The General Music Video Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, UncleJosh said:

So it is just live footage clipped together or is there more involved? Do your eyes work or are you just being a troll?

It required no more effort from the band than live clips would. They spent a bit of money by hiring a firm to do some AI work, but I wouldn’t call that effort. I don’t blame them, music videos aren’t really relevant to classic rock acts, but this is nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Don't hate it, despite being a CGI-AI seizure inducing slap to the face.

Would have preferred at it just been live shots and they limited the AI edits to the performers.  I really don't know what the cartoon is about or how it relates to the song.  

Exactly my thoughts.

At the end it‘s better than the lyric videos to Absurd and Hard Skool but nothing you should promote with „something fn special“

3 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2fabXgsxVO/?igsh=MWt5N2E0cDZ3aWpuZw==

More context courtesy of Creative Works… so ya, I kind of figured this was supposed to be from the perspective of a disturbed child, this adds more detail to that.

This quote got my attention:

"The decision to integrate AI into our storytelling process was inspired ultimately by the band management. Prior to combining the AI workflow, the team had been working on an animated cinematic in Unreal Engine. Incorporating this new AI workflow significantly impacted the project's direction and the unique visual style resulting from this blend aligns perfectly with the song's vibe. This showcases how using these new tools leads to successful collaborations between traditional and AI-driven art forms."

Sounds like this might have been both a budget and aesthetic consideration.

Would have been more interesting, in my opinion, had they stuck with the Unreal Engine renderings.  But to each their own. 

• Like 4

I am really happy Axl wanted a video for this song. I feared he had become more indifferent to it since it was released "only" as a B side, but obviously they wanted to make a proper video here. I wonder to what extent Axl has been involved in the storyline or imagery. Some obvious themes are innocence, children, decay, I guess all being topical to the lyrics.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I wonder to what extent Axl has been involved in the storyline or imagery. Some obvious themes are innocence, children, decay, I guess all being topical to the lyrics.

I think almost none since the video doesn't really go into depths of the story. It seems to just touch the idea of troubled childhood and overall is very impersonal. But well, Fernando wanted to do something "creative"

• Like 1

The full release notes:

Release from Guns N' Roses: "The General" Music Video**

Guns N' Roses have unveiled a new music video for their single "The General." This release marks a significant milestone for the band, as it introduces a pioneering use of AI in their video production.

The video masterfully combines live footage, motion graphics, hand-drawn elements, and AI-rendered content, offering an immersive, A.I.-infused visual experience.

It features a narrative that explores the subconscious of a young boy confronting his dark childhood memories, seamlessly blending different visual worlds. This approach continues Guns N' Roses' tradition of delivering bold and innovative visuals.

The project was brought to life in collaboration with London based Creative Works, and led by Creative Director and Co-Founder Dan Potter, the concert visuals director for Guns N' Roses.

Potter explains, "The decision to integrate AI into our storytelling process was inspired ultimately by the band management. Prior to combining the AI workflow, the team had been working on an animated cinematic in Unreal Engine. Incorporating this new AI workflow significantly impacted the project's direction and the unique visual style resulting from this blend aligns perfectly with the song's vibe. This showcases how using these new tools leads to successful collaborations between traditional and AI-driven art forms."

Link in Bio to the full music video or just check out the Guns N' Roses YouTube channel

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It was worse than I expected, and I had low expectations. 

The song that could have benefitted most from a lyric video, doesn't get one. Bummer.

At least Fernando isn't in it! 

You didn't see the demonic teddy?  🧸👿

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I think almost none since the video doesn't really go into depths of the story. It seems to just touch the idea of troubled childhood and overall is very impersonal. But well, Fernando wanted to do something "creative"

There is so much happening, so many details. But yeah, it could be only focusing on some themes, "a young boy who stares down the monsters of dark childhood memories, blurring worlds in the process", and not include any details that are more directly connected to Axl's past. 

• PERHAPS 2

3 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

I just don't understand what are they trying to portray with the kids wearing the pink hoodies

?

most likely a kid who's been through childhood absue trying to hide his/her true feelings from the world as possibly they feel as if no one would care

It pains me to say this as a lifelong fan of 30-years but the song really still does nothing for me and the video needs to come with a warning label - 'may cause nausea, motion sickness, epilepsy and despondency'. But, I do hope it does well. It's just not for me, personally speaking.

• Like 4