Can we use AI to generate new GNR vocals/songs?

I've been following the developments of AI for the past few years and it feels we're at a tipping point for its use and the arts.

Have a look at this video:

This got me thinking about the possibility of some very astute engineers and anyone with the least bit of proficiency with AI to make music in the style of any artist they like.  

While there are some really great Axl impersonators, with the advent of AI, all you have to do with write a song and have AI convert it into Axl singing and/or Slash playing. 

I'm not really sure artists will be able to do much to stop it under current copyright law.  Impersonation is largely permitted under law.  It will be interesting to see how the legal system handles the advent of AI.  I'm not sure current laws are capable of tackling the current tsumami of AI created works that sound almost identical to our favourite artists.

I guess the good news is that for GNR fans the wait for "new" GNR sounding music isn't far away.  I've always felt that Axl's vocals could take a decent song and make it a great one.  Imagine having the ability to have Axl sing your song or Slash perform your guitar solo.

Not great for the artists who like to control their likeness, but possibly great for anyone who wants to create their own music in the style of their favourite artist.

Imagine hearing Axl singing the entire Zeppelin or Stones catalogue...

That's what's coming and way more.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A lot of others might not agree with my stance. But I find it neat for the exclusive fun for fan made stuff. Like if someone wanted to take Chinese democracy multitracks and use those to make it sound like Axls singing velvet revolver songs for example. I do feel like it could create an issue if for example someone made vocals for the Village leaks. 

But in the same instance. I’d be dead set against AI being used by musicians to phone it in as “new music”. The moment musicians start doing that it’s only a matter of time before dead musicians start releasing new albums.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Sure, I’d be down to listen to it. Better than nothing, at this point.

Dont we already have a thread for this, btw?

You're right...  I missed it.  Merging with the previous thread.

• Like 1

People already come to concerts where the singer is a hologram and isn't even a real person singing (Hatsune Miku).

(the backing band are real people though)

And there already has been a hologram Ronnie James Dio concert.

Spoiler

both videos are uploads by the official channels who own the copyright

Depending on how technology advances, 50 years in the future, Guns N Roses could all be dead, yet their holograms and AI impersonators could still be holding concerts and releasing albums... (or maybe randos on the internet will make their own bootleg AI GnR members and albums ) And people could go to these hologram concerts like they're going to the movies. Or maybe by then, the AI controlling the holograms could generate a spontaneous performance and react to the audience.

I wonder what the GnR people think about the potential AI mimics spawning. Or if they're inclined to participate into making digital ghosts of themselves.

"License to use the official AIxl Rose: $1000 per song plus 30% royalties!"

Paul McCartney deepfaked his young self into a music video.

It's kind of fun, but weird at the same time. We've got another Paul but he's not the current Paul!

I wonder if the AI potentials spook Axl a bit. The idea that there can be another alternate version of you, one that can sound forever young and strong, an entity that doesn't have to worry about personal problems affecting itself or other people or the brand, one that receives no jokes about being Mickey Mouse and is adored by people. But the real Axl will grow old and die, and these machine copies of him, they will continue singing.

And there's a Rolling Stone article that talks about mimicking Nirvana and other people:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/nirvana-kurt-cobain-ai-song-1146444/

so the GnR people that play instruments can be copied as well

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Sad 2

Ok so I've went down an AI Voice Cloning rabbit hole and found this: FakeYou | Premium Deep Fake TTS

Users can make their own custom voice using audio samples if you get the paid plan (which is not that expensive) and from some of the vocalists it already has, it sounds pretty good. This is something that we can do NOW and get results with, so if someone can subscribe to their plan and play around with it please share your findings!

Example: Chester Bennington (singing a lyric from There Was a Time) AI Test: http://www.sndup.net/t7cc

• Thanks 1

For Instruments, there are talented people for sure in the community that could put together some Guitar tracks, Drums can be midi, could clip out individual drum samples from the Chinese Democracy isolated drum tracks.

Or we could just use the Village instrumentals.

