ELVIS

action

Not long back from the movie. Wow. Tom Hanks played his part incredibly well. I'll need to look into if Elvis actually had confrontations with the Colonel as I had always assumed Elvis was grand with him til he died, not knowing that he was being used. 

51 minutes ago, Dean said:

Not long back from the movie. Wow. Tom Hanks played his part incredibly well. I'll need to look into if Elvis actually had confrontations with the Colonel as I had always assumed Elvis was grand with him til he died, not knowing that he was being used. 

From everything I read, Elvis did eventually learn that Parker was fucking him over. I know for a fact that the on stage confrontation never happened like they show it in the movie, but according to at least two sources, that exact conversation happened backstage in Vegas. So I was fine with them putting it on stage for the drama of it in the movie. Elvis had a lot of on stage rants in the 70s unfortunately, so I get them having that one happen on stage for the sake of the movie. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

From everything I read, Elvis did eventually learn that Parker was fucking him over. I know for a fact that the on stage confrontation never happened like they show it in the movie, but according to at least two sources, that exact conversation happened backstage in Vegas. So I was fine with them putting it on stage for the drama of it in the movie. Elvis had a lot of on stage rants in the 70s unfortunately, so I get them having that one happen on stage for the sake of the movie. 

Quite incredible if it did - was that confrontation alleged to have happened in Elvis' last run of shows or was it sometime before, if you know? Aye, things like that always happen with these types of films, it was the same with the Queen movie, no doubt a massive success and showcased their music and story to a new generation but I found it impossible to not scrutinize the inaccuracies and some of them made me not enjoy it so much, particularly the whole telling the band he has AIDS before their defining moment at Live Aid but I digress!

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Quite incredible if it did - was that confrontation alleged to have happened in Elvis' last run of shows or was it sometime before, if you know? Aye, things like that always happen with these types of films, it was the same with the Queen movie, no doubt a massive success and showcased their music and story to a new generation but I found it impossible to not scrutinize the inaccuracies and some of them made me not enjoy it so much, particularly the whole telling the band he has AIDS before their defining moment at Live Aid but I digress!

It's been a long time since I read up on it, but if I remember right it happened in late 76. 

Having said that, I can't stand the Queen movie specifically because of the AIDS / Live Aid situation. They got it so wrong and for no reason whatsoever. 

Whereas with Elvis, I do understand how & why they jumbled some events from the last few years together. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Today marks 45 years since Elvis passed away. 

Wow, 45 years, hard to believe it's been that long. He was the reason I got into music, listening first then playing. He was the man, everybody else is just pretending.( I think those are Tom Petty's words, or Springsteen. Can't remember.)

Edited by lame ass security
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Wow, 45 years, hard to believe it's been that long. He was the reason I got into music, listening first then playing. He was the man, everybody else is just pretending.( I think those are Tom Petty's words)

I don't know how to use gifts on this site, but if I did, I would've posted the Walter White "You're goddamn right" gif 😂 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

Since watching the movie I've been on a big Elvis kick. 

Recently watched:

'68 Comeback

That's The Way It Is

And listened to From Elvis In Nashville.

The guy was phenomenal 

That's The Way It Is is the movie I show people that ultimately makes them an Elvis fan. 

• Like 1

It's high energy, and lots of fun!

I've been thinking about giving 'Elvis On Tour' a watch, is as good as 'TTWIS?

So....it is and it isn't lol. 

Here's the thing: have you ever seen the original version of That's The Way It Is? Before they re-edited / fixed it? 

It's WAY more boring, with a LOT of unnecessary stuff before they get to Elvis kicking ass. 

In many ways, Elvis On Tour is like that. When Elvis is featured doing what he does, it's GREAT but there's also a lot of footage of things other than Elvis that just aren't necessary. 

In short, yes it's worth watching because Elvis was amazing in 1972 but you're going to have to wade through a lot of crap to see the really good stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Here's the thing: have you ever seen the original version of That's The Way It Is? Before they re-edited / fixed it? 

It's WAY more boring, with a LOT of unnecessary stuff before they get to Elvis kicking ass. 

In many ways, Elvis On Tour is like that. When Elvis is featured doing what he does, it's GREAT but there's also a lot of footage of things other than Elvis that just aren't necessary. 

In short, yes it's worth watching because Elvis was amazing in 1972 but you're going to have to wade through a lot of crap to see the really good stuff. 

I must have seen the re-edit as it flowed great for me.

I'll check out On Tour anyhow, I mean there's no such thing as too much Elvis, right? :headbang:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Since watching the movie I've been on a big Elvis kick. 

Recently watched:

'68 Comeback

That's The Way It Is

And listened to From Elvis In Nashville.

The guy was phenomenal 

There's this incredible YouTube video which has remastered ALL of the available footage and sound from every "Aloha From Hawaii" release, which I think you should check out. Brilliant stuff :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, opalho said:

There's this incredible YouTube video which has remastered ALL of the available footage and sound from every "Aloha From Hawaii" release, which I think you should check out. Brilliant stuff :)

I forgot to add that to my list, but I have watched it. Incredible!

Thanks!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

But I have to say watching the old dude describe where Elvis was going to be coming off the elevator was gold.😄

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally watched 'Elvis On Tour' and loved the live performances. The rest of the film wasn't very exciting.

I noticed his appearance changed (to my eyes) between this film and Aloha. And even though he slimmed down a bit for Hawaii, he looked rougher.

The guy was a fucking beast though! 

I finally watched 'Elvis On Tour' and loved the live performances. The rest of the film wasn't very exciting.

I noticed his appearance changed (to my eyes) between this film and Aloha. And even though he slimmed down a bit for Hawaii, he looked rougher.

The guy was a fucking beast though! 

I doubt it'll ever happen, but man I wish they'd fix / re-edit Elvis On Tour like they did for That's The Way It Is. There's a ton of unused footage, so they could make it all killer, no filler. 

As far as his appearance, then dude was just run down. He was on your and playing Vegas for all of 1970, 1971 and 1972. So Elvis On Tour finds him at the tail end of that fun in May/June of 72. The dude is just rundown. 

Having said all of that, you're right: he was awesome anyway. The versoms of Never Been To Spain, Bridge Over Troubled Water and that rad rehearsal of I John are all worth watching the movie for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I doubt it'll ever happen, but man I wish they'd fix / re-edit Elvis On Tour like they did for That's The Way It Is. There's a ton of unused footage, so they could make it all killer, no filler. 

As far as his appearance, then dude was just run down. He was on your and playing Vegas for all of 1970, 1971 and 1972. So Elvis On Tour finds him at the tail end of that fun in May/June of 72. The dude is just rundown. 

Having said all of that, you're right: he was awesome anyway. The versoms of Never Been To Spain, Bridge Over Troubled Water and that rad rehearsal of I John are all worth watching the movie for. 

Absolutely right, road weary to say the least. Elvis' tours were different than probably anyone in history. He would typically do a two week tour but in that time he might do 20 shows with the added matinees. It was punishing but I think he did it because he didn't want to be away from Graceland for an extended period.

• Sad 1

Just caught most of the Elvis movie, thought it was a bit disjointed but it did have its moments. I will say, Austin Butler was fantastic and if you're an Elvis fan but didn't shed a tear during the Unchained Melody scene at the end--please turn in your Elvis card.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 3