Musical influence monsters and the general?

I don’t see s lot of Sabbath influence, quite frankly. Not in The General, not in Monsters. Yes, technically everyone that plays hard rock or metal has, is some level, Sabbath influences, but I’d say the NIN influence is way more present. A lot industrial and numetal sounds on Monsters, that’s for sure. A lot more in common witj Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson and similar artists than to Black Sabbath.

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 3

In this type of discussions of "what it sounds like/what it's influenced by" everyone hears influences they're mostly familiar with or fond of, and most diehard fans are more familiar with the musical trends from the 90s and beyond.

As these songs are originally a product of the early 00s, they're naturally a bit reminiscent of that era (to a large extent due to the production), but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're mainly industrial or nu metal influenced. I think The General is more in that area, but in Monsters I hear mostly a combination of Bowie, Sabbath, Beatlesque pop/Britpop (the poppy chorus and the outro), and trip hop.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

The vocals ln Monsters are very Ozzy.

Yep! They sound a lot like Ozzy and even the verses on that song sound a bit like a sped-up War Pigs to me. There's the "Satan laughing" lyrics, which curiously are on both songs... maybe it's an intentional homage?

19 minutes ago, CaioAKR said:

Yep! They sound a lot like Ozzy and even the verses on that song sound a bit like a sped-up War Pigs to me. There's the "Satan laughing" lyrics, which curiously are on both songs... maybe it's an intentional homage?

Does he say Satan laughing or satanic laughing? Originally I thought it was Satan, but after a few listens I’m not really sure. 

1 minute ago, mikeman5150 said:

Does he say Satan laughing or satanic laughing? Originally I thought it was Satan, but after a few listens I’m not really sure. 

I still hear "Satan laughing", but it could go either way, I suppose. Even if it's "satanic", it's so close to War Pigs' lyrics I can't help but wonder it's intentional, which would be cool.

8 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I don’t see s lot of Sabbath influence, quite frankly. Not in The General, not in Monsters. Yes, technically everyone that plays hard rock or metal has, is some level, Sabbath influences, but I’d say the NIN influence is way more present. A lot industrial and numetal sounds on Monsters, that’s for sure. A lot more in common witj Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson and similar artists than to Black Sabbath.

The vocals on “Monsters” in the verses are very Ozzy-esque. I was playing it one day and my girlfriend listened for the first time, and unprompted, that’s what she said. “Axl sounds a little like Ozzy.”

Edited by GnR Chris

16 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

The vocals on “Monsters” in the verses are very Ozzy-esque. I was playing it one day and my girlfriend listened for the first time, and unprompted, that’s what she said. “Axl sounds a little like Ozzy.”

Probably because of the vocal effects, though. Ozzy would probably only sing a vocal line like this in his more recent albums. It's almost spoken, not sung. Almost a rap. Ozzy is known for very melodic vocal lines that match the main guitar riff, usually.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I'll be honest, these two songs sound nothing like any other bands. People can argue thats good or bad. but very few songs have such a blend of so many different things. it kind of sounds like they've thrown 5 genres in a bowl and out its come. lets have some dirty bass, some hip hop drums, a 100 piece string orchestra and blues guitar. hell lets sing the vocals different in each section with a completely different effect on each line

my thoughts exactly