Slash - You're a Lie (Full Song)

Naupis

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. To compare it to the first single from the last record, its no By the Sword. I just don't like Myles Kennedy. I try and try, but his voice is just annoying. If Scott sang on this track, it may have been totally different.

Scott as in Scott Weiland? Myles is 100 times better than Scott as a singer. VR songs sound better when Myles sings them. Scott Weiland was the weak link in VR. He is what made Libertad a big step down from Contraband.

Well. To compare it to the first single from the last record, its no By the Sword. I just don't like Myles Kennedy. I try and try, but his voice is just annoying. If Scott sang on this track, it may have been totally different.

Scott as in Scott Weiland? Myles is 100 times better than Scott as a singer. VR songs sound better when Myles sings them. Scott Weiland was the weak link in VR. He is what made Libertad a big step down from Contraband.

If Scott sucks so much then why can't VR find a new singer? If he's so bad it should be easy to replace him, right? Scott sings both VR and GNR songs better than Myles could ever dream of doing.

Well, curiousity killed the cat. I said I wouldn't listen but I gave in.

Yeah, I kinda like it. It's a little like Just Sixteen (a radio friendly rock song) but better, if only for that bouncy opening riff. Lyrics are a little bit cliche and repetitive in the short pre-chorus bit ('you' did this, and 'you' did that), but overall a fun song. Solo is interesting.

I doubt the album will be full of 3.5 minute songs of this ilk (at least I hope not) so I'm going to give it some leeway and accept it as a fun addition to the album that will be cool blaring on my car stereo.

LA

I doubt the album will be full of 3.5 minute songs of this ilk (at least I hope not) so I'm going to give it some leeway and accept it as a fun addition to the album that will be cool blaring on my car stereo.

In an interview somewhere a while ago Slash did say there are alot of longer "musical journeys" on the album.

I think this literally was picked because it is radio friendly from start to finish and is the length a radio edit would most likely be anyway.

Slash has settled on a lead singer to front the songs from his upcoming ‘Apocalyptic Love‘ album, and the chemistry with Myles Kennedy is unmistakable on ‘You’re a Lie,’ the album’s first single.

The necessarily loud and tightly produced recording is amongst his best post-GNR works.

The biggest challenge for a guitarist releasing a solo project is finding a balance with the vocalist that features the man who’s name is stamped on the album jacket without castrating his singer. ‘You’re a Lie’ begins with almost 40 seconds of Slash in the driver’s seat a la Ryan Gossling in ‘Drive,’ but when it’s time he lets Kennedy shine.

“You’re a voice of reason that I can’t escape / Cut me down a thousand times a day / I don’t need you anymore / I don’t need you anymore,” he sings to open the lyric.

The two — along with the other Conspirators, who’s contributions shouldn’t be overlooked — weave around each other like circus performers. Slash’s technical noodling only compliments Kennedy’s lyrics. It’s a brilliant balance they hold on to for almost four minutes.

“‘Cause you’re a liar, liar / All my faith has been wasted, wasted / ‘Cause you’re a liar, liar / I don’t need you to save me anymore,” Kennedy sings during the chorus.

‘You’re a Lie’ never lets up, moving from chorus to verse to guitar solo without space for a breath or even a pause for emphasis. It’s pedal-to-the-metal rock and roll from start to finish. Perhaps only ‘Black Betty’ by Ram Jam will be the cause of more speeding tickets.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-youre-a-lie-song-review/

It's alright I think but nothing special... and I don't realy like Myles.

....and am I the only one who thinks that the album cover and title is totally lame :P

it's like "oh yeah! lets be super rock 'n' roll. This album cover is so freaking hardcore! we're awesome! apocalyptic love is so freaking cool, girls are bitchess!!!111!1"

If Scott sucks so much then why can't VR find a new singer? If he's so bad it should be easy to replace him, right? Scott sings both VR and GNR songs better than Myles could ever dream of doing.

I like both singers, but Scott singing the GnR tunes better? Yeah, lets hear him sing SCOM, My Michelle, PC. Oh yeah he doesn't, because he doesn't have that kind of range. He always stuck to the deeper registered songs like Brownstone, Its So Easy, & Used To Love Her. In fact, did VR ever do any other GnR tunes besides those 3? I know they didn't at any of the shows I went to. Like I said, I like both singers, but when it comes to them doing GnR tunes Myles has the better voice for it, IMO.

Edited by tat2d1

I like the song a lot.... and this isn't even one of the songs the guys were bragging about, if I am not mistaken.

I do agree there are better songs involving Slash, but this one is cool and I liked how Myles opened with the vocals. It was a little different than I heard him before. Good job by all 4 of the guys in the band.

I do really like Myles and do really appreciate what how he sings, especially opening scream and the background 'LIAR' 'chant'/'screach' (?) in the chorus but the whole thing cried out for Axl Rose.

It doesn't sound Guns n Roses, it does sound Velvet Revolverish and it does sound modern Axl Rose.

Got to say though, listen to the sample about 3 times and then the full version twice, all through ear phones. Just, before posting here, listened to it full blast on some external speakers and it was a whole different beast, so anyone passing judgement or writing it off before they play it through a stereo or in the car, don't.