bases, especially checking out/stopping nuclear weapons etc.

There was a UFO conference in the county I live in recently: https://www.ufotruthmagazine.co.uk/2019-holmfirth-conference-tickets/

The organiser of that just had one life-changing experience in 1976, and it stuck with him all through his career in the police force: http://www.prufospolicedatabase.co.uk/8.html:

Gary Heseltine: 'It was on a warm summer evening in 1976 that an event took place in my life that was to fundamentally alter it in ways that I could never have imagined. I was to experience something that would change my perception of the universe and man's place within it. In simple terms I had a UFO encounter that sowed the seeds in an ever widening ripple effect that would eventually pull me into the field of ufology to the extent that it has become the pervading theme of my life.

That sighting was to become the catalyst for a personal journey that was to take 26 years to fully realize. As I now look back on my life I can recall five clear steps that I took before creating the PRUFOS (Police Report UFO Sightings) Database in November 2001. I believe that all five of those steps are relevant to the story of the founding of the database so I will outline each one in chronological turn.

STEP 1. MY CHILDHOOD SIGHTING.

I have often tried to be more precise about the actual date of my first UFO sighting but in the end all I seem to be able to do is narrow it down to a pretty loose framework of time. That is not to say the incident that unfolded is unclear, no, much of it remains very vivid to this day. It is simply the practical things like the exact month, the actual date etc; that remain beyond my recall.

To the best of my knowledge the sighting took place during the summer months of 1975/1976 in my home town of Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire. To be more precise in a suburb of Scunthorpe called Ashby. I was 15 years old and going out with my first proper girlfriend called Dawn 'S' (I won't embarrass her by printing her surname as I have not had contact with her since we broke up at the age of 16). I went out with her for about twelve months and it must have been during the first summer we were together that our sighting took place.

I'm not sure where we'd been but all I remember is walking beside her on Grange Lane South heading in the direction of my comprehensive school (Frederick Gough). Dawn lived in another suburb of Scunthorpe called Bottesford. In order to get to her home we had to walk along a long narrow footpath that dissected the school fields of my comprehensive school and a large allotment site. The school fields were on our left and the allotment on our right. As I recall there was little or no street lighting at that time and it was a very dark and isolated place at its quietest stretch. That spot was approximately half way down it, after you had passed by the school buildings and were walking alongside the school fields.

As we were walking along the footpath both of us suddenly became aware of what I can only describe as a large bright white light moving very slowly from our right to left. The light was set against a background of a clear night and the twinkling of numerous stars. The object was much larger than the background stars (see plate one - a photograph recreating the event taken at the actual location) and appeared to be moving in total silence at a sixty degree angle to our position. If you can imagine the line of the footpath stretching out in front of us the object passed directly across our course. No sooner had it done so something really odd occurred. Suddenly all the electricity on the housing estate that we could see in the distance was plunged into darkness. Dawn immediately became frightened and rightly or wrongly associated the light with somehow causing the power failure.

I tried to calm her down whilst at the same time we were both transfixed by the strange object in the sky before us. It seemed to 'glide'. I remember straining to hear for any engine noise but there appeared to be none. The UFO (for want of a better word) was moving very slowly and heading in the direction of the Anchor Steel plant and indirectly towards my home. Moments later a second power cut followed in a different area of the same housing estate. Things were getting really odd.

There is a classic scene in Steven Speilberg’s film 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' where the bemused Richard Dreyfuss character has his first real encounter with the UFOs and watches in awe as they appear to trigger a series of grid failures one by one (note - our sighting took place prior to the film's release and therefore at that time I had no context in my mind to associate/invent such a scene).

Significantly I realised that the power cuts had taken place once the UFO had passed by the housing i.e. behind the flight path of the object. With Dawn still visibly shaken by what we'd seen I said I would take her home. I quickly told her to get on the crossbar of the cycle (I’d been pushing it to that point) and we quickly rode to her home. There we found it and the entire area in total darkness. I literally dropped her off and sped back through the darkened streets heading in the direction of my home. I reasoned that because of the object’s slow speed that if I raced back and took a short cut I might just be able to get ahead of the UFO before it passed over the area near my home.

