VIDEOGAME Thread...

Have any of you ever played corrupt files of old video games on an emulator? My roommate recently modded his wii to play Genesis, NES, Super Nintendo, and N64 games. A lot of the N64 games don't work very well, and it is fucking hilarious. The tempo of the music and sound effects fluctuates, the graphics are usually oddly distorted, some are disappearing and reappearing, collision and other glitches everywhere, and for some reason it is way more fun than if the piece of shit game was working properly. We played Perfect Dark, Pokemon Stadium 2, Ogre Battle, Jet Force Gemini, Ocarina of Time, and the laughs did not stop until we tried Mario Kart and it worked perfectly fine.

Goat Simulator is gunna be kinda like that, like Skate 3 but... intentional. Could be a nice departure from these high budget games that take themselves ultra seriously, I feel like it'll at least take a while for goat jet packs to get old.

Emulators and ROMs are notoriously patchy when it comes to quality, sometimes you get very good ones and sometimes they suck. For example I have Sonic Gems Collection and almost every time I play it half the text appears as gibberish. Also had an Ocarina of Time one that had corrupt textures and didn't load half of them.

Something I've noticed about old 8/16 bit emulators is the music is never 100%, even if it's a really good file. I have this cheap mini Sega Genesis that actually plays the old cartridges I still have, and they run great but the music is oddly tuned and sometimes cuts out during other sound effects. Shit sucks. Especially since the music to games like that was such a huge part of the experience, still fun though.

Whats so amazing about Shenmue?

It was just like stepping into a different world, yet a world not too far removed from your own (1980s Japan for the first, Hong Kong, Kowloon and Guilin for the 2nd). Incredibly immersive game. There's elements of routine to it as well, some people found it boring, others found it meditative or engrossing. The 2nd one is much more action-packed, the 3rd disc of 4 especially is like a Hong Kong action film. The graphics were unbelievable for the time. The story itself isn't particularly original but the way the game brought you into it was innovative. Also had real-time combat, turn-based combat turned me off most RPGs, and introduced QTEs (though there was already something similar in Dragon's Lair). You could be carrying books and learning to catch leaves, or fighting your way through a derelict skyscraper full of hired goons.

Blows my mind you can run a Dreamcast calculator on a fucking phone.

Nice!!!

iOS version is coming soon, as soon as it does I'm jailbreaking my phone.

Edited by Amir

For those who have completed The Witcher 2, what major decisions did you make? I made the following:

- Sided with Roche rather than Iorveth

- Let Roche kill Henselt

- Rescued the child rather than Tess

- Gave the child to the Temerian knight so that he would be her guardian, Temeria would stay independent and she'd one day be Queen

- Let Sile live

- Let the dragon live

- Fought and killed Letho The Kingslayer

Edited by PappyTron

• 2 weeks later...