"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

12 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

No, the person I asked was Tom Mayhue, Axl's road manager.  He's the guy that went viral a few months ago for saying that there will be new music soon.

I didn't wanna bombard him with questions so I just asked him if he's heard it and if it's any good, and his answer was "yes."

That really would of been a newsflash if he turned to ya and went, "Nah, it's Shite!" ....wait, is Axl nearby? RUN!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Sweersa said:

My understanding is by 2008, they had two albums worth of completed material, and the quality and type of material between the two albums was similar. The follow-up (CD2) was planned for 2009, Axl himself stated this in the chats. 

So in other words, the 2008 album was a sampler of the overall 30(ish) songs that were ready at that time. 

There never was a complete follow up. What we're getting now are the few remaining tracks with vocals. 

Unless you really think Zodiac, Quick Song etc are sat there complete with vocals just waiting to come out. Musically yes, probably dozens of songs. Vocally, we're at the end after the General, Soul Monster and Atlas. 

I love to think of there being all these complete songs with vocals, I really do, don't get me wrong. Just deep down do you really believe there's a huge selection finished and has been for the last 15 years? Sorry to channel Pele but I think he was pretty spot on with the reality of it all. 

When I heard Hard Skool with the recycled 'heys' from Eye on You my heart sank and it became apparent they had so little vocal to work with that they needed to copy and paste heys... And yet some people think we're gonna be hearing Tonto or Moustache or Beta's Barn with vocals....

• Like 1

Noticing that stuff is weird doesn't automatically indicate a "conspiracy."

It IS weird, isn't it?

He had no problem just going in and belting out three tunes with Bach on a whim one day.  He obviously recorded Rock the Rock without even writing it.  But we don't have any confirmation of NEW vocals recorded for a GNR project since...2007 or so?  Maybe the This I Love remix?

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy.  You're the one throwing that word around.  (Which is kind of ironic, cause that was the official name of GNR's fan club in the 80s.)

I used to swear up and down to anyone that would (or wouldn't) listen that there was NO WAY there were any unheard songs in the "vault."  It was all an urban legend.  I was convinced based on the actual evidence we had for over a decade that there were MAYBE, maaaaybe two or three unheard songs with vocals.  I was sure of it.  There simply was no other reason to believe otherwise, and I sure as hell didn't take people like Beta's word for it.

Then the 2019 locker leaks made a liar out of me.  I was proven 1000% wrong.  And I've never been so thrilled to be wrong!  I couldn't fucking believe there really actually were songs with vocals out there we never had even the slightest CLUE about!

So now, I don't try to make any sweeping statements about shit I can't prove.  The only thing that is constant about this band (and Axl especially) is just when you think you've got it figured out, the fucker completely surprises you.

I do find it very odd about the serious lack of new vocals for GNR releases though.  I'm not saying they don't exist.  But its sure strange that none have been released.  Until we see some evidence, I can't say anything conclusive.  But I surely don't think it's unreasonable to come to the conclusion that he seems to have some hang-up about it until he proves otherwise.

It's quite a stretch to call that guy a flat-earther for noticing the distinct pattern that's been going on.  Hopefully in time we can all find out the truth one way or the other.

I agree with the above and can see it from both sides. But it's the idea that he has at least another 10 songs sat there finished ready to go. The stuff we've got that batches the finished tracks on the discs, aside from the General is very telling. And it'll be Atlas next, not Zodiac, not Quick Song etc. 

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

Noticing that stuff is weird doesn't automatically indicate a "conspiracy."

It IS weird, isn't it?

Nobody is saying that GNR isn't a strange band. But there's no need for these weird conspiracy theories when there are much more sensible explanations for everything.

Saying that Axl hasn't recorded vocals for GNR since 1999 is a conspiracy theory because it goes against logic and everything that the band members have said themselves. Believing in Pele's theory requires believing in the notion that everyone associated with Guns N' Roses are lying to the public, concealing the fact that Axl has not recorded anything since 1999. That is a conspiracy theory.

You can come up with tons of much more sensible explanations for why GNR hasn't released music in years. One very simple explanation would be that Axl is simply very self-critical when it comes to his own music. We know that he had no problems recording vocals for Rock The Rock and Sebastian Bach's album so it would be absurd to think that he hasn't recorded vocals for GNR throughout these years. There's most likely tons of vocals recorded for GNR. But the question is how much of those vocals Axl is satisfied with. Axl might be tinkering with the lyrics year after year.

So the logical question is not whether or not there's songs with vocals. The logical question is, how many songs have vocals that Axl is satisfied with. 

