Axl Rose “Kill Your Idols” Shirt

Years ago (and I do mean like 20 years ago) I saw it on display in a local evangelical book store. Didn't buy it though. But at least I could tell my Christian mom that it was clearly not a heathen thing since it was on sale in an evangelical book store. 

If you want one though, a quick google shirt should sort things out. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tripp said:

Does anyone know the meaning behind or of this shirt? Is it against God? 

Could be religious but I always thought it was about not worshipping people in positions of fame or power. With the shirt it was probably about not making Christianity the end all be all of your life and to not put Jesus Christ on such a pedestal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tripp said:

Does anyone know the meaning behind or of this shirt?  

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's understanding without guidance from another. This immaturity is self-imposed when its cause lies not in lack of understanding, but in lack of resolve and courage to use it without guidance from another." Immanuel Kant

In easy words: "Dare to know!" "Have courage to use your understanding!" - "Kill your Idols" - https://donelan.faculty.writing.ucsb.edu/enlight.html

3 hours ago, Tripp said:

Is it against God? 

No, not necessarily, it's more about (organized) religions and it's possible consequences onto peoples minds and lifes.

That's my understanding put in a nutshell.

Edited by HWolllert
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, HWolllert said:

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's understanding without guidance from another. This immaturity is self-imposed when its cause lies not in lack of understanding, but in lack of resolve and courage to use it without guidance from another." Immanuel Kant

In easy words: "Dare to know!" "Have courage to use your understanding!" - "Kill your Idols" - https://donelan.faculty.writing.ucsb.edu/enlight.html

No, not necessarily, it's more about (organized) religions and it's possible consequences onto peoples minds and lifes.

That's my understanding put in a nutshell.

Axl could have straight up been a hard-ass comedian when you look at these rants. There's such a hard outer shell to him in this video for a guy who clearly had a lot of outer pressure and inner turmoil.  This version of Axl so seemed like he was heading to an early grave and seems a million miles away from the current version who at some point found some inner peace and just seems like he enjoys life.

I’m not here to try to say why he would wear that shirt because only he would know but GNR’s whole brand back then was just being controversial. Why would he wear a Charles Manson shirt? Because he’s the lead singer of “the most dangerous band in the world”. I doubt he was trying to make much of a statement 

• Like 1

"Kill your idols" is similar to the phrase "Lose your illusions."  

Everyone has an idea of what their world is and how it should be.  That's their "illusion."  You can use that illusion to progress in life to a point, but at some point, something is going to happen to shatter that illusion.  You'll see the world for how it really is and you will become "disillusioned."  You'll have depression and anger.  That's why it's important to not try to build your own expectations up too high or become complacent with how things are going in your life.  You should "lose your illusions."  

"Kill your idols" is basically that same concept.  Don't put anyone on a pedestal.  Don't let your concept of a person get blown up into something bigger than what it is.  For example, take Axl Rose himself.  Some people have built him up to be a hero or somehow larger than life, when he's just an ordinary man.  Imagine going to meet someone who you've idolized but when you meet them, they're nothing like you imagined.  You've created an illusion of this person in your own mind and are now shown the truth, and truth is usually shocking.  

So, sure, it can directly be about religious idols, but in a broader sense, it's about not building anyone or anything up in your own head.  

Edited by Amish
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

I’m not here to try to say why he would wear that shirt because only he would know but GNR’s whole brand back then was just being controversial. Why would he wear a Charles Manson shirt? Because he’s the lead singer of “the most dangerous band in the world”. I doubt he was trying to make much of a statement 

Axl had a persecution complex and those shirts were his statement. He even grew a beard to fully send the message :lol:

Am i joking? I don't know.

• ABSUЯD 1

I eventually assumed it was a shirt from the new york hardcore band since Axl has seemed to like "underground" stuff from time to time but, just now, in getting to the bottom of that, that wasn't the case in the early 90s since the band, kill your idols, only started playing in 95, so, couldn't have been that (wouldn't be surprised if the band got the idea for the name from Axl's shirt lol).

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:42 PM, -W.A.R- said:

Axl had a persecution complex and those shirts were his statement. He even grew a beard to fully send the message :lol:

Am i joking? I don't know.

