08/29/23 - Charlotte, NC - Spectrum Center

downzy

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Bad Obsession, Chinese Democracy, Slither, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Pretty Tied Up, Rumble/Welcome To The Jungle, Double Talkin’ Jive, Hard Skool, Estranged, Reckless Life, Absurd, Reckless Life, Rocket Queen, Down On The Farm, Perhaps, You Could Be Mine, T.V. Eye, Anything Goes, Civil War/(Voodoo Child), Band Introductions, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O’ Mine, November Rain, Only Women Bleed/Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, Nightrain
Encore: People Get Ready/Coma, Patience, Paradise City

source: HTGTH

5 hours ago, LlamaRenegade said:

I also noticed when they played Perhaps that Axl only sang the "all alone" lines in the chorus and let Duff sing the alternating lines. I think that's an improvement because Axl seems to struggle and get out of breath trying to sing all the lines himself.

This! when I first heard the single tought that they were going to play it this way, but instead was full Axl. Now it makes more sense for Duff doing the backing vocals, otherwise uncle Ax goes out of steam

4 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

3 Pages:American fans are not hyped?

I think this tour is great, I just already saw my show and I doubt The General will be played for at least another month

They aren’t like a Zeppelin where every show is different even with the same songs. Slash and Richard are pretty good about playing the songs the same

• Like 1

Review (harsh on Axl's voice - and the sound mix):

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article278722079.html

There's a comment at setlist.fm from someone who apparently attended saying that the mix was really bad (the drums were barely audible until halfway through the show, the piano on NR was very low, etc.)

• Like 1

The show wasn’t horrible. The crowd stayed in it the whole night which was nice. The sound criticisms are all the way warranted though.. It’s So Easy came out with Axl on 11 and then the sound was off the rest of the night. I honestly thought they were experimenting with turning Axl down at parts they knew he couldn’t hit. 

I’m probably being picky, but the set list was pretty average. There were no cool changeups and I reckon I’m destined to never get Locomotive live. Hearing Bad Obsession and PTU was sweet though. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article278722079.html

There's a comment at setlist.fm from someone who apparently attended saying that the mix was really bad (the drums were barely audible until halfway through the show, the piano on NR was very low, etc.)

Gotta say this review is basically where I’m at. Still thrills but the cutting in and out of Axl’s voice is unfortunate. 

• Like 1

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

Gotta say this review is basically where I’m at. Still thrills but the cutting in and out of Axl’s voice is unfortunate. 

Also the band may want to consider letting in news photographers to these shows. Otherwise they’ll use 2019 photos of Axl like they did in that review. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I wasn't there, but the review in itself seems pretty fair. The author isn't taking the piss and clearly likes the band, but he also addresses the elephant in the room: It might be time to retire from touring after this tour. I agree.

• PERHAPS 2

4 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I wasn't there, but the review in itself seems pretty fair. The author isn't taking the piss and clearly likes the band, but he also addresses the elephant in the room: It might be time to retire from touring after this tour. I agree.

I think retiring is extreme, but I would say don’t tour again until you’ve got a new album and have overhauled the set list/singing strategy to songs that can sound good live. Not just parts of songs, the whole song should be able to sound good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Was just about to post this. I think the reviewer is spot on. 

A snippet of Perhaps is up on YT

The chorus now sounds way better than before, but they should turn up Duff's mic in the mix for that part or have Melissa sing it as well

One worrying thing about the verse, is that he was out of tune (using the mickey, falsetto)  during a lot of the lines, it was almost unsustainable... imagine he starts losing range on that too, can he lose the falsetto too? i just heard Download 2018 and the mickey sounded more powerful, oh man that'll be the beginning of the end for sure, i hope he was just out of breath

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Unfortunately what is pointed out in the review is more or less what I have heard in the videos I have watched from this tour (I'm sure it's much better when you're there as a fan having the opportunity to hear some cool deep cuts - and casual fans are also having a good time for the most part being able to sing along to the hits).

The one thing I strongly disagree with the reviewer is his assessment that Axl is phoning it and his facial expressions are just an "act". I think he's really pushing and trying. There are also songs in the set that still sounds good on (the ones he uses his lower register), and he can sound better on other songs as well if he adjusts his delivery, so I wouldn't go as far to say that he should retire.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ChristianGNR said:

Just listened to the “new” perhaps chorus and even that I didn’t have any problem with the way Axl sang in the first shows, I think it works better this way

I don't think it sounded good at all! Maybe it would work if Melissa sang Axls missing line with Duff, but Axl needs to sing the last "all alone" otherwise it sounds empty... Don't record a main vocal if you can't replicate live... Especially when it's your brand new single 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The one thing I strongly disagree with the reviewer is his assessment that Axl is phoning it and his facial expressions are just an "act". I think he's really pushing and trying. There are also songs in the set that still sounds good on (the ones he uses his lower register), and he can sound better on other songs as well if he adjusts his delivery, so I wouldn't go as far to say that he should retire.

He shows facial expressions on notes and techniques any seasoned singer could do by sheer muscle memory without much effort. So either he's physically no longer able to do it well anymore due to age and exhaustion from traveling and doing long shows, which points towards him trying really hard. Or he indeed does act for a good bit to disguise how much of a struggle it really is for him. Maybe both of that could be true to some extend.

I cut him slack for deep cuts he didn't do in years or new songs like Perhaps that might need some stage time to fully arrive (even though an arrangement should stand and be safe the minute the walk out as anything else is just totally unprofessional given their ticket prices), but on stuff he does night after night there is absolutely no other explanation or excuse for that.

I don't want him to retire, I still enjoy his performances and I respect him a lot for not lip syncing, but all signs point towards him running on empty. Maybe a shorter set and proper alternate arrangements could help, but at this point they are clearly beyond even considering that and just too proud and as stuck in their own ways as their casual fans. A little bit of Duff and some Melissa there doesn't help much. They need to re-arrange entire songs in order for it to sound great again, but that would require some serious effort. Think a slow blues version of YCBM or Nightrain for example (like the Lies version of You're Crazy compared to the AFD version), it's possible and would sound absolutely amazing. But no - it has to be like it always was. Until it can no more.

• Like 1