Am I the only one who doesn't like Jimi Hendrix?

arnold layne

I guess you had to be there. His music was profound when he came out back then and it's hard to picture it sounding new now. He probably influenced a lot of the music you like, even Slash, RHCP, everyone really. Playing the guitar upside down is also an odd challenge. I don't like Syd Barrett's music. Really not my thing. To each his/her own.

And given you're dislike of women, maybe you'd like Hey Joe, my favorite Jimi Hendrix cover. Mitch Mitchell is amazing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3FAY-NOiU

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

He has done some really good music, but I've never been a big fan. There are many guitarists I like better.

Guest Len B'stard

To understand Jimi you have to have some sorta belief in magic somewhere in you.

Edited by sugaraylen

On the fence with this one, he's got some good songs, and his chops are definitely awesome. But on the other hand, I just don't listen to his stuff that much, and it doesn't make me want to play it, when there's so much other great music at my disposal...

I don't put on his music, but when it does come on, I don't turn it off. I think he was awesome and made it look so easy. It would have been amazing to see how his talent would have developed.

He's a talented guitar player but INCREDIBLY overrated.

I listen to albums, in full, almost 70% or so the time I listen to music. I've never finished one of his. Maybe at the time it was different but now a lot of it plods along and no album by him even touches anything by all those regarded around him at the time.

He's overrated by people that don't even truthfully love him themselves.

Party situation:

Me: Hendrix has some great songs, but he's never released a great album

Other Guy: What do you mean? Fucking purple haze, all along the watchtower, castles made of sand!

He's the kind of artist I'll say is okay and someone else will say they love but I could name more of his songs than they could. Sort of like STP in that regard.

Guest Len B'stard

Jimi was, quite frankly, the greatest guitar player that ever lived...period. One of the greatest musicians in popular music ever and one of the singlemost important artists ever in popular music. The guy was more that a guitar player, he was an alchemist. I mean, to be what he was...and to reach the standard he did in some 13 years of playing guitar is just phenomenal. 13 years...think about that for a second. Think about all the guitarists people compare to Jimi and how long they were actually playing and how long Jimi was and what Jimi achieved in that time, it's just amazing. 13 years, thats less time than it took to make Chinese Democracy.

Jimi wasn't just amazing in a conventional sense, he had this outstanding ability to coax and to tease and to wring these alien sounds from the guitar, the guy was just fantastic, he spurred himself on with his own playing, you can just see him getting wound up like a coil by his own playing, cheering himself on with "yeeeeeeah's", Jimi was simply the coolest motherfucker ever to grace the stage.

To think that this uneducated black guy from 50s America could write and compose the songs he did, to play the way he did with no formal training, it's just amazing, THAT is what you call gifted, thats what the word means, the ability to just play the guitar, left handed, right handed, with his teeth, with his fuckin dick, the boy could do it all. Years from now when people ask who the fuckin Mozart or Beethoven of our fuckin time is all the Stevie Ray Vaughns and Eddie Van LoadoffuckinbollocksHalen will fade into the background, there is nobody as good as Jimi on the guitar and there will be no one else in our lifetimes, Jimi was beyond words.

He had an intuitive mastery of the blues, of all sorts of musical styles that he just encorporated into his playing along with all that sound manipulation stuff he did, it's a shame that shit got labelled Acid Rock or whatever cuz...y'know, this is clearly not fuckin Cheech & Chong music, this is beautiful stuff.

The ease and the sense of style that he played the guitar with was like....it was a familiar as a limb to him, watching Jimi on film is something that i do CONSTANTLY, INCESSANTLY, you would hate Jimi Hendrix if you lived with me, i would drive you mad.

The most beautiful fuckin thing i've ever seen is Jimi at Monterey..."he's unheard of in America but he won't be after this, Ladies and Gentleman, The Jimi Hendrix Expierience!" and he's standing there is that shadow and bang, from silence it's this fuckin supercharged 6.0 ltr explosion of the fuckin notes of Killing Floor, in like triple or quadruple time, like his fingers are gonna start smoking any minute.