I have this clear memory of taking the short cut and getting onto Grange Lane South (a long main road near to my home) and emerging into the 'light' as it were. By that I mean an area where the electricity was still on. In other words I had managed to get ahead of the UFO. Every few seconds I would glance over my right shoulder to make sure where the light was in relation to my position.

It wasn’t long before I turned the corner onto Baysdale Road where my house was. I remember jumping off the bike and running into the living room of the house to find my parents having supper. In a state of excitement and some apprehension I said to them, "Come out into the garden, there's this light and I think it's going to cause a power cut!"

Looking bemused neither said a word! Realising they weren’t going to follow me I rushed through the hall and into the kitchen before running out of the back door and into the garden. Stopping halfway down the garden I turned to look back at the house and no sooner had I done so I saw the same object appearing over the rooftop of my home (see plate 2). Now by this stage the object appeared much higher in the sky and was not as bright as earlier but I clearly remember having the belief that there would be a power cut after it had passed over the house.

Guess what? As soon as the object passed by over me at a ninety degree angle my home and the entire surrounding area was plunged into darkness! Wow! Elated I rushed back into the house to find my parents looking even more bemused as they stumbled in the gloom to find a set of candles.

I couldn’t believe it; I’d actually predicted a power cut! It was that realisation that led me to conclude that from a second geographical location the light must have been in some way involved in triggering the series of power failures.'

Incredible experiences he's had. Must have been an uphill battle to stick with it and speak publicly about it as a cop!

I had considered studying exopolitics and lately thats starting to sound like a better idea then it did at the time I was muling it over! However my other area of study was anarchism. Anarchism and Exoplotics are two credentials that are already useless enough and most certainly who's combined sum is even less then its parts :lol: 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, soon said:

Incredible experiences he's had. Must have been an uphill battle to stick with it and speak publicly about it as a cop!

I had considered studying exopolitics and lately thats starting to sound like a better idea then it did at the time I was muling it over! However my other area of study was anarchism. Anarchism and Exoplotics are two credentials that are already useless enough and most certainly who's combined sum is even less then its parts :lol: 

Interesting, I didn't know what Exopolitics is, but looks interesting; https://www.exopolitics.org/could be useful or useless as you say, depending on how the world proceeds.

Anarchism is a nice theory, and how I like to live, without leaders, but it depends on outside forces tolerating it, and not invading/overpowering, and people in the communities playing their part - the hippies tried it, but most soon fell apart!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Interesting, I didn't know what Exopolitics is, but looks interesting; https://www.exopolitics.org/could be useful or useless as you say, depending on how the world proceeds.

Yeah, studying in Hawaii sounded nice too. Even without contact the field has some contributions to make on the existential end of political science. But its so young and understaffed that it remains difficult to take overly seriously. 

Anarchism is a nice theory, and how I like to live, without leaders, but it depends on outside forces tolerating it, and not invading/overpowering, and people in the communities playing their part - the hippies tried it, but most soon fell apart!

As the Paris Commune can speak to. So sad.

Hippies? They all just grew up and got wealthy by turing away from the ethos! :lol: Nah, look at 60's radical Ben Morea still going strong. https://artgrindpodcast.com/ep-27-ben-morea-revolutionary-anarchist-and-creator/. He's an Animist btw. Plus Noam Chomsky and that old hippie that used to work at a coop I once shared in. Where the hippies felt that they had sufficient numbers to change the core societal foundations, to live without leaders, the praxis of anarchism is still very much alive and well. And viable. Like you say, its how one can choose to live. And we are the same in that way!! :headbang:

To live without 'power-over.' So we can live a praxis of undoing oppression and building new with in the old. Rejecting violence, patriarchy, disablism, racism, sexism, blah blah blah. Producing theory that applies to the masses, to the true believer and to the insurrectionary are of equal importance in todays landscape imho, where as for the individual its mostly a lot of self reflection and work on ones self improvement.