The guy had some black and white pictures where he looks like the Western depiction of Jesus.

0_550_693.jpg

On 2/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Amish said:

"Kill your idols" is similar to the phrase "Lose your illusions."  

Everyone has an idea of what their world is and how it should be.  That's their "illusion."  You can use that illusion to progress in life to a point, but at some point, something is going to happen to shatter that illusion.  You'll see the world for how it really is and you will become "disillusioned."  You'll have depression and anger.  That's why it's important to not try to build your own expectations up too high or become complacent with how things are going in your life.  You should "lose your illusions."  

"Kill your idols" is basically that same concept.  Don't put anyone on a pedestal.  Don't let your concept of a person get blown up into something bigger than what it is.  For example, take Axl Rose himself.  Some people have built him up to be a hero or somehow larger than life, when he's just an ordinary man.  Imagine going to meet someone who you've idolized but when you meet them, they're nothing like you imagined.  You've created an illusion of this person in your own mind and are now shown the truth, and truth is usually shocking.  

So, sure, it can directly be about religious idols, but in a broader sense, it's about not building anyone or anything up in your own head.  

I think you read too far into it. The shirt's probably just a take on society as a whole. We're self-destructive etc, and so much so, that we literally killed the son of God. It's tragic irony. A parable.

Edited by Nintari

On 2/20/2023 at 4:20 AM, there is no dana only zool said:

I eventually assumed it was a shirt from the new york hardcore band since Axl has seemed to like "underground" stuff from time to time but, just now, in getting to the bottom of that, that wasn't the case in the early 90s since the band, kill your idols, only started playing in 95, so, couldn't have been that (wouldn't be surprised if the band got the idea for the name from Axl's shirt lol).

Sonic Youth has a song/ep named Kill Yr Idols. I'm not sure there is any connection, I just think Axl liked the phrase. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Sonic Youth has a song/ep named Kill Yr Idols. I'm not sure there is any connection, I just think Axl liked the phrase. 

Oooh man okay no no i bet you that's where like... yea I bet if Axl had any attraction toward the shirt other than simply liking the quote, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cuz he liked the SY song. 

On 2/22/2023 at 3:11 PM, Nintari said:

I think you read too far into it. The shirt's probably just a take on society as a whole. We're self-destructive etc, and so much so, that we literally killed the son of God. It's tragic irony. A parable.

No, it really has always meant exactly what I said.  I'm not even reading anything into it.  It's saying to stop propping people up on some belief you've concocted about their personality.  Stop turning people into Michael Jackson, or ironically, Axl Rose.  Stop worshipping your own idea of things.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 5:25 AM, Amish said:

No, it really has always meant exactly what I said.  I'm not even reading anything into it.  It's saying to stop propping people up on some belief you've concocted about their personality.  Stop turning people into Michael Jackson, or ironically, Axl Rose.  Stop worshipping your own idea of things.

I disagree. I see it as irony.

But that's okay. We don't have to agree.

Don't hail me
And don't idolize the ink
Or I've failed in my attentions
Can you find the missing link
Your only validation is living your own life
Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time

Explaining the lyrics:

Axl: It just means, you know, it’s trying to show people to realize their own personal power and their own abilities rather than going, you know, “Axl Rose is God and that’s great”. It’s like, “Whoa, don’t say I’m God”. It’s like, you know, just get your own thing together. And that’s where I say “if I fail in my intentions”. If a person is just idolizing me and not working in their own life, then we fail with things we’re trying to express in that song. Rockline, November 27, 1991.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

19 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Don't hail me
And don't idolize the ink
Or I've failed in my attentions
Can you find the missing link
Your only validation is living your own life
Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time

Explaining the lyrics:

Axl: It just means, you know, it’s trying to show people to realize their own personal power and their own abilities rather than going, you know, “Axl Rose is God and that’s great”. It’s like, “Whoa, don’t say I’m God”. It’s like, you know, just get your own thing together. And that’s where I say “if I fail in my intentions”. If a person is just idolizing me and not working in their own life, then we fail with things we’re trying to express in that song. Rockline, November 27, 1991.

Exactly