STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Do we have any idea what time to expect it?

Discussion panel for the film starts at 12pm EST, and the trailer will most likely be at the end of the panel, so close to 1pm EST.

41 minutes ago, soon said:

Is the panel streaming on Youtube or anywhere?

It’ll most likely pop up on their officia YouTube page:

https://m.youtube.com/user/starwars/featured

• Thanks 1

In the thumbnail Rey looks almost like she is based on the animated Rey in Forces of Destiny, rather then the other way around.

Can anyone tell if her lightsaber is Lukes? There was vague talk about Lukes lightsaber in the panel.

I really hope we see a corporeal Luke and that he gets some action scenes.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

In the thumbnail Rey looks almost like she is based on the animated Rey in Forces of Destiny, rather then the other way around.

Can anyone tell if her lightsaber is Lukes? There was vague talk about Lukes lightsaber in the panel.

I really hope we see a corporeal Luke and that he gets some action scenes.

No doubt it's Luke's. Impossible to miss if you watch the trailer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I’m at work, so I can’t watch the trailer yet. But fuck, what a shitty title. 

I find it very interesting.  In some ways it doesn't make any sense since Luke died at the end of TLJ.

It also isn't indicative of the ending of a saga.  Usually things don't rise at the end.  

One wonders if Abrams had directed VIII would he have called it Rise of Skywalker?  Feels as though he's kind of skipping TLJ.

It's also interesting that we hear Emperor Palpatine laugh just prior to the movie title.  

2 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I say it points to Reywalker, Reylo's kid being "Skywalker", or as I've seen others say, "Jedi" will become "Skywalker".

Star Wars movies have never had fast forwards, so I'm not sure how in a two to three hour movie you have Rey and Kylo kiss and makeup then have a kid.  

But the second possibility is really interesting.  Perhaps Ren doesn't call herself a Jedi but instead a Skywalker. I suppose it's just semantics, but would make sense considering where TLJ took us and what the new title indicates.  

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Star Wars movies have never had fast forwards, so I'm not sure how in a two to three hour movie you have Rey and Kylo kiss and makeup then have a kid.  

But the second possibility is really interesting.  Perhaps Ren doesn't call herself a Jedi but instead a Skywalker. I suppose it's just semantics, but would make sense considering where TLJ took us and what the new title indicates.  

Good point on the flash forwards, but they never had flashbacks before TFA either. Maybe instead of Reylo's kid, Rey's new Jedi Order will be Skywalkers. I don't know, I just hope this is better than TLJ.

1 minute ago, luciusfunk said:

I don't know, I just hope this is better than TLJ.

I don't see how it couldn't.  TLJ was terrible and set a pretty low bar.

Hell, the trailer for TROS is better than all of TLJ, even if it's an unfair comparison.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

Im new to Star Wars fandom and film talk in general, so I dont wanna assume that I know what a 'fast forward' is, but in the panel JJ said that IV doesnt take place directly after TLJ. Wouldnt that mean that key events have taken place in the interim? Is that what a fast forward means?

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Im new to Star Wars fandom and film talk in general, so I dont wanna assume that I know what a 'fast forward' is, but in the panel JJ said that IV doesnt take place directly after TLJ. Wouldnt that mean that key events have taken place in the interim? Is that what a fast forward means?

I believe most films take place at least year (in the case of III and IV, decades) between each film.

What I meant was I don't believe there's a Star Wars film where within the same film there's a break between present time and into the future.  Most narratives take place within a fairly limited amount of time, from a couple of days (TLJ, A New Hope) to maybe a week or so.  

@luciusfunk is correct that Abrams used flashbacks during TFA, a first for Star Wars.  But they were fairly limited and used to set up the mystery of Rey's lineage.  

One issue with them using lengthy fast-forwards within the movie is that it might limit Disney in the future should they decide to make episodes X through XIII.  

Then again, who knows.  Guess we'll all find out in December.  

• GNFNR 1

When I heard the laugh at the end I was HYPED but now that I’ve had a few moments to calm down I’m not really sure how to feel... if that laugh is suggesting what I think it is, then this can either be very good or very bad, depending on how it’s handled.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, downzy said:

I believe most films take place at least year (in the case of III and IV, decades) between each film.

What I meant was I don't believe there's a Star Wars film where within the same film there's a break between present time and into the future.  Most narratives take place within a fairly limited amount of time, from a couple of days (TLJ, A New Hope) to maybe a week or so.  

@luciusfunk is correct that Abrams used flashbacks during TFA, a first for Star Wars.  But they were fairly limited and used to set up the mystery of Rey's lineage.  

One issue with them using lengthy fast-forwards within the movie is that it might limit Disney in the future should they decide to make episodes X through XIII.  

Then again, who knows.  Guess we'll all find out in December.  

Thanks for helping me understand. Star Wars is awesome and fun but its also overwhelming to walk into it all, for me especially the timelines haven't sunk in yet. So between TFA into TLJ and Rogue One into ANH going directly into one another, that was enough for me to come to expect it I guess. (Wait, so Han was in carbon for a year - that pisses me off!! lol)

I really hope they will do X through XIII!

The Phantom Menace - 32 BBY

Attack of the Clones - 22 BBY

Revenge of the Sith - 19 BBY

Solo - 9 BBY

Rogue One - 0 BBY

Star Wars - 0 BBY

The Empire Strikes Back - 3 ABY

Return of the Jedi - 4 ABY

The Force Awakens - 34 ABY

The Last Jedi - 34 ABY

The Rise of Skywalker - ?? ABY

• Like 1