While it would be irresponsible to abolish prisons tomorrow, it is equally irresponsible to not oppose capitalists ecocide (a form of power over with deadly consequences) with our consumer choices today. And indeed the choice to not consume.

.... But yeah, not the first thing that the aliens need to hear! :lol: "Hey guys, welcome to Earth. Let me show you around? So like, this is a scent free space because its a shared washroom. Because its gender neutral. Please flush the toilets using the reserved brown water that we washed our clothes in." :lol:

PS: Happy Equinox!

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

Yes, and a lot of the whole Silicon Valley scene is derived from the hippy ethos. Kind of knew it already, and read a good book about it recently: Innovators: How a Group of Inventors, Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innovators-Inventors-Hackers-Geniuses-Revolution/dp/1471138801

However, the trouble and controversy caused, like with Facebook, and brb causing housing shortages around the world, show how good intentions can soon create negativity. 

I felt sorry for the originator of the Silk Road site, who seemed to start off with good intentions, bringing peace to the process, but ended up getting life in jail!

Been watching a good documentary series the last 3 weeks about digital future world: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/adventures-in-futureland Last episode they were in Puerto Rico, with a load of cryptocurrency billionaires trying to use their money there, with mixed feelings from the locals. To some they are saviours, to others new colonists!

Happy Equinox to you too!

• GNFNR 1

38 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Yes, and a lot of the whole Silicon Valley scene is derived from the hippy ethos. Kind of knew it already, and read a good book about it recently: Innovators: How a Group of Inventors, Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innovators-Inventors-Hackers-Geniuses-Revolution/dp/1471138801

However, the trouble and controversy caused, like with Facebook, and brb causing housing shortages around the world, show how good intentions can soon create negativity. 

I felt sorry for the originator of the Silk Road site, who seemed to start off with good intentions, bringing peace to the process, but ended up getting life in jail!

Been watching a good documentary series the last 3 weeks about digital future world: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/adventures-in-futureland Last episode they were in Puerto Rico, with a load of cryptocurrency billionaires trying to use their money there, with mixed feelings from the locals. To some they are saviours, to others new colonists!

Happy Equinox to you too!

Thanks for this book and docuseries link! Book is on the reading list. Ive been skeptical about the so called sharing economy from the jump. Its like if you crunch the numbers on a slavery based economy, you realize that its more cost effective to have the workers live on their own and be able to feed, house and clothe themselves - to be "free" (and for the capitalist to own and profit from all those living expenses of the workers, rather then have them as a business expense). Seems to me that the capitalists who start 'sharing economy' platforms have figured out the tech version of that neo colonial approach. As you say, the good intentions seem corruptible, like how Couch Surf Nation was quickly eclipsed by the BnB capitalist profit model of what was actual sharing. It was/is an online community that freely opened its doors to one another, in exchange for the promise that others will do the same for you. Its almost universally more community oriented in person too.

Sometimes those tech future shows really bring me down though, haha. But seriously. Sounds like a really fascinating episode though. Will hope to watch soon. Theres a radio program here called Spark that at a quick glance seems to be similar to Adventures in Futureland. Its tag is "the future is coming, arrive intact" It terrifies me!! I note that its followed by Tapestry which is a very pastoral ecumenical spiritual exploration show. I joke that Tapestry is the opiate of the masses - calming us back to our complicate lull after hearing the truth about our scary futures, lol

My friend has informed me that they dont think this moon cycle is called the Equinox? If so, thank you for being so gracious! They say its only Summer and Winter that is celebrated? I dunno, sorry for my ignorance... what is this called? Did some lunar thing just happen or am I completely tripping?!?

