Marvel fatigue anyone

18 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

This would be my list:

Loved it

• Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
  • WandaVision
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home
  • Loki Season 1
  • Moon Knight (except for the final episode, basically)

I liked it but didn’t love it

• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  • Werewolf by Night
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • Hawkeye
  • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Wasn’t sure how to feel about it

• The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantamania
  • She-Hulk: Attorney at Law

Didn’t like it

• Eternals
  • What If…?
  • Thor: Love and Thunder
  • Black Widow
  • Secret Invasion
  • Ms. Marvel

Didn’t watch it

• I Am Groot
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The penultimate episode of Loki season 2 just dropped, and it might actually be my favorite episode of the entire series so far. This show and Guardians 3 are the only bright spots marvel has had this year.

Completely agree. At this point, I'd say just hand over the entire MCU to the people behind Loki :lol:

• Like 1

other than Loki, and GOTG3, recently Marvel output feels like leftovers for the most part imho. I never experienced Marvel fatigue, but it's clear they need to get their shit together. In general, it's just not as interesting as it was until and including Infinity and Endgame and I get that they need time to build it again, but even factoring that in, the quality is too often not good enough imo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

other than Loki, and GOTG3, recently Marvel output feels like leftovers for the most part imho. I never experienced Marvel fatigue, but it's clear they need to get their shit together. In general, it's just not as interesting as it was until and including Infinity and Endgame and I get that they need time to build it again, but even factoring that in, the quality is too often not good enough imo.

Doesn’t help that Disney also pushed them to create a bunch of shows in a short amount of time to try to validate their streaming service…

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:14 AM, Rovim said:

recently Marvel output feels like leftovers 

Marvel Phase 6 officially announced-

1. Absurd

2. Hard Skool

3. Perhaps

BIG CROSSOVER EVENT-

4. The General and Monsters

But is The General and Monsters one movie or two?!

• Haha 3

On 11/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, Cosmo said:

Man, people are saying the worst things about The Marvels. Its gonna flop so much. And worse - it seems like a very bad movie, according to reviews.

Really?  Most of the reviews I've read recommend it as enjoyable entry into the series.

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Really?  Most of the reviews I've read recommend it as enjoyable entry into the series.

Really? All I heard is people saying it's too rushed, like they cut down the movie so much to make it dynamic that it feels like some important things were left out.

3 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Really? All I heard is people saying it's too rushed, like they cut down the movie so much to make it dynamic that it feels like some important things were left out.

The movie is still an hour and forty five minutes.  I haven't seen it yet (plan to over the next few days as I really liked the first film), so maybe the sequence is rushed and I'll withhold judgement until I see it.  Maybe it tries to do too much.  But over 60 percent of film critics still endorse the film, and it's getting a positive view from the majority of theatre-goers (85 percent on rotten tomatoes).

I'm someone who stopped caring about these films a long time ago.  At the same time, I haven't found any Marvel film difficult to watch or unenjoyable (though the second Thor film was a bit of a drag at times). 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 5:54 AM, rocknroll41 said:

The Loki season 2 finale starts off rough but ultimately ended up being pretty good.

ended up really enjoying the Loki finale. Second half of the episode had some real nice shots and scenes imo. As far as The Marvels go, I have not seen it yet, but I'm not expecting much.

it feels like Marvel has entered phase 2 of Marvel fatigue and there needs to be a shake up of the formula to regain more interest, Maybe it's fixable, and a good lesson for Marvel and I believe the multiverse still has a lot of potential but a rethinking of what the audience really wants would probably be a good idea.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rovim said:

ended up really enjoying the Loki finale. Second half of the episode had some real nice shots and scenes imo. As far as The Marvels go, I have not seen it yet, but I'm not expecting much.

it feels like Marvel has entered phase 2 of Marvel fatigue and there needs to be a shake up of the formula to regain more interest, Maybe it's fixable, and a good lesson for Marvel and I believe the multiverse still has a lot of potential but a rethinking of what the audience really wants would probably be a good idea.

I heard a rumor that the Kang Dynasty movie might be renamed to Eternity Wars and that Dr Doom will be the new big bar instead.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

What I think is happening is not only are they spreading too thin and losing quality control by releasing over 4 movies per year + Disney+ shows, there are some major issues:

• They haven't made "stepping stone" Avengers Projects - things are loose for 5+ years til Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars
  • It's too hard for new fans to get on the bandwagon at this point - you gotta watch like 7 movies and 3 shows to understand the upcoming movie
  • They release so much stuff, there's not a lot of excitement towards their new stuff
  • Movies got too wacky and comedy-based for a while
  • Not every project has to contribute to the main Kang story arch and set up the next movies. Two of their best materials since Endgame were not focused on the greater story of Kang, time travel, etc...
  • They thought they could make movies and series about every character they have the right to, resulting in some pretty boring stuff.
  • Now that they realized they were going on the wrong path, they have all this material to put out that is already finished, and they seem not to be willing to Batgirl them to try to fix the direction of the studio as soon as possible.

That Loki finale was amazing but if Marvel doesn't get their shit together for next years, thing might start to get irreversible for them.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the incriminations and issues around Marvel and superhero films in general are overthought.   

I don't see it as all that complicated.

When you release 25+ films in a 15-20 year span that's essentially telling the same story, using relatively the same tone, and you've already used up your biggest chess pieces, audiences are going to lose interest once you get to narrative bookend (i.e. Endgame).

People like to think that the first couple of Iron Man or Thor films were great or are any better than the films they've been putting out the last couple of years.  But really, they were just new.  They used some of Marvel's biggest IPs.  And more importantly, they were in the building phase, always alluding to something bigger coming down the pipe that kept audiences coming back for more. 

I'd argue that Marvel was always going to lose audience share regardless of what they put out (or not put out).  Add in the tv shows and you get too a saturation point where people have had enough.  The incels of the world would have you believe it's because Marvel went woke.  Come on.  Outside of Spiderman or Guardians, nothing in Marvel post Endgame is going to compete with the characters they had prior.  There was no "right path" to keeping people's attention once you've burned through Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Black Panther. 

Marvel would have been better off had they taken a four or five year break and restarted the next phase with X-Men and/or the Fantastic Four.  Endgame was enough for most people.  It's not a matter of execution, but knowing your audience and when they have had enough (which is kind of what Disney is now doing with Star Wars with respect to the films). 

I think had the last Ant-Man or The Marvels been released prior to Endgame they would have done significantly better.  Outside of Guardians (and I guess the last Spiderman film - which had less to do with its Marvel connection and more to do with tying in all prior Spiderman films), there was nothing going to sustain Marvel's momentum following Endgame.

I don't think Marvel lost its way.  It just tried to keep the party going with the less popular kids long past the sun had come up.  

• Like 1