Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but does anyone think Episode II and III might have benefited from Darth Maul's presence?

He should of been the "bad guy" in all three films honestly. That was the worst part about ii and iii were that there was no main bad guy. Count Dooku is only in ii and iii for like 5 mins each. The emperor was really cool in the 3rd one. But the emperor should of been the over all bad guy in all the films, they needed darth maul to save grace. ii has a really pointless story that I honestly can't remember, and iii kind of sucked too. the only really cool thing about iii was the over the done lightsaber fights and the emperor .

• Like 1

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but does anyone think Episode II and III might have benefited from Darth Maul's presence?

He should of been the "bad guy" in all three films honestly. That was the worst part about ii and iii were that there was no main bad guy. Count Dooku is only in ii and iii for like 5 mins each. The emperor was really cool in the 3rd one. But the emperor should of been the over all bad guy in all the films, they needed darth maul to save grace. ii has a really pointless story that I honestly can't remember, and iii kind of sucked too. the only really cool thing about iii was the over the done lightsaber fights and the emperor .

Idk man, I think III had plenty of baddies. You had Dooku, Grievious, and then ultimately Palps and Vader. What more do you want?

Episode 1 was OK. Nothing amazing but at least it was coherent and felt like a star wars movie.

Episode 2 was a disaster. Overblown political shit plot, yoda reduced to a jumping elf, awful love story

Episode 3 was a clusterfuck. Way too much going on. The entire rescue scene at the start was probably the worst scene in Star Wars. Felt like it had escaped the editing room floor. The only redeemable thing about this one is Palpatine and the final battle.

Maul was interesting in terms of the potential he had as a character. Obviously the focus is on his look and fighting skills.

If Lucas had Maul as the main antagonist over the three films he could have really fleshed out the character. We barely even get to see Maul using the dark side of the force for fuck sake.

He has like one or two lines yet despite all that he is more of a menace than Dooku and Grievious combined.

The real reason Lucas killed him off is because he was scared that a fleshed out Maul would threaten Vadar as THE Star Wars Villain.

The whole prequel story blows. Considering the overall story - Anakin falling to the dark side and becoming Vader - Lucas somehow managed to fill it out with boring irrelevant shit.

It is appallingly poor storytelling. The potential it had was immense and he totally fucked it up.

• Like 2

Episode 1 was OK. Nothing amazing but at least it was coherent and felt like a star wars movie.

Episode 2 was a disaster. Overblown political shit plot, yoda reduced to a jumping elf, awful love story

Episode 3 was a clusterfuck. Way too much going on. The entire rescue scene at the start was probably the worst scene in Star Wars. Felt like it had escaped the editing room floor. The only redeemable thing about this one is Palpatine and the final battle.

I think I and II are catastrophes.

Episode I is horrible and the most disappointing piece of mass media ever released considering the hype. The story was uninteresting and almost unimportant, all of the characters were awful (Qui- Gon was cool but Obi- Wan did nothing and child Anakin, Amidala, Jar Jar, and everyone else sucked), and the writing was horrendous.

However, it came out when I was in 2nd grade in the height of my Star Wars obsession after the '97 re-releases. Nothing can top that time with all the toys, loving it as a kid, and the memories I have. Nostalgia is a bitch, so Episode I will always have that going for it in my book.

Episode II was another let down, but the blow is lessened considering it came after I. Obi- Wan's subplot had a lot of potential, but Anakin and Padme's relationship is one of the single worst romances in cinematic history. The writing and acting is just so deplorable, it brings the entire film down into the depths of cinematic hell. Other terrible scenes like the droid factory were salt in the wound. Its cool to see more of a resemblance of the OT- like with Jango and Slave I, Clone Troopers, and the Republic fleet, and there were some more cool moments like Yoda and the final battle, but the flaws in this one are just way too much.

Personally, I loved Revenge of the SIth. It has its flaws, but it is worthy of being a Star Wars film. Hayden's performance was much better, Palpatine was awesome throughout it, the final duels were both really well done (in my opinion), way less of a horrible romance, and it had a great ending that leads perfectly to the OT. There are stupid things in it, and there was a lot going on, but it was a war film that depicted a tragedy. Of course a lot would be going on.

The CGI in these also didn't age well, and that doesn't contribute to people liking them. I know they still used a lot of practical effects, but the CGI became overload and it didn't enhance the films, it became the films.