And the guy was so humble and meek sounding "they got a little tune runnin' round called Rock Me Baby but dig we got our own little Rock Me Baby, the words are gonna be wrong but thats OK, dig this!" and it's like, ugh, you fuckin' gangster :rofl-lol:

Apparently he could be quite a cock in real life but what do i really know about all of that y'know, just read stuff, alls i can judge is the music. And what fucking wonderful music it isss, flawless, all yous going on about "average, overrated" fuck offfffffffffffffffff, have you got fuckin ears or what?!?! Jimi's fuckin filler, Jimi's soft tracks piss all over any fuckin guitarist i ever heard.

But seriously, whats shit, what track is shit, someone tell me, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Red House, Can You See Me, with it's mental fuckin cascading drums and the passion in the lyrics and the delivery, thematically speaking it's pretty fuckin bluesy but the song is a fuckin' rock song, or Love & Confusion, is this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE or just uh, DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DAAAHHH!!! confuuusion :lol: Coooooool as y'like.

and Fire, Jesus, turning Fire on is like getting shot out of a rocket, Jimi just fuckin lays into it, it makes my legs shake, it is impossible to sit still to that song. And Highway Chile and fuckin, God, which one of those songs is bad...or average, gimme a break Jimi is the fuckin' boy.

The second album is just fantastic too, probably my favorite actually, not a bad track on it, Castles Made of Sand, Spanish Castle Magic, If 6 was 9, or that other one, think i better wait til tommorowwww "click bang, what a hang, your daddy just shot poor me!" :lol:

Jimi gets flak for his lyrics cuz they're meandering a bit but i think they're just brilliant, they're colourful, they're meaningful, they have a purpose, Jimi can't be judged like other musicians because he was 100 million bajillion percent an artist first and foremost before any and everything else so, y'know, all this puerile little critics criterias that are used when people wanna pick at Jimi are kinda redundant because Jimi was out in the world tryna do his THAAAANGGG :lol: and it was unique and different and unlike anybody or anything else that came before or after.

And this notion that Jimi was some whacked out random note playing mentallist is betrayed by looking at the recording and the WAY he went about recording and the studiousness and the attention to detail and the take after re-take after re-take after re-take, with no regard for the monies being plunged into the shit, just so's Jimi could nail the sound in his head on wax, Jimi knew EXACTLY what the fuck he was doing.

And Electric Ladyland i refuse to even praise because if you don't get it with that album then there's something fuckin wrong with you, maybe you ain't meant to listen to fuckin good music, maybe you're the other side of the seesaw, after all, someone has to make up the number for the dross like fuckin....Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and all those wanky fuckin soft lad bands, cuz you need the shite to make the brilliant that little extra bit specialer.

He's a talented guitar player but INCREDIBLY overrated.

I listen to albums, in full, almost 70% or so the time I listen to music. I've never finished one of his. Maybe at the time it was different but now a lot of it plods along and no album by him even touches anything by all those regarded around him at the time.

He's overrated by people that don't even truthfully love him themselves.

Party situation:

Me: Hendrix has some great songs, but he's never released a great album

Other Guy: What do you mean? Fucking purple haze, all along the watchtower, castles made of sand!

He's the kind of artist I'll say is okay and someone else will say they love but I could name more of his songs than they could. Sort of like STP in that regard.

Just becasue you don't like all the music on his albums does not mean they weren't great mate...Like any talented musician who died before his/ her time the myth is always greater than reality but that does not diminish the man's talent or influence on the music of his time.................see Buddy Holly Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin...all were "overrated" to some extent by their early death.........

Edited by classicrawker

Jimi was, quite frankly, the greatest guitar player that ever lived...period. One of the greatest musicians in popular music ever and one of the singlemost important artists ever in popular music. The guy was more that a guitar player, he was an alchemist. I mean, to be what he was...and to reach the standard he did in some 13 years of playing guitar is just phenomenal. 13 years...think about that for a second. Think about all the guitarists people compare to Jimi and how long they were actually playing and how long Jimi was and what Jimi achieved in that time, it's just amazing. 13 years, thats less time than it took to make Chinese Democracy.

Jimi wasn't just amazing in a conventional sense, he had this outstanding ability to coax and to tease and to wring these alien sounds from the guitar, the guy was just fantastic, he spurred himself on with his own playing, you can just see him getting wound up like a coil by his own playing, cheering himself on with "yeeeeeeah's", Jimi was simply the coolest motherfucker ever to grace the stage.

