5 Killer Album Closers

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Not gonna bump this thread every time I put out a new YouTube video

You're a legend.. You can do whatever the fuck you want!

And I nominate "Diary of a Madman" as one of the greatest album closers of all time \m/

You could probably do a whole episode on Sabbath album closers too!   Warning, Fairies Wear Boots, Into The Void, The Writ!?!?!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

You're a legend.. You can do whatever the fuck you want!

And I nominate "Diary of a Madman" as one of the greatest album closers of all time \m/

You could probably do a whole episode on Sabbath album closers too!   Warning, Fairies Wear Boots, Into The Void, The Writ!?!?!

Funny you should mention Diary....I just shot a video today for My Top 5 Ozzy Solo Albums. 

It'll be out in a few weeks, so you can check out where Diary ranked. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 6:02 AM, RussTCB said:

I started out trying to pick obscure / lesser known closers but how could I not include Purple Rain?? 

As far as GN'R goes, Don't Cry Alt actually closes UYI II but I get your point :)

And yeah, I think Loving The Alien is massively underrated 

Loving the Alien is massively underrated and so is Messages from Libertad. I have no clue why that song ended up as a B-side. Slash’s guitars work on that song is some of the best he did in VR. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Loving the Alien is massively underrated and so is Messages from Libertad. I have no clue why that song ended up as a B-side. Slash’s guitars work on that song is some of the best he did in VR. 

I may have mentioned Messages in that video but I can't remember. I gave Loving The Alien all sorts of attention though, that's for sure. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I may have mentioned Messages in that video but I can't remember. I gave Loving The Alien all sorts of attention though, that's for sure. 

Have we collectively underrated Libertad? While I think Contraband is superior there are four really good songs on Libertad. Aforementioned Messages, Let it Roll, She Builds Quick Machines, and The Last Fight. I feel like people thought it sucked when it really didn’t. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Have we collectively underrated Libertad? While I think Contraband is superior there are four really good songs on Libertad. Aforementioned Messages, Let it Roll, She Builds Quick Machines, and The Last Fight. I feel like people thought it sucked when it really didn’t. 

I always loved it.. Can't go without mentioning Gravedancer either... Amazing song..

3 hours ago, Arnuld said:

I really should've given Libertad more of a shot. I really did like The Last Fight but not much else. I should give it a go again soon. Loved Messages tho. 

And @Tom-AssI *could* bump this every time I have a new video, but I don't wanna lol. I put out new videos every Thursday & Saturday. So anyone who wants to can subscribe to the channel.

I will make sure to post videos that are directly related to GNR in this section though :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arnuld said:

What irritates me is that they picked SBQM as the first single, which in my opinion is the weakest song on the record! 

Album picks: all songs except SBQM.

• Like 1

Interesting topic... best album closers! This will be hellishly unpopular... I absolutely don't get the outro to Rocket Queen at all, despite how well everybody plays! It just sound bloody odd to me, to this day. On Prostitute (as seen that mentioned a few times)... the synths at the end are superb, and my favourite part of the song! I'm not even I like the main track. But I love the synths come down. Really really dig that actually. It's the one part of the album where there ain't a fucking guitar solo filling in space! 

23 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Interesting topic... best album closers! This will be hellishly unpopular... I absolutely don't get the outro to Rocket Queen at all, despite how well everybody plays! It just sound bloody odd to me, to this day. On Prostitute (as seen that mentioned a few times)... the synths at the end are superb, and my favourite part of the song! I'm not even I like the main track. But I love the synths come down. Really really dig that actually. It's the one part of the album where there ain't a fucking guitar solo filling in space! 

I love everything about Prostitute as a closer. I know I went on about it in the video, but the way the synths fade out is not only perfect for the song but the absolute perfect way to end the album. 

The best GNR closer is obviously My World :lol: Rocket Queen is fantastic, my favorite Guns song of all time and a great closer. Although in my mind it's always Paradise City closing out AFD.

I like it when the closing song on an album actually has a meaning, other than it being a good song.

