ELVIS

action

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

This could be said even for The Beatles and The Stones and The Who.  There's a sort of a knowing revivialist piss taking element to it, though the early albums are less in that vein, probably why I have such a fondness for them.  I think it had something to do with the artists as well as the critics believing somewhere inside that this was kids music and not a very dignified way to be carrying on once in your 30s.  It goes further though, I mean really, in terms of the musical ingridients, even Rockin' All Over the World is rock n roll, it has the Chuck Berry stuff and everything...but its just pale revivialist identi-kit dross.

i get pretty bored by the "originals". chuck berry, little richard... can't listen to them for days on end before burning out on them

with elvis it's totally the opposite

Edited by action

2 minutes ago, action said:

i get pretty bored by the "originals". chuck berry, little richard... can't listen to them for days on end before burning out on them

with elvis it's totally the opposite

I can't imagine ever getting bored of Little Richard or Chuck.  I had a big argument before about Chuck, where someone on this forum, I can't remember who, argued that all his songs sound the same, when his discography has a healthy amount of depth to it, its just everybody knows the hits.  The guitar work on that shit is a source of endless fascination for me, the fuckin' poise and precision and flair, its just endlessly listenable to me, nobody but nobody played that fuckin' thing like Chuck Berry, he is up there with Muddy Waters as being the guy to wring out sounds so delightful from that fuckin' thing that I could listen to just him and Muddy til the day I died and not feel like I've missed out on anything.

And Rich', fuck me, Rich' is like the black Iggy Pop before there was an Iggy Pop and James Brown before there was a James Brown, Rich' is infinitely listenable to me.  Christ, its like listening to some kind of a super-charged engine or a rocket or something, that voice just dominates and subjugates all music, its the one voice or one of few voices that I can truly say overshadows the music, the music is subtle and it has a job to do but that voice is a fuckin' glorious thing, I truly believe if I die and go to heaven when God talks he's gonna sound like Rich', Rich' is and was a bad motherfucker, this fuckin' raging shameless black queer from the Deep South in the 1950s with a high screeching fucking voice, in make up and fucking jumpsuits, I mean can you imagine anything more gloriously offensive, I fuckin' love Little Richard.

The originals are it for me, they are as good as rock n roll got, pure rock n roll I mean, Elvis, Rich, Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino...the only thing to really measure up was The Stones, The Beatles were in another direction as were The Who and The Kinks but in terms of like rock n roll/rock, those originals, that blueprint is unsurpassable to me. 

Music in the 50s in general was just so fucking good its incredible, even the bullshit pop fluff like Connie Francis is fuckin' infinitely listenable to me.  Y'know what I think?  I think the true inheritors of rock n roll, the true follow on from that, it weren't The Beatles and The Who (who are great and wonderful in and of themselves) but rather soul music, your Otis Reddings and Marvin Gayes and Sam Cookes.  The Stones understood this instinctively.

But Chuck Berry, christ al-fuckin'-mighty, Chuck Berry, I mean:

G'AWN BOY! :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I can't imagine ever getting bored of Little Richard or Chuck.  I had a big argument before about Chuck, where someone on this forum, I can't remember who, argued that all his songs sound the same, when his discography has a healthy amount of depth to it, its just everybody knows the hits.  The guitar work on that shit is a source of endless fascination for me, the fuckin' poise and precision and flair, its just endlessly listenable to me, nobody but nobody played that fuckin' thing like Chuck Berry, he is up there with Muddy Waters as being the guy to wring out sounds so delightful from that fuckin' thing that I could listen to just him and Muddy til the day I died and not feel like I've missed out on anything.

And Rich', fuck me, Rich' is like the black Iggy Pop before there was an Iggy Pop and James Brown before there was a James Brown, Rich' is infinitely listenable to me.  Christ, its like listening to some kind of a super-charged engine or a rocket or something, that voice just dominates and subjugates all music, its the one voice or one of few voices that I can truly say overshadows the music, the music is subtle and it has a job to do but that voice is a fuckin' glorious thing, I truly believe if I die and go to heaven when God talks he's gonna sound like Rich', Rich' is and was a bad motherfucker, this fuckin' raging shameless black queer from the Deep South in the 1950s with a high screeching fucking voice, in make up and fucking jumpsuits, I mean can you imagine anything more gloriously offensive, I fuckin' love Little Richard.

The originals are it for me, they are as good as rock n roll got, pure rock n roll I mean, Elvis, Rich, Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino...the only thing to really measure up was The Stones, The Beatles were in another direction as were The Who and The Kinks but in terms of like rock n roll/rock, those originals, that blueprint is unsurpassable to me. 

Music in the 50s in general was just so fucking good its incredible, even the bullshit pop fluff like Connie Francis is fuckin' infinitely listenable to me.  Y'know what I think?  I think the true inheritors of rock n roll, the true follow on from that, it weren't The Beatles and The Who (who are great and wonderful in and of themselves) but rather soul music, your Otis Reddings and Marvin Gayes and Sam Cookes.  The Stones understood this instinctively.

But Chuck Berry, christ al-fuckin'-mighty, Chuck Berry, I mean:

G'AWN BOY! :lol:

richard's voice, awesome as it is, really starts to grate on me,... and pretty quickly too if I'm honest. It's awesome, but it's somewhat one-dimensional in its awesomeness don't you think? it's like a rocket that keeps on flying without slowing down ever or shifting gear, it's just one long rocket engine bursting out fire forever, there isn't much nuance. it honestly wears me down.

as for chuck, I believe I have to second that fella you were arguing with: his songs are a bit samey in structure. Come on Len, be honest: how many times did he recycle the johnny b goode riff? I say this in the most respectful possible way, reckognising chuck's huge influence, but as a listening experience to me it offers too little variation.