To think that this uneducated black guy from 50s America could write and compose the songs he did, to play the way he did with no formal training, it's just amazing, THAT is what you call gifted, thats what the word means, the ability to just play the guitar, left handed, right handed, with his teeth, with his fuckin dick, the boy could do it all. Years from now when people ask who the fuckin Mozart or Beethoven of our fuckin time is all the Stevie Ray Vaughns and Eddie Van LoadoffuckinbollocksHalen will fade into the background, there is nobody as good as Jimi on the guitar and there will be no one else in our lifetimes, Jimi was beyond words.

He had an intuitive mastery of the blues, of all sorts of musical styles that he just encorporated into his playing along with all that sound manipulation stuff he did, it's a shame that shit got labelled Acid Rock or whatever cuz...y'know, this is clearly not fuckin Cheech & Chong music, this is beautiful stuff.

The ease and the sense of style that he played the guitar with was like....it was a familiar as a limb to him, watching Jimi on film is something that i do CONSTANTLY, INCESSANTLY, you would hate Jimi Hendrix if you lived with me, i would drive you mad.

The most beautiful fuckin thing i've ever seen is Jimi at Monterey..."he's unheard of in America but he won't be after this, Ladies and Gentleman, The Jimi Hendrix Expierience!" and he's standing there is that shadow and bang, from silence it's this fuckin supercharged 6.0 ltr explosion of the fuckin notes of Killing Floor, in like triple or quadruple time, like his fingers are gonna start smoking any minute.

And the guy was so humble and meek sounding "they got a little tune runnin' round called Rock Me Baby but dig we got our own little Rock Me Baby, the words are gonna be wrong but thats OK, dig this!" and it's like, ugh, you fuckin' gangster :rofl-lol:

Apparently he could be quite a cock in real life but what do i really know about all of that y'know, just read stuff, alls i can judge is the music. And what fucking wonderful music it isss, flawless, all yous going on about "average, overrated" fuck offfffffffffffffffff, have you got fuckin ears or what?!?! Jimi's fuckin filler, Jimi's soft tracks piss all over any fuckin guitarist i ever heard.

But seriously, whats shit, what track is shit, someone tell me, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Red House, Can You See Me, with it's mental fuckin cascading drums and the passion in the lyrics and the delivery, thematically speaking it's pretty fuckin bluesy but the song is a fuckin' rock song, or Love & Confusion, is this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE or just uh, DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DAAAHHH!!! confuuusion :lol: Coooooool as y'like.

and Fire, Jesus, turning Fire on is like getting shot out of a rocket, Jimi just fuckin lays into it, it makes my legs shake, it is impossible to sit still to that song. And Highway Chile and fuckin, God, which one of those songs is bad...or average, gimme a break Jimi is the fuckin' boy.

The second album is just fantastic too, probably my favorite actually, not a bad track on it, Castles Made of Sand, Spanish Castle Magic, If 6 was 9, or that other one, think i better wait til tommorowwww "click bang, what a hang, your daddy just shot poor me!" :lol:

Jimi gets flak for his lyrics cuz they're meandering a bit but i think they're just brilliant, they're colourful, they're meaningful, they have a purpose, Jimi can't be judged like other musicians because he was 100 million bajillion percent an artist first and foremost before any and everything else so, y'know, all this puerile little critics criterias that are used when people wanna pick at Jimi are kinda redundant because Jimi was out in the world tryna do his THAAAANGGG :lol: and it was unique and different and unlike anybody or anything else that came before or after.

And this notion that Jimi was some whacked out random note playing mentallist is betrayed by looking at the recording and the WAY he went about recording and the studiousness and the attention to detail and the take after re-take after re-take after re-take, with no regard for the monies being plunged into the shit, just so's Jimi could nail the sound in his head on wax, Jimi knew EXACTLY what the fuck he was doing.

And Electric Ladyland i refuse to even praise because if you don't get it with that album then there's something fuckin wrong with you, maybe you ain't meant to listen to fuckin good music, maybe you're the other side of the seesaw, after all, someone has to make up the number for the dross like fuckin....Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and all those wanky fuckin soft lad bands, cuz you need the shite to make the brilliant that little extra bit specialer.

tl;dr

I think he's boring as hell.

tl;dr

I think he's boring as hell.

And yet Syd Barrett is your idol