Some actual "final" songs come to mind:

Keep Me in Your Heart - Warren Zevon (The Wind)

The Show Must Go On - Queen (Innuendo)

Kind of tragic, but fitting.

Also, any fellow MJ fans here? HIStory is my favorite album of all time and whenever I listen to it I'm disappointed that it doesn't end with the title track. It's a perfect closing song (he even closed out the HIStory World Tour with it) but on the album there's still two minor (but also good) songs following it.

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

The best GNR closer is obviously My World :lol: Rocket Queen is fantastic, my favorite Guns song of all time and a great closer. Although in my mind it's always Paradise City closing out AFD.

I like it when the closing song on an album actually has a meaning, other than it being a good song.

Some actual "final" songs come to mind:

Keep Me in Your Heart - Warren Zevon (The Wind)

The Show Must Go On - Queen (Innuendo)

Kind of tragic, but fitting.

Also, any fellow MJ fans here? HIStory is my favorite album of all time and whenever I listen to it I'm disappointed that it doesn't end with the title track. It's a perfect closing song (he even closed out the HIStory World Tour with it) but on the album there's still two minor (but also good) songs following it.

MJ you say? Big fan and of course, I have a video for that lol

• Like 1

As soon as I saw this thread there were certain albums that immediately came to mind

Coma, Rocket Queen, Would and Release would be my Mount Rushmore growing up.  These closers were the songs that made listening to both sides of the cassettes a must listen. 
(VR side notes - Loving the Alien is such an incredible song and still remember my first listen in my car day of release during my lunch break. What a fucking closer!!  As for libertad, I agree it doesn’t get the respect it deserves.  A personal fave has always been Pills Demons etc.   What a banger

Back to bands that cared about the albums A to Z.  Zeppelin hit the pinnacle of closers with Bring it on Home and The Ocean.  I honestly don’t think it gets better than these two. 
I saw love for Brain Damage/Eclipse which almost seems unfair to include given the perfection of the entire album   Ditto for Sgt Peppers/A Day in the Life 

The Doors have several albums that could easily be argued the best closer as already noted in the comment above 

Deserted Cities of the Heart on Creams last album is an all timer and would actually be my dark horse pick.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

MJ you say? Big fan and of course, I have a video for that lol

Just subscribed.

...also, I'd rank them the exact same order. As I said in my original post, HIStory is my favorite album of all time by any artist. I love each and every song on there. Actually my top 3 MJ songs all come from this album (Earth Song, HIStory, Stranger in Moscow) with Earth Song also being my favorite song of all time, by any artist. Discovering MJ and that album in general really changed everything in terms of my interest in music for me, it sparked a fire that still burns today. It doesn't matter who I still discover in music, MJ will always be my No.1 artist, album and song.

Whoops, got a bit carried away there! :lol:

Oh and by the way, I also totally love underdog albums. I really tend to love later albums by artists, the ones that get no recognition because their hits are already 25 years behind. Those are the ones I listen to more than the "original" stuff and are some great hidden gems in an artists catalogue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Just subscribed.

...also, I'd rank them the exact same order. As I said in my original post, HIStory is my favorite album of all time by any artist. I love each and every song on there. Actually my top 3 MJ songs all come from this album (Earth Song, HIStory, Stranger in Moscow) with Earth Song also being my favorite song of all time, by any artist. Discovering MJ and that album in general really changed everything in terms of my interest in music for me, it sparked a fire that still burns today. It doesn't matter who I still discover in music, MJ will always be my No.1 artist, album and song.

Whoops, got a bit carried away there! :lol:

Oh and by the way, I also totally love underdog albums. I really tend to love later albums by artists, the ones that get no recognition because their hits are already 25 years behind. Those are the ones I listen to more than the "original" stuff and are some great hidden gems in an artists catalogue.

Thanks for the sub! I know you watched the MJ video but yeah, HIStory is my favorite by a country mile. 

It's funny you mention albums from later in careers. I shot a video the other day that'll be out in a few weeks that focuses on exactly that. I picked 5 great albums from later in artists career that more people should hear. 

• Like 1