Hammerstein May 12, 2006

So, I was there (and what an amazing show and comeback.) We got the 3 ChiDem songs from 2001-2002 shows, and we got 3 debuts (Better, TWAT, IRS.) But I noticed after that show, there’d normally be less of those “new” songs, as they relied more on Appetite like in 2002. 
Anyone have an idea why that was the case, in a year that was initially meant to promote the release of the album? 
I’m asking cause I was happy as hell that night, and hearing almost half the album live, to me it was a sign back then like, ok the band’s evolving, moving on, and we’re gonna move into this new era of songs (which never happened, and I don’t think 6 ChiDem songs were played at a single show the rest of that run, and maybe not again til the end of 2009.)

Don’t get me wrong, I love My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me, Think about You, but when they’d start at a show, I’d kinda roll my eyes inside and think, cmon man. Let’s move on and get some more of that new stuff. 

9 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Those NYC shows was NewGNR at its prime. The best shows of the era without doubt. It's a pity we never got any proshot.

Do you recall if there was any professional team recording those? 

Rock in Lisboa and rock am ring were filmed a few weeks later. That's as close as we will get. 

Some pro clips from Hammerstein made it on to an unreleased documentry and parts of the Better video maybe

Edited by Axl_morris

32 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Rock in Lisboa and rock am ring were filmed a few weeks later. That's as close as we will get. 

Some pro clips from Hammerstein made it on to an unreleased documentry and parts of the Better video maybe

unreleased documentary ... is that out there? never heard of such thing.

47 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Those NYC shows was NewGNR at its prime. The best shows of the era without doubt. It's a pity we never got any proshot.

Not that I’m aware, but I was watching some of the bootleg earlier. 

10 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

So, I was there (and what an amazing show and comeback.) We got the 3 ChiDem songs from 2001-2002 shows, and we got 3 debuts (Better, TWAT, IRS.) But I noticed after that show, there’d normally be less of those “new” songs, as they relied more on Appetite like in 2002. 
Anyone have an idea why that was the case, in a year that was initially meant to promote the release of the album? 
I’m asking cause I was happy as hell that night, and hearing almost half the album live, to me it was a sign back then like, ok the band’s evolving, moving on, and we’re gonna move into this new era of songs (which never happened, and I don’t think 6 ChiDem songs were played at a single show the rest of that run, and maybe not again til the end of 2009.)

Don’t get me wrong, I love My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me, Think about You, but when they’d start at a show, I’d kinda roll my eyes inside and think, cmon man. Let’s move on and get some more of that new stuff. 

The exact same thing happened in 2009/2010.

FINALLY, the damn album is actually OUT and they're now free to play as much of CD as they want and not have to rely on AFD standards.

In Japan 2009, they kick it off by playing 13 of the 14 CD songs in one show, which has never been done again.

In 2010 in Canada, most of the CD songs are kept in rotation, including things that would eventually become rare like TWAT and Scraped and ITW.

After a few months.....phased out.  Just back to the AFD greatest hits shows that started in 2002.

I guess it all comes down to Axl's mood and what he feels comfortable with.  I can't imagine why he feels the need to play the "standards" every single fucking show, every time, but he does.

Of all the shows I've attended between 2002 and 2023, the following 12 songs were played at every single show.

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

Live and Let Die

You Could Be Mine

Rocket Queen

Sweet Child O' Mine

November Rain

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Nightrain

Paradise City

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I get that every GNR show is someone's very first GNR show and they'd be disappointed if they didn't get to do that fucking sing along to KOHD.  And at least Live and Let Die is a fairly short song.

But for fuck's sake....Rocket Queen??  At EVERY show?  Chinese Democracy, a song that landed with one of the biggest "thuds" in music history?  Nobody would give a shit if that was dropped.

You Could Be Mine was a big hit over 30 years ago, but I don't think anyone would miss it these days.

SCOM/Jungle/PC....November Rain......and even arguably KOHD (even though I hate it these days).......those are the essentials.  Those songs are there for casuals and first timers.  They can seriously CUT the rest and I don't think anyone would mind, especially not the fans that have seen them multiple times over the years.  Sheeesh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

That whole year was golden, I love going back and watching anything from that tour. What a shame that band didn’t last longer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

The exact same thing happened in 2009/2010.

FINALLY, the damn album is actually OUT and they're now free to play as much of CD as they want and not have to rely on AFD standards.

In Japan 2009, they kick it off by playing 13 of the 14 CD songs in one show, which has never been done again.

In 2010 in Canada, most of the CD songs are kept in rotation, including things that would eventually become rare like TWAT and Scraped and ITW.

After a few months.....phased out.  Just back to the AFD greatest hits shows that started in 2002.

