Your Concerts in 2023

opalho

On 11/20/2023 at 4:51 PM, DoMw94 said:

I don't frequent this part of the forum much, so sorry for responding to older stuff...

I saw Kiss this year and was massively disappointed. Third time seeing them on this tour and the worst by a long way. Forget the talk of Paul using backing tracks, the pyro has them! Seriously, where there was once fireworks in the set, they now just play 'bang' sounds over the PA. You go to see Kiss to see a spectacle, not some half-assed crap like that.

In other news I saw Greta Van Fleet (twice) and Queens of the Stone Age last week. Greta was fun both times, but the excessive 20 minute guitar solos were a tad annoying. QotSA were good – first time seeing them, was persuaded to go by a mate

I saw Kiss 3- times. 

2009 was AMAZING. Even though it was without Ace and Peter, it was a very memorable show. It was for their Alive/35 Tour and on their very last show at Cobo Hall, which of course, is a legendary venue for Kiss because it is where they recorded a good amount of Alive. Cobo was a time warp. As soon as you walked in, it felt like you were transported to 1975. A perfect setting for Kiss. My friend and I went in makeup and got seats in the rafters for like $30. They played all of Alive (minus maybe two songs) and a bunch of other classic songs. I remember Black Diamond blowing me away. The stage show was awesome, way better than the other two times I saw them. LED- cubes everywhere and a small, but bright KISS logo in the middle. Lot's of pyro, moving platforms, and the works. I remember buying an autographed poster of Tommy at the merch table which is long- gone, and the coolest concert souvenir- a CD of the actual show! I still have it but I think I may be missing one of the discs. I should dig it out. Anyways, it was a perfect KISS concert. The only things missing were Ace and Peter. Sound- wise, Tommy and Eric were great that show, though. 

I then saw them in 2010 and 2014. They were fun shows but, in an amphitheater, called Pine Knob. Pine Knob is actually one of my favorite venues, but not so much for KISS. It was fine, but the stage shows were scaled back. In 2010 we snuck up right to the front for the encore which was cool. In 2014 they played with Def Leppard, but I honestly don't remember much about that show because I just got drunk. They had that spider stage in 2014, but I didn't think much of it compared to the 2009 show. 

Anyways, that is all long- winded, but I felt like reminiscing. I almost saw KISS on this tour, but thought I would just let that 2009 show stay as my definitive KISS memory. 

Also saw Greta Van Fleet in 2018. Honestly, I loved the show at the time, but it was "we have Led Zeppelin at home" :lol: They even copied a jam Zep used to do and made it a song! I still like them for what they are, and that show was killer! It was cool seeing them in Detroit since they are from Michigan. I saw them at the beautiful Fox Theater, and they did 3 sold- out shows there. I went to one, and that was plenty. It was a good concert. They just played the big arena here, but I couldn't go. Saw QotSA in 2017. Royal Blood opened and blew them away. I am very glad I saw QotSA at least once, though. I think Josh may have been drunk on stage. 

• Like 1

Alright, I think 2023 is a wrap. This was probably the most packed year in terms of shows. Geddy Lee wasn't really a concert, but I'll count it.

Biggest surprises for how awesome they were go to Mdou Moctar (it was a guitar explosion in a little club) and seeing The Temptations front row in Detroit. They only have one original member, but I will take it. Seeing him at the Fox Theater in Detroit and hearing all of those big Motown hits in the city from the front row was incredible. I enjoyed both of those concerts a lot more than I thought I would. Steward Copeland with an orchestra was also a nice surprise. He actually makes a good frontman and his drumming is amazing. I sadly missed The Police reunion in 2008, so this was my first time hearing those songs live. 

A lot of other artists I got to check off the list, too this year- Peter Gabriel, The Zombies, Ghost, Depeche Mode- all what I expected and top notch. Repeats of bands I love like Royal Blood and Metallica were good, and also what I expected. 

Least favorites were Fitz and the Tantrums (went because my sister likes them, and she was in a bad mood because of the big crowd. The night ended up being salvaged because we got a good balcony spot), Three Doors Down/Candlebox (this one barely counts. Don't care for these acts much, but it was a free show we caught bits of here and there. Saw Chicago again the night after at the same event, and I like them quite a bit), and Wax Tailor (he is a sampler artist my fiancé likes. We saw him 6 years ago and it was actually awesome. This show was lower energy and I was admittedly tired).

From the GNR front, I saw them twice bringing my total to 10 since 2010. My thoughts are in the main section, but basically the Boston show was far superior to the Hollywood show. It was still cool seeing them in LA and getting The General debut. 

Looking into 2024, I don't have anything big on my radar, yet. 

Anyways,

-Fitz and the Tantrums (Let Yourself Free Tour)- St. Andrews Hall, Detroit
-Cory Wong and Victor Wooten/Trousdale (Powerstation Tour)- Majestic Theater, Detroit
-Wax Tailor (Fishing for Accidents Tour)- The Magic Stick, Detroit
-Mark Guiliana (The Sound of Listening Tour)- The Cube at Orchestra Hall
-Kali Uchis/ Raye (Red Moon in Venus Tour)- The Fillmore, Detroit
-Three Doors Down/ Candlebox (Traverse City National Cherry Festival)- Open Space Park
-Chicago (Traverse City National Cherry Festival)- Open Space Park
-Mdou Moctar (Afrique Victime Tour)- The Blind Pig, Ann Arbor
-Ghost (Re-Imperatour)- Pine Knob
-Guns N’ Roses/ The Pretenders (World Tour 2023)- Fenway Park, Boston
-Royal Blood/ Bad Nerves (Back to the Water Below Tour)- The Fillmore, Detroit
-Peter Gabriel (i/o Tour)- Little Ceasar’s Arena
-The Temptations/Four Tops- Fox Theatre, Detroit
-Stewart Copeland and the DSO (Police Deranged)- Orchestra Hall, Detroit
-The Zombies/ JD Eicher (Different Game Tour)- Royal Oak Music Theater
-Guns N’ Roses/ The Black Keys (World Tour 2023)- Hollywood Bowl
-Depeche Mode (Memento Mori Tour)- Little Caesar’s Arena, Detroit
-Papadosio (To Live a Making Tour)- The Magic Stick, Detroit
-Metallica (M72 World Tour)- Ford Field, Detroit
-Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening- The Fillmore, Detroit
-Geddy Lee and Chad Smith (My Effin Life Book Tour)- The Fillmore, Detroit

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2023 at 3:29 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Mac Saturn deserves to be bigger. 

These guys are local to where I live. I'm assuming you heard about what happened to them? Keyboard is a sicko

Edited by ZoSoRose

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

These guys are local to where I live. I'm assuming you heard about what happened to them? Keyboard is a sicko

Yea that's fucked. I like most of their songs and the first time I saw them they didn't even have the keyboard player, but I guess they're probably done...