The General Music Video Discussion Thread

Just now, JimiRose said:

I think they're just stylistic choices, not errors. a bit like the song itself and the muffled vocal. nothing to do with them not knowing how to edit, they have purposely made it sound that way. subjective whether you like it or not

You can say that about anything, but the live footage is low-resolution and poorly colour graded. I can't be bothered to check but it looks like it goes into super black, which is an illegal value and something no professional colour grader would ever do. It's not surprising really as creative works aren't editors or filmmakers. They make wallpaper for concerts. 

3 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

If they wanted an animated video, they had a chance to make something as beautiful or interesting as the Rocket Man video...

Right, or something like this, the video for the general just stinks. It's amatuer hour. 

Just now, DingBat said:

Right, or something like this, the video for the general just stinks. It's amatuer hour. 

That's who the band should've gotten for this - Jess Cope. Incredibly talented.

• Like 1

They not only used an older verison of midjourney, but the results in the video shows that the prompt wasn't detailed much either, Anime children walking around in the night sky with clips of tour footage shoved in. Honestly VERY sad, almost as lazy as when Creative Works put their entire tour video graphics on Vimeo unlisted in 2022, so unprofessional. Im sorry, im usually Pro-AI, but using it as an official thing and not just for fun, is sad.

OK, it’s out. So now if we complain, are we still whiners or was it justified? ‘Cause AI is the laziest fucking thing you can do. And GNR as artists themselves, they really should be embarrassed to employ someone to generate this rather than pay an actual artist to animate a cool concept. The arts are dying, and it’s ‘cause of shit like this.

• Like 4

I enjoyed it, very avant-garde. Now I will give a disclaimer, I’m under the age of 40 lol. TBH I feel as tho this is where music vids are. Seizure inducing? Nah just new style AI art. Kind of like low fi music vids, limited animation to accentuate the music. No story needed for younger generations, it’s a background playing on a second monitor while gaming on another 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It looks super cheap.

Clearly nobody in Guns N' Roses gives a fuck about Guns N' Roses anymore.

No quality control at all at this point. 

I could make something better than this with a $30 Midjourney subscription.
Im glad to be a kid in my early 20s and have grown up with the common sense to know this is lazy shit.

Edited by Skamos66
  • Like 1

If there's any value to come out of this video, it hopefully serves as a warning to other artists not to rely on A.I. to make music videos (unless the technology improves dramatically).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This is fun. I love all the reactions to it. 

Anyway, as far as storyline goes, yeah, there doesn't seem much, it is more about describing certain themes, although I wouldn't be surprised if we would keep on discussing specific details in decades to come. Similarly, I am not surprised the video doesn't go in detail about Axl's childhood - it could be difficult to handle this delicately and I don't think he really wants to go there, I think he would prefer a video that more hints than is graphical about what happened. Still, even this limited storyline is vastly preferably for me than the messy storylines in the Since I Don't Have You, Don't Cry and Estranged videos :lol:

As for my impression of the video: It is too much movement for an old guy like myself. Still, I really appreciate that Axl wanted a music video to this song, the band making the effort, going for a new style that is controversial, and clearly putting resources into it.  But more than anything, I LOVE how the band manages to still not take the easy way out by simply making something that is crowd pleasing to the fans.

"The band making an effort"

Hahahah, they don't deserve fans like you.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It features a narrative that explores the subconscious of a young boy confronting his dark childhood memories, seamlessly blending different visual worlds. This approach continues Guns N' Roses' tradition of delivering bold and innovative visuals.

Ahhhhh so...

So, did this child used to take baths and eat after midnight, leading to him multiplying like Gizmo does in the movie Gremlins?

Edited by downzy
Removed YouTube link.
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

But more than anything, I LOVE how the band manages to still not take the easy way out by simply making something that is crowd pleasing to the fans.

I don't think this is a choice, they just can't write a song that would please the fans, and then aren't professional enough to release it in a way to make it a success. The 'sticking to their principles and writing the songs we wanna write' attitude doesn't apply to GnR. no one in the band aside from Axl even wrote this song ffs :lol:

1 minute ago, Rayvela said:

I enjoyed it, very avant-garde. Now I will give a disclaimer, I’m under the age of 40 lol. TBH I feel as tho this is where music vids are. Seizure inducing? Nah just new style AI art. Kind of like low fi music vids, limited animation to accentuate the music. No story needed for younger generations, it’s a background playing on a second monitor while gaming on another 

This is not where "music videos are" at all unless you're ordering one off Fiverr. 

26 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am really happy Axl wanted a video for this song. I feared he had become more indifferent to it since it was released "only" as a B side, but obviously they wanted to make a proper video here. I wonder to what extent Axl has been involved in the storyline or imagery. Some obvious themes are innocence, children, decay, I guess all being topical to the lyrics.

I be sure is Axl involved, you can see like the face of this kid to melt in the face of currently Axl. Is very personalized in Axl.

• Like 2