His first mistake was starting the trilogy with Jake Lloyd playing Anakin. What age was he supposed to be? Nine or something. Bullshit Lucas.

He should have been the same age as Luke, already a Jedi padawan on the verge of become a Jedi Knight. None of this midichlorian bullshit.

Have the clone wars kick off in Episode 1. Have a 17 year old Anakin forced into a war situation when he has not quite finished his training. Have him meet Padme and have her the same age as him.

Use the stress of war and the difficult choices you have to make combined with Maul & Sidious fucking with his head and you could have had a great trilogy.

Personally I'd like to have seen Palpatine sending Maul after Anakin's family, brutally murdering them then coming after Padme. Palpatine of course manipulating Anakin so that he will fight Maul and have no choice but to turn to the dark side to defeat him. (A choice that Luke didn't make when fighting Vader)

Then have Obi-Wan try to convert him back, Let them have more than one fight.

The first one Vader could "Win" without actually killing Obi-Wan (Perhaps because he can't and Obi-Wan isn't yet prepared to kill him either)

Obi-Wan tells Yoda he can't kill Vader. Yoda tells him he must.

And I'd throw something unexpected into the works, like Obi-Wan being responsible for Padme dying.

Cue final battle.

Fuck Lucas.

Yup

I wanted to see Vader before the suit rape and pillage in so much as a character can rape and pillage in Star Wars. I wanted to see Vader in the suit come back as an even bigger bastard than the Jedi thought possible. I wanted to see that Vader face off with Mace Windu and force choke him like a bitch.

Instead we got Anakin Skywalker - The Emo Years. Goddamnit.

I'd have also modelled Palpatines rise to power on Hitler and Nazi Germany. Imagine a Nuremburg rally Star Wars style with Palpatine ranting like a fucking maniac in front of hundreds of thousands Stormtroopers etc

It would have been glorious.

Episode I was my favorite of the prequels simply because of the fact that it was filmed on traditional tape cameras and featured mostly real-world practical settings, while the other two prequels were shot with digital cameras mostly in front of a green screen. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the aesthetic of Episode I was closer to the original trilogy than the other two prequels were.

I used to constantly think about what should've been different with the prequels but at this point I've stopped caring. It was Lucas' art and he was allowed to do whatever he wanted with it. Besides, we have a whole bunch of new films to look forward to that will likely learn from the mistakes of the prequels, and Lucas probably would've never authorized for more movies to be made had the prequels not aged so terribly.

So in the end maybe we should be happy the prequels sucked balls. Maybe in the long run, it would feel like it was what was best for the future of Star Wars

• Like 1

His first mistake was starting the trilogy with Jake Lloyd playing Anakin. What age was he supposed to be? Nine or something. Bullshit Lucas.

He should have been the same age as Luke, already a Jedi padawan on the verge of become a Jedi Knight. None of this midichlorian bullshit.

Have the clone wars kick off in Episode 1. Have a 17 year old Anakin forced into a war situation when he has not quite finished his training. Have him meet Padme and have her the same age as him.

Use the stress of war and the difficult choices you have to make combined with Maul & Sidious fucking with his head and you could have had a great trilogy.

Personally I'd like to have seen Palpatine sending Maul after Anakin's family, brutally murdering them then coming after Padme. Palpatine of course manipulating Anakin so that he will fight Maul and have no choice but to turn to the dark side to defeat him. (A choice that Luke didn't make when fighting Vader)

Then have Obi-Wan try to convert him back, Let them have more than one fight.

The first one Vader could "Win" without actually killing Obi-Wan (Perhaps because he can't and Obi-Wan isn't yet prepared to kill him either)

Obi-Wan tells Yoda he can't kill Vader. Yoda tells him he must.

And I'd throw something unexpected into the works, like Obi-Wan being responsible for Padme dying.

Cue final battle.

Fuck Lucas.

Just when I think I couldn't hate the Episodes 1-3 anymore I read something like this. Damn it Lucas!

• Like 1

They filmed 2 scenes of this film less than a mile from my house

. According to a local paper they are:

"...One being a recreation of Ewok's village on the wooded planet of Endor - as seen in Return of the Jedi, And the other, is of Jedi Master Yoda's exile planet of Dagobah"

They film alot of stuff at this site, including Dr. Who and Torchwood. But those don't even come close to the scale and magnitude of Star Wars.