Leaks seem to diminish appreciation of final versions

I've never understood the these are old songs don't rework them argument, it's no different than any band member coming up with something on their own and then showing the rest of the band a few months later. Maybe they need to present the song in the most stripped back form to slash duff etc so they don't get stuck rerecording the same stuff with a similar solo

• Like 1

I know leaks aren't technically the most morally upstanding thing inherently but they are just part of the nature of the beast - if GNR wants to sit on material for 20 years they are also taking a risk that maybe in that time some stuff may leak early.  

While I agree that it does create a familarity bias with parts we come to get so used to, I can't blame the fans for wanting to download leaks and naturally getting used to how they sound

That said I do find it funny how Robin's Perhaps solo is now being highly regarded, to me it sounds like a placeholder solo and even if Slash's solo is far from Estranged level epicness, at least it does sound thought out with the double tracking and following the progreesion with the licks at the end of it

• Like 3

I agree. 

the demo for Chinese democracy was super cool and then they added way too much noodling at the end. Same with Hardskool- had a better demo. 

Perhaps is better than its demo and same with IRS (never really liked the demo but I love the finally version of that one- probably one of my favorite songs off the album) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beardedranga said:

I've never understood the these are old songs don't rework them argument, it's no different than any band member coming up with something on their own and then showing the rest of the band a few months later. Maybe they need to present the song in the most stripped back form to slash duff etc so they don't get stuck rerecording the same stuff with a similar solo

How is it “no different”? The songs are nearly 25 years old and have vocals and other instruments on them that were recorded back then.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

Honestly, its not our right to hear a ‘leak‘ therefore its not fair on the band to compare.

However, in GNR land without leaks we probably wouldn’t have releases… So take that for what it is.

Perhaps...or maybe because of all the leaks we miss out on official.....

Riddle you that....who the fuck knows though!

14 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

How is it “no different”? The songs are nearly 25 years old and have vocals and other instruments on them that were recorded back then.

The difference is that you have heard it, if you never heard it then it would just be a song that was written previously being re worked. The fact they keep so close to the demo versions without changing much bar the solo's doesn't help though tbf

On 8/22/2023 at 2:48 PM, alfa75 said:

Is it just me or are so many people attached to leaked versions of songs that it sort of ruins the experience of finally hearing the released versions. 

Since I can remember, there has always been a vocal contingent complaining about most CD leaked tracks compared to the ones on CD, esp. Catcher/IRS/SOD and others and now an equally vocal contingent with Absurd/HS/Perhaps. I am personally convinced these songs would be far less criticised and enjoyed if only the final releases were heard. 

I hear a lot of people bagging on the Slash solo of Perhaps, but a lot of that IMO, is that they got attached to the Finck solo, same with BBF and the Brain May solo in Catcher. 

Equally detrimental aspect of the leaks is that all the songs they are releasing are "Chinese Leftovers" as if that is relevant.  A good song is a good song, regardless of its origins. I think if Perhaps didn't have that baggage, it would be far more appreciated as what it is, a proper GNR song, which should be determined by the quality and sound, not it's creation history.

It's the exact same phenomenon that hampered people's inability to listen objectively to CD. The back story and bitterness about certain personnel not being part of it coloured negatively people's perception and not even giving the music a proper and open minded listen before evaluating it.

I listen to every music objectively, but I can't help feeling certain parts in CD era songs better than others. Almost all of the leaks, demos or whatever you wanna call them sound and feel better to my ears and to my soul. Would that be any different if I had not heard the demos? No. I would probably wonder what was lost along the way to get that shit done, only to end up preferring live versions.

But then again I'm a picky bitch. I never listen to The Blues/Street Of Dreams in any other version than Pittsburgh 2002. I wasn't even at that show. It's just that, in my personal opinion, that's the best version of the many ones I heard. Never heard a demo of it, but I think they should have called it a day right there regarding that song. Listened to the album version and wanted to strangle Axl with my bare hands for putting all that extra shit on there and taking out the edge and essentially the soul of that song. That happens with a lot of music for me. Some artists I have a ton of bootlegs of but not a single studio recording because studio hardly ever resonates with me. That is for rock music, mostly. I like some nice Pro Tools shit for trip hop and electronica, but not for rock music. For me that's like trying to fry eggs in a coffee machine. Get your instrument, play the part and if you don't like it do it again until you get it right for you. But do not ever cut and paste to get the perfect "product" or you might end up having just that, a product.

Seems like Axl is just too much in his head and he wants to please the whole world, musicians having their presence felt, fans here, critics there, family, business, himself. Pleasing people doesn't have shit to do with perfectionism. Where there is no trust for the sun to shine or the rain to fall, the harvest will be underwhelming and the food will be lacking in nutrients, having no flavor, no soul. It might look nice, be plenty and even fill ya up, but sometimes, I don't know, maybe less is more. Same goes for my post lol. But I hope it makes some sense anyway.

I don't have this same problem when I go back and listen to the early AFD demos, where I almost invariably find the final release to be better. With the CD and beyond era, they are genuinely making most of the songs worse (or two steps forward, three steps back) with all the re-recording and over-tinkering in production. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

I love it all.  But I also love to see where things start and stop. I’ll listen to all versions.  It’s interesting to me.  I wish more bands would release more of their demo versions 

I love the Super Deluxe edition of Rumours, hearing early versions of tracks like Planets of the Universe that wouldn’t come out until years later (with very 2001 production).