Based on everything that the band members have said, there's very likely at least one album worth of material with vocals. Most likely Axl has recorded much more vocals than that, but there's probably tons of lyrics and vocals that he isn't all that satisfied with.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Nobody is saying that GNR isn't a strange band. But there's no need for these weird conspiracy theories when there are much more sensible explanations for everything.

Saying that Axl hasn't recorded vocals for GNR since 1999 is a conspiracy theory because it goes against logic and everything that the band members have said themselves. Believing in Pele's theory requires believing in the notion that everyone associated with Guns N' Roses are lying to the public, concealing the fact that Axl has not recorded anything since 1999. That is a conspiracy theory.

You can come up with tons of much more sensible explanations for why GNR hasn't released music in years. One very simple explanation would be that Axl is simply very self-critical when it comes to his own music. We know that he had no problems recording vocals for Rock The Rock and Sebastian Bach's album so it would be absurd to think that he hasn't recorded vocals for GNR throughout these years. There's most likely tons of vocals recorded for GNR. But the question is how much of those vocals Axl is satisfied with. Axl might be tinkering with the lyrics year after year.

So the logical question is not whether or not there's songs with vocals. The logical question is, how many songs have vocals that Axl is satisfied with. 

Based on everything that the band members have said, there's very likely at least one album worth of material with vocals. Most likely Axl has recorded much more vocals than that, but there's probably tons of lyrics and vocals that he isn't all that satisfied with.

We know he recorded vocals at least as recently as 2007/8 based on Axl's chats in December 2008. Shackler's Revenge is related to the Virginia Tech shooting which happened in April 2007. How much got recorded in 2007/8, who knows? Maybe it was just Shackler's Revenge.

35 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I don't get it. Sebastian Bach explicitly mentioned the song had vocals. You guys are so desperate, chill. It's like every second without the song, you die a little and descend into madness or something.

Are people still saying it will be an instrumental? I haven't see anyone say that since the start of this thread?

• Like 1

I don’t think the “Heys” from Eye on You are an indication one way or another about the amount of songs in the vault or if Axl recorded more vocals. I think with these sessions the intention was to always cherry pick the best “elements” from songs to form complete songs. Sort of like a hip hop recording session. As someone else has said Hard Skool could’ve got the Heys in 2004. 

What im curious about with the General is if the old tour intro is fully a part of the song or not. A 7” record usually doesn’t hold more than 6 minutes of music (it’s possible, Springsteen has a 10 minute song, but I’m not expecting a ton of format maximizing efforts from GnR.) I wouldn’t be surprised if that tour intro was one of those “elements” repurposed from a previous version of the General.

5 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I don’t think the “Heys” from Eye on You are an indication one way or another about the amount of songs in the vault or if Axl recorded more vocals. I think with these sessions the intention was to always cherry pick the best “elements” from songs to form complete songs. Sort of like a hip hop recording session. As someone else has said Hard Skool could’ve got the Heys in 2004. 

What im curious about with the General is if the old tour intro is fully a part of the song or not. A 7” record usually doesn’t hold more than 6 minutes of music (it’s possible, Springsteen has a 10 minute song, but I’m not expecting a ton of format maximizing efforts from GnR.) I wouldn’t be surprised if that tour intro was one of those “elements” repurposed from a previous version of the General.

I took it as more of an Easter egg for the locker leak people. The ones who know. And probably because eye on you will never be used 

1 hour ago, Grayfox said:

I took it as more of an Easter egg for the locker leak people. The ones who know. And probably because eye on you will never be used 

If Eye On You got a proper mix and Buckethead leads with a killer solo, it would be a decent A or B list song.

Maybe it will be the B side to Atlas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, metalavenger99 said:

So what’s the deal now with the -no digital release, ever- thing??? Are we even sure it’s gonna be up on streaming by the 27th?

I’m not trolling lol, i was out of the loop for some time

We're not sure. I'm still worried about that, as I had no interest in buying the vinyl. 

I think it's a good sign that Universal Italy deleted the mention that the song would be a physical release only, though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

If Eye On You got a proper mix and Buckethead leads with a killer solo, it would be a decent A or B list song.

Maybe it will be the B side to Atlas. 

Maybe they replace the hey heys and the macdaddy part with other verses and music. Since more than 15 years there were a lot of things that could change

20 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

We're not sure. I'm still worried about that, as I had no interest in buying the vinyl. 

I think it's a good sign that Universal Italy deleted the mention that the song would be a physical release only, though. 

Man i was hoping for digital release with live debut tomorrow night in Edmonton but i think slim to none chance of that happening now

• Like 1