What Are You Listening To?

Dean

17 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

@Jabberwocky Sounds Japanese, 80's or in an intentional retro 80's style. Has kind of a licence free music vibe too.

It does have some resemblence to 80's Japanese City Pop. There's been guesses ranging from and old Savage Garden demo to the guy who sung the friggin theme song to Pokemon. All debunked though. A good lead is that this is snippet was from MTV but from Spain cause the OG uploader was from Spain and because there was a pilot tone found in PAL. This is from a cassette recorder aimed at the TV cause he was just learning how to capture audio. Another theory is this is from a commercial cause he was taping them to learn how to speak English. And in a moment of pure irony there was an ad for a clothing line from late 89 or 90's called....Ulterior Motives. But sadly not to be.

The liscense free music vibe is something I never thought about, especially if it is indeed some kind of intentional creation. In my opinion I think it was a snippet of an interview that was cut to just the song itself cause

1. why would he need JUST that section (cause it's in his native language. see point above about English lessons)

2. how the song cuts right to the chorus

My guess but it's such a rich story.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Could be half way through a chorus really, hard to tell that the clip starts at the beginning of it. I would look at licence free music from the 80's. If it came from either tv or video in the 80's then an ad is one option. But has anyone looked at workout videos? They were pretty big back then and I doubt many had the budget to shell out for actual songs. They probably used cheery happy pop music they didn't need to pay much for.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

Could be half way through a chorus really, hard to tell that the clip starts at the beginning of it. I would look at licence free music from the 80's. If it came from either tv or video in the 80's then an ad is one option. But has anyone looked at workout videos? They were pretty big back then and I doubt many had the budget to shell out for actual songs. They probably used cheery happy pop music they didn't need to pay much for.

I have no idea but there is a subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/everyoneknowsthat/

28k members is a pretty good reach for just one song

If hasn't been asked there I sure as shit will. Those are both very good leads to try. Especially workout videos. I've been (on the ad side) thinking it might be for a board game. Like Pictionary or Win, Lose or Draw. If you know what I mean? I remeber them being hit shows as well in the 80's. It has a sort of, for lack of a better word, annunciation vibe. Everything was this neon pastel loosey feel but take every lyric literally and succinctly.  Like how music videos used to spell everything out Anyways..

I know one thing and if this turns out to be an ARG or, it might be a reach, a viral marketing campaign. If it is it would be one of the most brilliant fucking swerves everr.

• Like 1

Just found out Eloy Casagrande left Sepultura prior to their farewell tour, most probably to join Slipknot. I'm happy for him and all, he's certainly gonna earn a lot more money but fuck - couldn't it wait til the farewell tour was over? Eloy is one of the greatest drummers out there today, and his contributions to Sepultura are immesurable. The albums they released with him were the best since the peak of the Max Cavalera era, more than 30 years ago. I would have loved to see him live with the band in the Farewell Tour.

A brief history of the song and video if anyone is interested. :) EKV(Ekatarina Velika) was a Serbian/Yugoslavian band, personally one of my 2 favorite domestic bands. And this is probably their most famous song.

35 years have passed since the release of the album "Samo par godina za nas"(Just a few years for us) by the group EKV(Ekatarina Velika/Catherine the Great). The video for the title song "Par godina za nas"(A couple of years for us), which was voted the "Best domestic song of all time" by the listeners of Radio B92 in 2006, is now available on the Ekatarina Velika Official YouTube channel in full glory - with remastered sound and technical with a polished image. In an interview, Milan Mladenović revealed that the lyrics for the song was written in just an hour in the studio, and that it sings "about the current losstness of people living in Yugoslavia, and how many people do not see any future." So, live from today to tomorrow." Vlada Aleksić, director of the music video on the occasion of its new premiere, says: "To me, the entire album Samo par godina was very inspiring for us. He breathed a strange combination of energy and melancholy, bursting with music, but also announcing some ominous tones. It sounded like no and like yes, like prohibition and like permission(This is reference to part of the lyrics of the song Krug(Circle) from this album). The nineties were approaching dangerously"(The 90s were a dark and difficult time in Yugoslavia. Disintegration of Yugoslavia, wars and bombing happened). He also says that the collaboration on the recording of the video came about spontaneously: "Magi invited me to talk, and she, Milan and I talked about the video. I mentioned Wenders' film Sky over Berlin. Milan liked that association, and somehow we came up with the idea of making the video a black-and-white walk in a very narrow part of Belgrade. My first idea was that the footage from the very narrow area of the Belgrade asphalt should only be in slow motion and in black and white. The second part of the concept was the world that took place long before or simultaneously with the creation of the song in reality and fiction. A fusion of different levels of reality. For me, that was music and the existence of EKV, that was the album Samo par godina za nas and that was and still is the song Par godina za nas", Vlada Alaksić vividly remembers. Some shots of the video have been the subject of various theories for years, including those in which Humphrey Bogart appears. "I don't want to talk about why Humphrey Bogart and why the sentence (Remember, mine is bigger than yours). I would like that still, after so many years, that directorial outburst would be open to interpretations", the video's director remains secretive, but he reveals the secret of the only color shot in this black-and-white story. "The only color shot in the video is a close-up of Margita. It is an homage to the story of the aestheticization and essence of Ekatarina Velika (Catherine the Great)."