Musical influence monsters and the general?

9 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

The General sounds a bit like Portishead, especially Dummy.

If you've never heard them, here's one of the songs from the album:

If you like it, download/stream the rest.

Wow my thoughts... Portishead. In addition, I might sound crazy, but The General's orchestra reminded me of Björk's Joga on first listen!

57 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

For sure, as soon as I heard The General, 90s trip-hop immediately came to mind.  Something also not outside the realm of like, Massive Attack and Tricky as well - the drum machine groove with the sitar samples to me could have easily gone more trip-hop than rock if it wasn't for the chorus of the song featuring the heavier guitars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

Before commenting I wanted to scroll through them to see if anyone else had mentioned Portishead. The General sounds exactly as Portishead. Especially the vocal melody and how Axl sings the song. Despite the similarities, I LOVE the General! Just hoping the sound quality and the mix will be better than on the leak.

Edited by G O A T

I was completely oblivious to the Satan laughing crossover from War Pigs - suppose that is further fuel to the fire if anyone is still on the fence about Monsters not being the same song as Soul Monster/Leave Me Alone etc etc.

I've not listened to The General all that much, maybe a handful of times, but Monsters has been played regularly whenever I've been on the go. I think it's one of the best songs in the GNR catalogue and the bass line is top drawer - I'd have loved to have heard Tommy's efforts to see how they compare, as you can bet it'd have been every bit as good, but even still, delighted that a song of this standard is going to be gracing us officially at some point.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:13 PM, CaioAKR said:

I still hear "Satan laughing", but it could go either way, I suppose. Even if it's "satanic", it's so close to War Pigs' lyrics I can't help but wonder it's intentional, which would be cool.

Sounds like "sainted laughing" to me. 

2 hours ago, MarcoM said:

I've always thought instrumental of The General was inspired by opening theme from the Roman Polanski's movie "The Ninth Gate". Movie was released in 1999, so about the time they were working on Chinese Democracy.

Wouldn't surprise me if they used this as inspiration. Obviously it's slightly different key but the melody sounds almost lifted straight into soul monster/general

2 hours ago, MarcoM said:

I've always thought instrumental of The General was inspired by opening theme from the Roman Polanski's movie "The Ninth Gate". Movie was released in 1999, so about the time they were working on Chinese Democracy.

If he took inspiration for a song on abuse from a Roman Polanski movie score, then that is meta on a whole other level.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

To me the general sounds like a song from Korn coming off issues or maybe take a look in the mirror, specially the verse and pre-chorus while the verse kind of sounds like muse, it reminds me of songs like micro cuts.