The General Music Video Discussion Thread

The problem isnt the use of AI really, the problem is the use of cheap AI.

They couldve done better with the use of professional AI, instead they took the cheap one and did a really bad video of it. 

Any of us could actually do a video like this anytime and without any previous video editing knowledge. Its cheap, and being cheap isnt the problem, the problem is it really looks bad. 

First reaction is AI mixed with live footage.

It's like Fernando saw that AI ad ran by a Russian company that steals your information on Facebook, clicked on it and uploaded his picture and liked it so he uploaded a whole GnR drive and we got this. 

Not bad but, just not feeling it. It goes with the theme of this and Monsters but not feeling it at the moment.

Just watched it again and wow, it just looks so cheap. I'm really not interested in AI at all and even I have seen better stuff in galleries and showrooms. This video will look dated in less than 6 months. 

Apart from that, I am not feeling this artistic approach at all. 

Slash posts AI videos often enough on his IG, so maybe he was on- board with this. Who knows?

Absurd was released with a junk animated image video, Hard Skool was released with a half- assed lyric video, Perhaps had a live video, The General has a concept/live video... maybe that means Monsters will have the band acting in it since each release seems to have a bit more :lol:

At this rate, we should have interviews, full videos, and new albums regularly put out every other year by 2050

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The rendering hours themselves would push it far, far beyond $500 :lol: Then comes the live shots editing, the live motion, the hand drawings, and finally merging all this and post-production. So obviously maaany hours work resulting in much higher cost/price than most of their recent videos. 

Just go to Fiverr and look yourself, plenty of people on there offering similar content, and most of them work for pennies. Perhaps it's not $500, perhaps it's $1000, whatever, either way, it's easy and cheap to do. I don't know if they did it the easy or cheap way, maybe they spent 6 months on it and had 3-hour meetings every morning, but it's easily replicated by the most unqualified of visual artists for very little money. 

And rendering that AI animation isn't a big deal on modern computers, it'll do it in the background while you work. My new MacbookPro can edit 8K in real-time. We're not talking about the Unreal Engine here, we're talking about basic shit. 

I'm not saying time and effort wasn't put into it, but if there was they probably shouldn't have bothered, because it's a piece of piss to make something like that and most wouldn't make it so poorly. 

• Thanks 1

As far as the concept of the video and it's relation to the subject matter of the lyrics, I don't think it has to be directly related (like showing a child being abused). I actually prefer it when it's more allusive.

But the concept is not served by the way it is executed and the video game aesthetic of fast moving disjointed images.

• Like 2

They could have done something like Iron Maiden did, and it would have required very little input from themselves if they hired a proper artist, writer and production company to do it, but for some reason they don't want to spend the money.

I've been a video editor for 20 years and I'd be fucking embarrassed if I'd made that video for The General. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I wonder what the band was thinking when they were shown the video by Fernando, or maybe they just dont care?

I doubt the band have much say in it all and Axl has probably just said 'yeah make a video, get on with it, whatever you think best'. 

I don't see that too much thought has gone into this at any level whatsoever.