8 hours ago, soon said:

Thanks for this book and docuseries link! Book is on the reading list. Ive been skeptical about the so called sharing economy from the jump. Its like if you crunch the numbers on a slavery based economy, you realize that its more cost effective to have the workers live on their own and be able to feed, house and clothe themselves - to be "free" (and for the capitalist to own and profit from all those living expenses of the workers, rather then have them as a business expense). Seems to me that the capitalists who start 'sharing economy' platforms have figured out the tech version of that neo colonial approach. As you say, the good intentions seem corruptible, like how Couch Surf Nation was quickly eclipsed by the BnB capitalist profit model of what was actual sharing. It was/is an online community that freely opened its doors to one another, in exchange for the promise that others will do the same for you. Its almost universally more community oriented in person too.

Sometimes those tech future shows really bring me down though, haha. But seriously. Sounds like a really fascinating episode though. Will hope to watch soon. Theres a radio program here called Spark that at a quick glance seems to be similar to Adventures in Futureland. Its tag is "the future is coming, arrive intact" It terrifies me!! I note that its followed by Tapestry which is a very pastoral ecumenical spiritual exploration show. I joke that Tapestry is the opiate of the masses - calming us back to our complicate lull after hearing the truth about our scary futures, lol

My friend has informed me that they dont think this moon cycle is called the Equinox? If so, thank you for being so gracious! They say its only Summer and Winter that is celebrated? I dunno, sorry for my ignorance... what is this called? Did some lunar thing just happen or am I completely tripping?!?

My main source about the hippy communes was Adam Curtis:

There's lots of videos on YouTube that are probably up your street, although they may make you more depressed/paranoid!

It was the solar equinox this week, the full 'Harvest' moon was last week.

Quite a good little brief explanation here:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

My main source about the hippy communes was Adam Curtis:

There's lots of videos on YouTube that are probably up your street, although they may make you more depressed/paranoid!

It was the solar equinox this week, the full 'Harvest' moon was last week.

Quite a good little brief explanation here:

Very cool - thanks for these vids!

I wasnt familiar with that Adam Curtis model of organizing community. Although it sounds like what I know as "Panarchy." So he may be its creator for all I know. Don't quote me as Im fuzzy on the details, but Panarchy is the idea that creation/existence is harmonious, save for human intervention. That we need to "be" more than "do" for the machinery of existence to work best. Something like that.

I've been to some cloistered communities that practice horizontalism and consensus decision making that have been around for ages. It takes a lot of commitment and forgiveness. And as Proudhon was eager to teach "anarchy is order."

Curtis' model brings to mind the anarchists communities excitement at Occupy. It was a populist movement that seemed to have anarchist tendencies that were born out of a very Mr Rogers Neighbourhood sense of unity. To the most optimistic of anarchist it was also our values being built upon. But yeah, that movement didnt get too far either. And literally ever book written by an anarchist since has had some focus on the notion of 'anarchist leadership' lol.

Basically, if my toilets broken I want a plumber - they have the knowledge and skills to fix it. They take the lead. Now, they can teach me what they do to fix it so that they dont have and power over me. But they are still the leader on all things plumbing. Panarchy is a touch more metaphysical about how those distinctions are drawn.

It was the Equinox! Yay! Thanks for the explainer!

A few season ago I was in the field harvesting corn and tomatoes. The moon was huge - like I could reach out and touch it.  It was so low and its blue light over took the cars headlights that I thought I'd need to see at night. I turned the lights off and the garden was still fully illuminated - even better than before! I then learned that this was the harvest moon. And I needed those extra hours of light. God is good!! 

Im a Canuck, so it seems only natural to post this here :) 

16 hours ago, soon said:

Very cool - thanks for these vids!

I wasnt familiar with that Adam Curtis model of organizing community. Although it sounds like what I know as "Panarchy." So he may be its creator for all I know. Don't quote me as Im fuzzy on the details, but Panarchy is the idea that creation/existence is harmonious, save for human intervention. That we need to "be" more than "do" for the machinery of existence to work best. Something like that.

