One of Axls heroes Dan Mccafferty dead at 76

Nightmare - died this afternoon. Most of us know that Nazareth and Mccafferty in particular played a big part in the bands early years (Dan was a proto-Axl for the rasp and Manny Charlton was involved with the Sound City sessions).

I hope we get a rendition of Hair Of The Dog at the next gig….only fitting really.

Edited by DTJ80
Updated title
  • GNFNR 3

• DTJ80 changed the title to One of Axls heroes Dan Mccafferty dead at 76
1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

Hearing Axl sing now you're messing with a son of a bitch in peak Mickey tone sounds hilarious.

I’d suspect he’d use the lower voice for that bit 🤣. It’s a pity we didn’t get a performance of it back in the day when he still had the chops to do it….I’d still like to hear it now though.

Edit - just saw they did it 3 times in 88 and once in 90?!

Edited by DTJ80

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d suspect he’d use the lower voice for that bit 🤣. It’s a pity we didn’t get a performance of it back in the day when he still had the chops to do it….I’d still like to hear it now though.

there’s a video of him singing it in a performance with Metallica guys and Bach I think, it’s not the best quality but you can hear the voice in good condition and he’s giving it full throttle dancing around with his top off etc lol

9 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I think they did it during the Iron Maiden tour

7 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

there’s a video of him singing it in a performance with Metallica guys and Bach I think, it’s not the best quality but you can hear the voice in good condition and he’s giving it full throttle dancing around with his top off etc lol

Yeah - the GAK gig. It’s at least listenable. 👍

10 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think they did it during the Iron Maiden tour

Three times according to Setlist.com

If they did it live in 93 I think it could have been brilliant.

In 1987, Axl asked McCafferty to sing on November Rain:

Do you still want Dan McCafferty (Nazareth) to sing "Love Hurts" with you on your wedding day?

Axl: When we got back to the States, I was informed that Dan had listened to our ballad 'November Rain' and liked it a lot. So I asked him if he wanted to sing with me, and he told me that he’d love to do it, if he could.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3995-1988-04-dd-popular-1-interview-with-axl

• Like 1

The 1990 Hair of the Dog performance at the RIP magazine party is awesome. That whole set is cool -- Axl seems like he's out to prove a point. He makes "Piece of Me" by Skid Row sound like a GNR b-side.

There's film of the Megadeth tour bus from a few days after that show, and one of the guys there (but not in Megadeth) was ragging Slash trying to play Whiplash haha. Marty Friedman seemed to think it sounded like a cool little show -- and it was! (from the poor quality videos posted online). 

Also when this photo was taken (which I always thought was an awesome one):

Slash, Duff McKagan, Lars Ulrich, Sebastian Bach and Axl, 1990. :  r/GunsNRoses

Edited by Ant000
  • Like 2