Now as for Elvis, he's techincally an orginal but he plays so much with the standard palette, using his low voice (and face it, elvis used his low voice playfully in these early tracks almost as a piss take too) and playing with tempo (like the end of jailhuse rock) and such: chuck and little richards don't come close to the variety in song structure that elvis infuses. If elvis was a rocket, it would be a rocket that was twisting and turning, squirting out fire and thunder, with high charged energy blasts included for good measure.

as for chuck, I believe I have to second that fella you were arguing with: his songs are a bit samey in structure. Come on Len, be honest: how many times did he recycle the johnny b goode riff? I say this in the most respectful possible way, reckognising chuck's huge influence, but as a listening experience to me it offers too little variation.

How many times did rock n roll in general recycle that riff?  Not to mention the two string pinkie stuff, thats basically the heart and soul of rock n roll guitar playing, Chuck trying to do Johnsons piano riff on a guitar with two strings.

Berry has the most economic of songwriting styles which liberates his songwriting - it is the very thing which gives it its freedom with both the lead solos and his urbane word play. Anyone who likes great American music has to know this - surely? A great Chuck tune is a little precise nugget of perfection.   

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:33 AM, action said:

190759406427_600x600.jpg

there's this new compilation of 11 recorded shows of elvis, in 1969 when he just returned to live performing, and it's totally awesome. Here, the band is still very much rock n roll and Elvis still sings mean and lean on most of these songs. The sound quality is perfect, and it's just the perfect experience.

there's dinner and midnight shows, so every day at lunch I play the former, and just before I go to sleep I play the latter. case of getting in the mood in listening to these concerts.

I feel like it's cool to listen to Elvis again, don't you think? The media and the public are focusing again on what made him great, and the ridiculous later stage of his career tends to be ignored a bit like it should.

This boxset is soooo good, but only for die hard fans. The single disc is a buy for general fans. 

On 2020-01-30 at 5:39 AM, action said:

could you perhaps clarify why you can't comprehend that people compare elvis to freddie? It's not like one is a tax inspector and the other collector of stamps. both are singers and hugely popular, both being excellent performers.

comparisons are made all the time, and both frequently feature in polls and lists. 

Because they are completely different styles. Apples and Oranges, man.

6 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Because they are completely different styles. Apples and Oranges, man.

I think you missed the point. I wasn't comparing their styles, I was comparing their live delivery of the same song: jailhouse rock. they both sang it in a rock style.

I agree that beyond some songs, there is not much to compare, but it's fun to make the exercise nonetheless.

6 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

How is the 1970 show different from the 1969?

less rock n roll, more contemporary tracks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

my favorite elvis studio albums ranked:

1. something for everybody: marie's the name, sentimental me, put the blame on me, good luck charm, little sister

2. promised land / good times: I just love this album. thinking about you, you asked me to, promised land, ... some really nice tunes on this one

3. moody blue / from elvis presley boulevard: if you love me, little darlin, the last farewell. I think these later albums are vastly underrated

4. GI blues: pocket full of rainbows, shoppin around, what she really like

5. elvis is back: thrill of your love, dirty feeling

6. elvis presley: i got a woman, blue shuede shoes

7. elvis: when my blue moon, first in line

8. loving you: blueberry hill, when it rains it relly pours

9. elvis country: the fool, got my mojo working, funny how time slips away, whole lotta shakin going on

10. blue hawaii: steppin out of line, cant help falling in love, no more

favorite live albums / compilations:

1. the complete comeback special

2. live 1969

3. alhoa from hawaii

4. recorded in memphis 1974

5. madison square garden

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have those big boxsets so I sometimes am a bit oblivious to the albums. 

I love boxsets.

in 2000 or so, they re-released elvis' albums with nice sleevenotes and pictures from the period, with a little information about the recording sessions. they also tried to bundle albums that are tied together by their recording sessions, and they also added the complement hit singles. Also, for historical value. So I went that route, a complete different experience than if you have everything at once from A to B so to speak.

Elvis must be the most compilated, restructured, repackaged and re-released artist out there, to my knowledge

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2020 at 10:58 PM, JONEZY said:

Watched "Love Me Tender" movie today.  Pretty good movie overall, for the time.  Elvis wasn't the best actor, but not bad.  

It was his first crack at it too you gotta remember.  Check out King Creole, then Jailhouse Rock.

Elvis was the only non-Dutch music I grew up with and pretty much the only thing I could appreciate. I had to discover everything else much later by myself. 

So Elvis has a special place, I love his early work. For some reason I keep coming back to Lawdy Miss Clawdy, it's such a simple song but that voice is the Elvis I like the most.

And I fully agree with Len on Little Richard and Chuck Berry, I hold these two in high regard. Lead Belly as well.

Edited by UcudBmine

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

It was his first crack at it too you gotta remember.  Check out King Creole, then Jailhouse Rock.

They both pale in comparison to his finest cinematic performance, Change Of Habit.😄 Elvis actually played a ghetto doctor which is hilarious in itself.  In all fairness, his performance wasn't terrible. Mary Tyler Moore played a young nun whose vow of abstinence was severely tested by Elvis, who didn't know she was a nun. All in all, it's a pretty strange movie.