I guess it all comes down to Axl's mood and what he feels comfortable with.  I can't imagine why he feels the need to play the "standards" every single fucking show, every time, but he does.

Of all the shows I've attended between 2002 and 2023, the following 12 songs were played at every single show.

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

Live and Let Die

You Could Be Mine

Rocket Queen

Sweet Child O' Mine

November Rain

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Nightrain

Paradise City

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I get that every GNR show is someone's very first GNR show and they'd be disappointed if they didn't get to do that fucking sing along to KOHD.  And at least Live and Let Die is a fairly short song.

But for fuck's sake....Rocket Queen??  At EVERY show?  Chinese Democracy, a song that landed with one of the biggest "thuds" in music history?  Nobody would give a shit if that was dropped.

You Could Be Mine was a big hit over 30 years ago, but I don't think anyone would miss it these days.

SCOM/Jungle/PC....November Rain......and even arguably KOHD (even though I hate it these days).......those are the essentials.  Those songs are there for casuals and first timers.  They can seriously CUT the rest and I don't think anyone would mind, especially not the fans that have seen them multiple times over the years.  Sheeesh.

You have to play the standards and the hits.  And it’s not like they have a large body of work to even choose from

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

Didn't a couple full songs eventually get posted online? There was a LALD video that I think was from this show, and Welcome To The Bumble... I haven't seen either in ages though. They were technically pro shot but not the kind of videos that are shown on the screens...

1 hour ago, Jwalker19 said:

This is so wild to me because I just bought a bootleg DVD of this show at the end of last month and it literally just arrived yesterday. 😂

Enjoy! While it may not “technically” be the best GNR show I’ve seen from 2006-now, the atmosphere was insane, excited and tense. And to see that version of the band perform, and to be there for the debut of 3 more new ChiDem tracks? There was a lotta hope in the air for the future, the IMMEDIATE future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Enjoy! While it may not “technically” be the best GNR show I’ve seen from 2006-now, the atmosphere was insane, excited and tense. And to see that version of the band perform, and to be there for the debut of 3 more new ChiDem tracks? There was a lotta hope in the air for the future, the IMMEDIATE future. 

Thank you! I'm going to review it on my YouTube channel after I watch it. I'm jealous you were there and got to see that lineup!

• ABSUЯD 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:09 AM, JAxlMorrison said:

I recall in '06 Axl saying that "this fall" the album will be released. I think it was supposed to do these gigs and then drop the album, but we know what happened. Also he added new vocals during this period to complete the album, you can clearly notice in CD where he sings clean (99-01 vocals, i.e Rihad, catcher, twat, postitute, etc)) and the ones with rasp (06-07 vocals i.e. some parts of if the world, SOD, IRS, Better, etc).

14 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

I recall in '06 Axl saying that "this fall" the album will be released. I think it was supposed to do these gigs and then drop the album, but we know what happened. Also he added new vocals during this period to complete the album, you can clearly notice in CD where he sings clean (99-01 vocals, i.e Rihad, catcher, twat, postitute, etc)) and the ones with rasp (06-07 vocals i.e. some parts of if the world, SOD, IRS, Better, etc).

ITW, SOD and IRS were all recorded, vocally in 99. Apart from the ending of SOD. Better from 2002/2003

I always say 2006 was the last time they could have put CD out and it have been a genuine hit. Better too. They were on fire, Axl on absolute peak form. Better was even getting radio play. Just needed a video and a release with maybe a live track. 

And they blew it, just to add Bumbles parts which were one part too many and Frank, completely unnecessary. 

Edited by rumandraisin
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

Yes, but they have new vocals on some parts after that period. Just listen, they sound different, with 06/07 voice

I don’t think if the world could’ve been done in ‘99. Before Bucket joined? That wouldn’t make sense, it was a Bucket song wasn’t it?

4 minutes ago, Liva said:

Side Note - Ive been on these forums since probably 2002/2003 maybe earlier?  Every era of Axl, in the moment other than maybe Axl/DC, people on here say how Axl isn't as good as (insert era here) and he doesn't look as good as (insert era here).  When he had the braids, people generally disliked it, and in 2006 people generally disliked his voice very much other than a few songs at Rock Am Ring 2006 which people said was a glimpse of old Axl.  Its just funny to see in 2012, and 2016, and 2023 how people wish they had 2006 Axl, when at the time, no one wanted 2006 Axl.   In 2016/2017 when he was growing his hair or wearing too many hats, people wanted him back in braids cause "he looked badass in braids".  At the time, people HATED that look and would say he looked like Predator, its fake hair, its yarn, its extensions.  

True. It's kinda funny to see.

Same with how guys like Robin and Bucket were hated and laughed about back then.

• Like 1