The General Music Video Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The full release notes:

Release from Guns N' Roses: "The General" Music Video**

Guns N' Roses have unveiled a new music video for their single "The General." This release marks a significant milestone for the band, as it introduces a pioneering use of AI in their video production.

The video masterfully combines live footage, motion graphics, hand-drawn elements, and AI-rendered content, offering an immersive, A.I.-infused visual experience.

It features a narrative that explores the subconscious of a young boy confronting his dark childhood memories, seamlessly blending different visual worlds. This approach continues Guns N' Roses' tradition of delivering bold and innovative visuals.

The project was brought to life in collaboration with London based Creative Works, and led by Creative Director and Co-Founder Dan Potter, the concert visuals director for Guns N' Roses.

Potter explains, "The decision to integrate AI into our storytelling process was inspired ultimately by the band management. Prior to combining the AI workflow, the team had been working on an animated cinematic in Unreal Engine. Incorporating this new AI workflow significantly impacted the project's direction and the unique visual style resulting from this blend aligns perfectly with the song's vibe. This showcases how using these new tools leads to successful collaborations between traditional and AI-driven art forms."

Link in Bio to the full music video or just check out the Guns N' Roses YouTube channel

Wait until my father hears about this, Potter!

• Haha 4

Kinda enjoyed it. It has it's moments, for example the part were they combined the footage with the sketch. It would be cool if they made them as characters in the video and now just show live footage. Maybe someone who's takin' drgs like it more than us:P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It features a narrative that explores the subconscious of a young boy confronting his dark childhood memories, seamlessly blending different visual worlds. This approach continues Guns N' Roses' tradition of delivering bold and innovative visuals.

The AI and graphics are cool and interesting enough, but I think the link between the lyrical theme and the video narrative described here is tenuous at best, and non existent in reality. there's no narrative at all really, what dark childhood memories are there? none related to the lyrics. A decaying teddy and some scary monsters hardly seem that much. 

Overall, good that they tried something new, the tech is obviously very good, just a shame there was no actual storyline in the video or anything deeply personal to anyone in the band.  5/10. probably won't watch it again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BluegrassBlues said:

Its for sure different, I don't hate it but its not really what I was expecting either. I don't see how the story and the lyrics go together 

They don't. it's almost like axl said to them 'this song is about a kid with scary memories - don't visualise the lyrics though and don't bother with a story.'

People sayings it's a pile of shit are being a bit harsh. Obviously a lot of care and effort went into it from the creative side (not GnRs) but they could have at least written a storyline that you could follow. 

• Like 3

Just now, JimiRose said:

They don't. it's almost like axl said to them 'this song is about a kid with scary memories - don't visualise the lyrics though and don't bother with a story.'

People sayings it's a pile of shit are being a bit harsh. Obviously a lot of care and effort went into it from the creative side (not GnRs) but they could have at least written a storyline that you could follow. 

A lot of care and effort might have gone into the graphics but not much went into the editing and colour grading.

Just now, scottish nutter said:

im guessing someone is trying to make a  cool video for the youngsters?

this is shit

if you want to make something cool, just stick some boobies in it, theres nothing more cool than boobies lol

I appreciate there are no strippers nor AFD skeletons in this.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Im sorry, but I can generate this with a $30 midjourney subscription. Fucks sake
AI is cool and all, but as a substitute or outright lazy excuse for an actual artist creation, for something such as a music video, is just sad.

Edited by Skamos66
  • Like 2

Just now, Skamos66 said:

Ah yes, the iconic club venue: "SNORE KLIT"

image.png

That is what I find annoying. It looks like letters, but they're not really real letters. That enhances the idea you've had some kind of stroke.

If I'm being honest, what I dislike the most is YouTube auto-playing Duff's video for Longfeather right after the video for The General. 

Say what you want about The General, but man alive Longfeather is truly terrible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

Agreed, I don't think its terrible by any means, I just wish the storyline would have flowed better with the lyrics. But I guess on the other hand, I really wouldn't want to see child abuse being played out so I guess they just went with what they could piece together 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DingBat said:

A lot of care and effort might have gone into the graphics but not much went into the editing and colour grading.

I think they're just stylistic choices, not errors. a bit like the song itself and the muffled vocal. nothing to do with them not knowing how to edit, they have purposely made it sound that way. subjective whether you like it or not

Just now, downzy said:

If I'm being honest, what I dislike the most is YouTube auto-playing Duff's video for Longfeather right after the video for The General. 

Say what you want about The General, but man alive Longfeather is truly terrible.

The Longfeather video's a lot better than this pile of shit. 

• ABSUЯD 1

Just now, downzy said:

I've felt that way about most of Duff's Solo material.

These guys are creatively bankrupt.

• Like 1