The General Music Video Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I know you didn't ask me, but I got curious and looked into it. 

This list shows the most expensive music videos: List of most expensive music videos - Wikipedia

As you can see, Estranged cost about 10 mio in today's money. Rammstein isn't on the list, but in this thread you can see someone put it at 6 mio: 

I don't know how reliable that source is, though.

Still, if we trust it then when accounting for inflation, Estranged was more expensive than Deutschland. 

Still, the argument doesn't makes sense, cherry-picking the most expensive video created in recent times will not refute the argument that videos are much less important for artists now than they were back in the days of MTV. You'd have to compare average expenditure per artist on music videos, per their total budgets. I would be extremely surprised if artists don't typically spend less on videos today than in the 80s and 90s when videos were one of the main sources of getting new fans. 

How about you read the full thread before YOU cherry-pick one post and run with it? Straw man.

I didn't cherry-pick anything I just couldn't be bothered to compile a list of every big-budget music video made that has millions of views.

Filmmaking techniques are a lot cheaper these days, so yeah they probably spend less money on them in general than did in the '90s, thanks Genius!

I know a lot of the crew that worked on Deutschland and Radio and I was told it cost more than 6 million dollars to make. I mean argue all you want about inflation, it's not the point of the conversation I was having, what are you on about? And why are you going to Wikipedia? The budget is only public if it's disclosed. "Oh it's not on this list, so it can't be true".

I was responding to someone who claimed music videos were a "dead medium", which they clearly aren't because artists are still spending millions of dollars on them and bringing hundreds of millions and even billions of views. Hence why I posted a video as an example.

Edited by DingBat

10 minutes ago, DingBat said:

How about you read the full thread before YOU cherry-pick one post and run with it? Straw man.

I didn't cherry-pick anything I just couldn't be bothered to compile a list of every big-budget music video made that has millions of views.

Filmmaking techniques are a lot cheaper these days, so yeah they probably spend less money on them in general than did in the '90s, thanks Genius!

I know a lot of the crew that worked on Deutschland and Radio and I was told it cost more than 6 million dollars to make. I mean argue all you want about inflation, it's not the point of the conversation I was having, what are you on about? And why are you going to Wikipedia? The budget is only public if it's disclosed. "Oh it's not on this list, so it can't be true".

I was responding to someone who claimed music videos were a "dead medium", which they clearly aren't because artists are still spending millions of dollars on them and bringing hundreds of millions and even billions of views. Hence why I posted a video as an example.

Yeah, you picked one of the most expensive videos from recent times from a band known for their elaborate and costly videos. 

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

I'm actually too busy to properly respond and was going to later (real life happens), but forget it. I don't owe you a proper reply

Good, I was getting sick of talking to you, it's like trying to explain maths to a dog. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, you picked one of the most expensive videos from recent times from a band known for their elaborate and costly videos. 

Yes, I picked a big-budget video with millions of views to illustrate my point that music videos aren't a "dead medium". If they were people wouldn't be spending millions of dollars making them, and millions and billions of people wouldn't be watching them. Is this too hard for you to comprehend? it's pretty simple stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DingBat said:

Yes, I picked a big-budget video with millions of views to illustrate my point that music videos aren't a "dead medium". If they were people wouldn't be spending millions of dollars making them, and millions and billions of people wouldn't be watching them. Is this too hard for you to comprehend? it's pretty simple stuff. 

If you want to argue for a trend you would be better off pointing to anything but outliers. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

If you want to argue for a trend you would be better off pointing to anything but outliers. 

I've already listed a bunch of other artists in this thread who are getting billions of views on their videos and spending millions on making them. Shame you didn't bother to read that. Check out The Weekend "After Hours" series, check out Rosalia's videos, it goes on and on. I'm not going to sit here all day compiling lists for people like you who don't know their arse from their elbow.

1 minute ago, DingBat said:

I've already listed a bunch of other artists in this thread who are getting billions of views on their videos and spending millions on making them. Shame you didn't bother to read that. Check out The Weekend "After Hours" series, check out Rosalia's videos, it goes on and on. I'm not going to sit here all day compiling lists for people like you who don't know their arse from their elbow.

You don't get the point of averages Vs cherry-picking. 

Why didn't they just release the video/digital on the same day and then the record release to the handful that actually use that medium.

Why do they always stagger these things....especially after it is bashed for being low quality music.

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY outside of this forum cares about a General video.

Now dropping a Monsters video and song, or any other QUALITY song would have created a buzz!

• Like 1

It isn't terrible but it isn't really "good" either.  I guess it's OK.  I don't think I'll be viewing it regularly.  As for the song, it just hit me watching the video.  It sounds like an Aerosmith album filler song with Axl doing guest vocals because of Steven Tyler's vocal chord issues.

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You don't get the point of averages Vs cherry-picking. 

So you agree that the music video industry is dead and there’s no point in making music videos anymore? And that no one goes to YouTube to watch music videos, because they're the points I’ve been arguing against and they are objectively not true.

You talk about outliers, but all of the artists with big videos on MTV back in the day were outliers, Guns N Roses are an outlier, not every band that got on to MTV had massive success. It’s no different today, except that YouTube has taken over from MTV and has a far bigger reach and audience. So any example I give you of contemporary artists having massive success with their videos will always be unacceptable to you. But I guess you know better than the record companies, artists, and billions of viewers of this content. 

Edited by DingBat

43 minutes ago, DingBat said:

And you don't know how to read or follow a conversation. 

Haha, thanks for your concern. No, I doubt I have suddenly lost the ability to read or follow a conversation - unless it is early onset dementia :)

I have read it all, and first off: No need for you to get so worked up over this, no one is out to get you, no need to get so emotional. 

Let's step back to "dead medium". If you were to take this literally, as in there being virtually no more music videos, your strategy of pointing to one or a few would successfully refute that statement. But with just a little bit of goodwill from your side you would agree that this wasn't meant literally, I am sure, but as an idiom for something losing popularity to the point or irrelevance. And although that is nothing I personally would say, nor did I, I think it would be very straightforward to argue for a dramatic drop in music video relevance since the days of MTV. And this trend can only, as is the ways of trends, be supporter or opposed by average type data demonstrating an across the industri decline in music video budgets. Now your triumphant pointing to Rammstein becomes just amusing. 

Edited by SoulMonster

6 minutes ago, DingBat said:

So you agree that the music video industry is dead and there’s no point in making music videos anymore? And that no one goes to YouTube to watch music videos, because they're the points I’ve been arguing against and they are objectively not true.

Nope, never said I did. I just wanted to comment on your flawed argumentation. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nope, never said I did. I just wanted to comment on your flawed argumentation. 

Nothing is flawed with my argumentation, they're the points I was contesting and I'm quite clearly right.

• Haha 2

I don’t mind the video. The AI effects deflect the song. So it’s enjoyable.

but I really want Monsters released in Spring once Slash’s tour is over.

It’s such a great song out of all of the recent songs released.