Edited by Skamos66
added suggestion

On 3/31/2023 at 3:00 PM, downzy said:

I've been following the developments of AI for the past few years and it feels we're at a tipping point for its use and the arts.

Have a look at this video:

I'm not really sure artists will be able to do much to stop it under current copyright law.  Impersonation is largely permitted under law.  It will be interesting to see how the legal system handles the advent of AI.  I'm not sure current laws are capable of tackling the current tsumami of AI created works that sound almost identical to our favourite artists.

For the artists who worked blood , sweat , tears for their names  & legacy,  i think it is an insult and a damn shame. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Imagine adding 1999-2006 style Axl vocals to the hundreds of Buckethead albums.

CD2-CD300+ :P 

It can be done if people put the effort and time into it.

Also, I didn't like the Idea of AI music in the beginning, but the possibilities outweigh the consequences I'd say.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WendiRosei said:

Skamos66 do you know how much damage that can do to legacys ?....  Scary that it is just a test.  Think in 30 years .

There needs to be some well-defined laws implemented for AI for sure.

What is even scarier though, governments could start to use voice deepfakes to manipulate the public, spread false information, and possibly encite wars.

People need to be responsible and keep this voice AI thing to unofficial creative projects and not use it for negative purposes, but its 2023 so Morals aren't exactly that common anymore sadly.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Skamos66 said:

There needs to be some well-defined laws implemented for AI for sure.

What is even scarier though, governments could start to use voice deepfakes to manipulate the public, spread false information, and possibly encite wars.

People need to be responsible and keep this voice AI thing to unofficial creative projects and not use it for negative purposes, but its 2023 so Morals aren't exactly that common anymore sadly.

Jesus Christ! your words hit me like a bolt from the blue then . this is ....exactly it. You are beyond right Skamos66 .  You have me thinking WW4 will be  caused by AI ...

3 minutes ago, WendiRosei said:

Jesus Christ! your words hit me like a bolt from the blue then . this is ....exactly it. You are beyond right Skamos66 .  You have me thinking WW4 will be  caused by AI ...

There hasn’t even been a third world war yet! 😅 and if there ever was, there would be no one around for a fourth so AI can suck it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, D4NNY said:

There hasn’t even been a third world war yet! 😅 and if there ever was, there would be no one around for a fourth so AI can suck it

AI can indeed suck it. In spades. ha I hope AI does not slowly take over humanity, startin with our artists , you know....Okay , okay too much T2 right ? lol :shades:

The possibilities are endless D4NNY ..

• Haha 1

I don't expect to die, honestly. I bet in my lifetime AI is going to be used to automate all human functions indefinitely and we are all going to be connected to a machine, which allows us to live in an actual digital alternate reality where you can be anything you want and society will no long take place physically but it will take place electronically. 

1 minute ago, Skamos66 said:

I don't expect to die, honestly. I bet in my lifetime AI is going to be used to automate all human functions indefinitely and we are all going to be connected to a machine, which allows us to live in an actual digital alternate reality where you can be anything you want and society will no long take place physically but it will take place electronically. 

image.gif.9faea1e2ebefb5490872769207c4159d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Skamos66 said:

I want to hide from your words of worrisome wisdom right now.  So...they are staring with the soul of a person which is music and rhythm ripe that out . ..and kill  the emotions... then plan to wipe out humanity with this technology slowly starting with art because art is life..

In the future you will be able to time travel in your own personal simulation, AI generating the world you choose to be in and through your digital existence you are able to control your life and everything in your simulation, I think battles over freedom of simulation is going to be a thing.

12 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

image.gif.9faea1e2ebefb5490872769207c4159d.gif

YOU are just loving this D4NNY look at you in the matrix lol

:P

9736b5df6787ee9f0f7dd5f06257ab63.jpg

1 minute ago, Skamos66 said:

In the future you will be able to time travel in your own personal simulation, AI generating the world you choose to be in and through your digital existence you are able to control your life and everything in your simulation, I think battles over freedom of simulation is going to be a thing.

I'm running away now You are way too cut throat , cute... and real !! lol 

• Haha 1