I've been to some cloistered communities that practice horizontalism and consensus decision making that have been around for ages. It takes a lot of commitment and forgiveness. And as Proudhon was eager to teach "anarchy is order."

Curtis' model brings to mind the anarchists communities excitement at Occupy. It was a populist movement that seemed to have anarchist tendencies that were born out of a very Mr Rogers Neighbourhood sense of unity. To the most optimistic of anarchist it was also our values being built upon. But yeah, that movement didnt get too far either. And literally ever book written by an anarchist since has had some focus on the notion of 'anarchist leadership' lol.

Basically, if my toilets broken I want a plumber - they have the knowledge and skills to fix it. They take the lead. Now, they can teach me what they do to fix it so that they dont have and power over me. But they are still the leader on all things plumbing. Panarchy is a touch more metaphysical about how those distinctions are drawn.

It was the Equinox! Yay! Thanks for the explainer!

A few season ago I was in the field harvesting corn and tomatoes. The moon was huge - like I could reach out and touch it.  It was so low and its blue light over took the cars headlights that I thought I'd need to see at night. I turned the lights off and the garden was still fully illuminated - even better than before! I then learned that this was the harvest moon. And I needed those extra hours of light. God is good!! 

Im a Canuck, so it seems only natural to post this here :) 

Adam Curtis is a filmmaker so was just documenting the communities, as far as I know.

I've seen a few communities over the years. There were hippy communities in west Wales when I was there in the 1980s: https://homersykes.photoshelter.com/gallery/TIPI-VALLEY-HIPPY-COMMUNITY-LLANDEILO-WALES-1980S/G0000vvsGd.XSD_I/

Some are still going, and environmentally active: I saw one on a peak time countryside show about innovating a water power turbine or something. 

I visited Christiana, a hippy commune in the middle of Copenhagen back in 1995: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189541-d259687-Reviews-Christiania-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

While travelling there were a few places with worker communities - I was only there a few months, but some had been doing it years.

• GNFNR 1

Vertical take-off hypersonic space plane within a decade?

https://www.citmagazine.com/article/1660571/hypersonic-flight-london-sydney-four-hours

'UK scientists are developing a hypersonic engine that could fly from London-Sydney in just four hours and London to New York in under an hour, according to a report by The Telegraph today. 

The Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (Sabre) will allow a plane to fly at five times the speed of sound, with the engine switching to rocket mode using liquid oxygen as fuel. This is a much greener and cheaper solution than current air travel.

The report reveals that trials are currently taking place in Colorado with test flights set to begin in the mid 2020s, before commercial flights in the 2030s. '

• Like 1

On September 26, 2019 at 6:08 AM, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Vertical take-off hypersonic space plane within a decade?

https://www.citmagazine.com/article/1660571/hypersonic-flight-london-sydney-four-hours

'UK scientists are developing a hypersonic engine that could fly from London-Sydney in just four hours and London to New York in under an hour, according to a report by The Telegraph today. 

The Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (Sabre) will allow a plane to fly at five times the speed of sound, with the engine switching to rocket mode using liquid oxygen as fuel. This is a much greener and cheaper solution than current air travel.

The report reveals that trials are currently taking place in Colorado with test flights set to begin in the mid 2020s, before commercial flights in the 2030s. '

Thats bonkers! In a fun way. Im sure all sorts of these projects getting seen as UFOs. No windows...Im a windows guy.

One thing that stands out to me regarding the 'green' aspect is the use of helium. Iirc there is a helium shortage, or at least we've passed peak helium? And that is one reason that there is so much industrial endeavour going on to harvest H3 from celestial bodies like meteors and the moon. So I guess I hold onto some scepticism about just how 'green' mining the moon will be. I could be way off, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, watched it last night, then saw the disappearing torpedo story on MSN/Geobeats this morning:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/viral/navy-pilot-mysterious-dark-mass-swallowed-torpedo/vi-AAIwtXz?ocid=spartanntp

Certainly seems to be some momentum now...

