08/29/23 - Charlotte, NC - Spectrum Center

downzy

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

100%.  Although Axl can't sing like he used to, especially live, I'm not going to a GNR show to hear pitch perfect vocals.  Going to see a rock band isn't like going to see Celine Dione or Pavaratti.  It's about the attitude more than the vocal perfection.

Freddie Mercury was probably the best "singer" to front a rock band and even he wasn't perfect live.  He sometimes did songs in a lower key than the recording and got a lot of backing vocal help from Roger Taylor especially. 

To expect Axl at 61 to sound like Axl at 28 is unrealistic.  He wasn't a perfect singer back then so he certainly won't be 3 decades later.

Maybe tryin to sing like 2010... 46... 47 years old is too much effort and he could fuck his vocals cords.

I want to hear the rasp one last time.

8 hours ago, JasmineSwe said:

I very much second this - Myles Kennedy is a technically very skilled singer, but to me he lacks charisma and is so boring to watch, there's no feeling there. Whatever Axl lacks vocally today, he totally makes up for with his amazing stage presence and connection with the music and the crowd. 

Yeah, I mean Myles has the vocal chops no doubt about it but something is lacking there. Whilst Jimmy Page is the guitarist I've most wanted to see live and was gutted when the Zeppelin guys didn't end up doing a VR thing with Myles, given how he performs the GN'R stuff, I'm sort of glad we didn't get his take on the Zeppelin catalogue. I remember saying to Zeppelin fans at the time that the only guy I think could have pulled that off was Chris Cornell. The guy was an absolute powerhouse vocally and his passing was a really tragic loss to the music world. 

6 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

100%.  Although Axl can't sing like he used to, especially live, I'm not going to a GNR show to hear pitch perfect vocals.  Going to see a rock band isn't like going to see Celine Dione or Pavaratti.  It's about the attitude more than the vocal perfection.

Freddie Mercury was probably the best "singer" to front a rock band and even he wasn't perfect live.  He sometimes did songs in a lower key than the recording and got a lot of backing vocal help from Roger Taylor especially. 

To expect Axl at 61 to sound like Axl at 28 is unrealistic.  He wasn't a perfect singer back then so he certainly won't be 3 decades later.

Yeah, it's the performance over the chops for me any time. I went to see Dream Theater a few years back, love the music and they're phenomenal players but I found the show pretty dull. I'd much rather see someone raw like Jack White giving it his all and putting on a great show. 

5 hours ago, IzzysMissy said:

So both of these ideas are SUPER expensive to execute tour budget wise. It’s basically fly-in dates for everyone involved.. flights from diff points, hotels, transport…

Metallica is pulling it off because the designed a 360 experience and have sold every ticket of that 360…

2wks on/2wks off means your still paying crew ongoing.. even if off weeks are half pay..

Weekend Warrior tours do very well when spaced out properly, but again, it’s all fly in dates. I think Axls voice has sounded best with 2 shows a week on 4 days rest. 

I've been to see John Cale a bunch of times (one of my all time favourite musicians) and I've always mused that the guy must just do it for the love of music because he doesn't do big tours anymore and often they're quite spread out. He also has quite a sizeable band. I figured that he really mustn't make much of a profit on his shows. Something that really highlighted how slim the margins are for some acts was when Ministry had to pull the plug on a European tour last year because a festival had been cancelled. I mean, I think the main reason for the Axl/DC thing was so that AC/DC weren't liable for the cancellation costs when Brian Johnson had to sit it out. 

3 hours ago, axlvai said:

Maybe tryin to sing like 2010... 46... 47 years old is too much effort and he could fuck his vocals cords.

I want to hear the rasp one last time.

I wonder if he overworked his voice in that Axl/DC run. I thought we'd long since heard the last of raspy Axl and he comes out and kills it like it's 2006. It was absolutely phenomenal to see but I wonder if that has had a negative impact in the long run. 

• PERHAPS 1

On 8/30/2023 at 7:25 PM, metalavenger99 said:

Oh my fucking god that pic is awful :/ 

The old pictures originally included in the article have now been replaced by official pictures provided by GN'R.  

Current article:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article278722079.html

Original:

https://archive.ph/kYniR

(@Martin Riggs it looks I was right about them being slow to send pictures to the media :lol:)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The old pictures originally included in the article have now been replaced by official pictures provided by GN'R.  

Current article:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article278722079.html

Original:

https://archive.ph/d25FM

(@Martin Riggs it looks I was right about them being slow to send pictures to the media :lol:)

Wow that's absolutely night and day to the previous ones... stadium looks full too, i couldn't go but they never got any trouble selling tickets for this one i think.

How did you notice? Do you keep track of the articles to use them in a4d??? they were too slow to send this, someone i know read this when it came out and messaged me saying Axl was fatter than ever:lol:

Just now, metalavenger99 said:

Wow that's absolutely night and day to the previous ones... stadium looks full too, i couldn't go but they never got any trouble selling tickets for this one i think.

How did you notice? Do you keep track of the articles to use them in a4d??? they were too slow to send this, someone i know read this when it came out and messaged me saying Axl was fatter than ever:lol:

Yeah, I had bookmarked it to post it later on a4d. At first I didn't realized it and I thought "Wait, did this article have official pictures?" Then I remembered it originally had that awful picture from 2019 and I saw there was an archived version of the original article.

• ABSUЯD 1

I hate to say it but there are many photos popping up everywhere from recent concerts AND Axl on that vest looks like Vin Diesel on those viral 2015 photos that showed the guy smoking on a roof. It's so awkward. Although he's clearly happy wearing it so good for him for having such confidence. It's just a very bad outfit choice imo. 

• Like 1