The General Music Video Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Skamos66 said:

I hope not. Dude has been in a good mood recently

At least he could crack some jokes with this video

49 minutes ago, MJRoses23 said:

Watched it twice. I still love the song but am not a fan of the video. Its hard to watch. That said, I appreciate that they're still doing stuff. They are at least trying to be creative still. At this stage in their careers thats more than a lot of bands can say. You can all debate the level of "trying" theyre doing, but they are trying. 

After years of silence, I'm happier with them putting out the occasional thing I dont like than nothing at all.

Come on!!! You only need to watch it 3 more times to like it!!!! GO!

fea6ae573265e4b45d36a58f3ceaf172.gif

the band’s first-ever A.I.-powered music video.

A.I. ..really? 

I am so sick of seeing A.I. generated images. They're fun, but nothing else. I expect more from Guns'N'Roses

Watching the video, i did wonder if Axl has an image issue, as he no longer looks like he did, back during the AFD, UYI days.

..or maybe the band are too lazy to make videos, and tell creators to 'create' and simply use live footage from concerts. 

When was the last time Guns'N'Roses released a good video? ..I can't recall any video's from CD? were there any?

Since I Don't Have You just might have been the last decent G'N'R video :)

• Like 1

I can't be too critical, considering that I wrote this when the Perhaps music video was released:

"Hopefully they manage to keep up with the good work and The General will have a music video as well. Personally I would love to see a video that's more than just touring and backstage footage. But any video is better than nothing."

Still the honest truth is that I'm not a big fan of this. Don't like the generic anime inspired art style for starters. It seems to be the default art style that AI often chooses for some reason. This will probably look very dated within a couple of years. AI is getting better so fast. Even fanmade AI videos will look so much better than this in only a couple of years.

This would have been fine as a lyric video. Nobody puts much effort into lyric videos anyway and it would have been great to see the official lyrics finally. But the problem is that they're marketing this as a real music video and calling it something F'N special.

In theory this could have been great. I like the scenes where the band members morph into AI creatures. There's some neat ideas here and there, like the melting Teddy Bear. I get what they were going for. In principle I have nothing against trippy AI videos. I just don't like the execution. It looks cheap and the animation is even lagging in some places.

The world is filled with great animated music videos, like Do the Evolution by Pearl Jam for example. Why can't GNR do something like that instead? What is stopping them? Maybe it's just cause I really like The General as a song. I think it would have deserved a better video.

At the end of the day it's a matter of taste. I guess this is better than nothing. But honestly I personally liked the alligator more than this. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It seems like they tried to public something for the young fans . I am an old man maybe hahaha . Don’t like it . Made me and a  little dizzy . But in other hand it is better from nothing 

Edited by nickzark

52 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

To many people on this forum are still stuck in the past and that's the problem with many who post on this forum. 

It's not the 90s anymore... 

Music video directors don't exist anymore nor do record labels have the money to invest in a product that doesn't give them a financial return.

The band have released a music video that fits in with the current state of today's music industry, including the cost factor and holding the copyrights to their own  content. 

Some of you seem to think this music video was released to make some money. 

The music industry doesn't make any money anymore, hence a less cost effective alternative.. 

Thats why many artists today, release animation/lyric/live footage based music videos, or are remastering previously released albums. 

That's it then. Music industry- your time is up.

Someone call Taylor Swift and let her know. Quickly please as she's releasing albums and touring and needs warning. 

• Haha 1

Jokes aside, if this came out years ago and was made by people and not prompts, I'd think it was kinda cool. Busy, but cool. I like animation. I am sad that AI will replace more human animation. I miss cartoons

2 hours ago, DingBat said:

The Perhaps video was much, much better. Just compare the live footage, editing, and grading in that to this video. It's night and day and not very FK'N special.

Agree. Videos are night and day. The Perhaps video actually made me think/remember ‘90s GNR. Probably helps that I love the song. 

23 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Very animated. What's with the kids? Axl and the band sound great. It's a different sound for GNR, but changing with the times.

"Between the concert footage, it dives into the subconscious of a young boy who stares down the monsters of dark childhood memories, blurring worlds in the process."

From the link right above you that jamillos posted. https://www.gunsnroses.com/news/title/guns-n-roses-kickstart-2024-with-cinematic-ai-generated-animated-music-video-for-brand-new-single-the-general

I like the song and video.

Edited by Outofgascar
link

Wasn't excited at all when they put out the Instagram clip, but I changed my mind. I actually like the video. It's cool.

It will propably look super dated in a few years, because everyone will be doing this, but now it looks cool rock4

• Like 2