There are so many great cases from all over the world and history I've seen on TV that I wanted to add!

If I hadn't had the extra channels (Quest, Blaze, History) over the last few years I would have been as unknowing as Rogan.

There have been some independent documentaries on 5 and Yesterday in the UK, but without the context of the more comprehensive channels I probably wouldn't have thought that much about them. 

I think that shows how quantity is important; and why religions/races etc try to fill the media... and then population... with their views; remembering my Communications PhD!

Funnily enough, I watched UFOs-Europe last night after posting the above, and one of the stories was the 1982 Portugal one, with a tic-tac style UFO seen by several military pilots, with one two-person plane calling another to the scene, where the UFO was just circling them, until the original plane's pilot decided to fly straight at it; the UFO just rose above it, hovered and sped off. Here's the first account of it online: https://www.ufoinsight.com/extraordinary-1982-ota-air-base-ufo-incident/

Funnily enough, I watched UFOs-Europe last night after posting the above, and one of the stories was the 1982 Portugal one, with a tic-tac style UFO seen by several military pilots, with one two-person plane calling another to the scene, where the UFO was just circling them, until the original plane's pilot decided to fly straight at it; the UFO just rose above it, hovered and sped off. Here's the first account of it online: https://www.ufoinsight.com/extraordinary-1982-ota-air-base-ufo-incident/

I'm surprised the company that actually makes tic tac's hasn't taken advantage of this with a marketing campaign!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

For those in the UK with Blaze channel (216 on Virgin) it's repeated at 9pm tonight (Saturday, 12th).

While it's only microbial life if anything, and not what's flying the UFOs if anything ET, still could be part of a conspiracy to hide alien life:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/former-nasa-scientists-claims-we-found-life-on-mars-in-the-1970s/ar-AAIMQEX?ocid=spartanntp

They had a Sky at Night (main BBC programme on space) question time last weekend. While I didn't expect any of them to support UFOs being ET I thought there would be a question on it, but there wasn't.

Only available in UK I think: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0009dkk/the-sky-at-night-question-time

Was that 'cos they were banned, or just not considered scientific enough by the audience?

I don't know, but I'd have thought it'd have more interest, especially after this year's events; such as what started this thread?

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
+

On 20/10/2019 at 12:25 AM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/amp29504031/army-ufo-mysterious-technology/?utm_source=reddit.com

Tom Delong's TTSA and the army are partnering up on a project to study metamaterials. Allegedly, TTSA has metal alloys and other materials from the UAP phenomena. As always, big if true.

Edward Snowden said he found no evidence of UFOs in CIA documents, backing the air force's claimed that they are unknowing and concerned over the recent UFOs: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7608527/Edward-Snowden-searched-CIA-network-proof-aliens-exist-anything.html

Also said moon landings were real, and been on Joe Rogan: 

Snowden is being presented as such a cliche in that article. And heck, he's doing Toe Rogan so maybe its accurate enough. 

Glade he clarified about climate change being real :lol: Ive got the documents! *Rivalling Maddow and Jones in the dramatic brandishing of paper* :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Snowden is being presented as such a cliche in that article. And heck, he's doing Toe Rogan so maybe its accurate enough. 

Glade he clarified about climate change being real :lol: Ive got the documents! *Rivalling Maddow and Jones in the dramatic brandishing of paper* :lol:

More today: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/edward-snowden-has-ruined-aliens-for-everybody-thanks/ar-AAJkszv?ocid=spartanntp

I think it's good for the recent revelations that Snowden said this, although it does contradict a lot of claims from before. 

Gary McKinnon said he did find evidence, although he said he hacked into NASA: https://www.ufo-blogger.com/2012/10/british-hacker-found-evidence-of-ufo.html

• Like 1