The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

I find myself in a bit of a conundrum.

After I graduated I couldn't get a job in my field because it's extremely competitive and honestly I'm not sure I'm good enough for the 'big leagues' and I was very keen on staying in London which made things especially hard. So I took a job in a different field that's only tangentially related and I've been working and living for about 9 months in small town just outside London. I don't like my job very much. It's safe, stable, the people are ok, the company treats its employees very well, little stress, but I just don't like the work and I really don't see myself making a career out of it. (Also, I hate this town but that's a different point.) So I've been trying to find something else. I haven't put a lot of effort into it, admittedly, sent out applications occasionally, with no success so far.

One of the reasons why I could find it tempting to stick with this company a while longer is that it has a number of offices across the UK. I might take advantage of this and move elsewhere, at least temporary, get a sense of novelty and adventure into my life. I'm getting really sick of England overall (although I still love London). If I wasn't scared of the language barrier I would have left for the Continent already. As it stands, I have some opportunities to get a breath of fresh air: my company has offices outside England in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin. I don't think Glasgow is a realistic option because of the different type of work that they do there, but I could still get to live in Ireland or Scotland, see what that's like.

If I do make that choice I would put off trying to change careers for at least nine months though and I'm already feeling my memories of all I learned in university slipping away. To prepare for a recent interview I had to go back and revise a lot and it's amazing how much I've forgot, even really simple stuff.

My tenancy contract ends at the end of July, so that would be a good point in time to move without much hassle, but that's only a little over three months from now so I would have to make up my mind very very soon.

Anyone got any advice?

Do you want a job but nobody will hire you? Are you getting desperate? Do you have an unimpressive resume? Are your cats making too much noise? I'll tell you what to do...

Print out this picture:

25psjyb.jpg

And write your name and number on it. Then pass it out as a resume. Tell 'em the picture represents the standard of excellence you will be bringing to the position. You're hired. Its that easy.

Edited by Jackamo!
  • Like 1

Today's difficult interview question. "You said that you loved working in mountain biking. What makes you want to work in the property services field?"

My honest answer would have been: "so I no longer have to commute for four frickin hours a day to a job with no prospects, where I'm up-managing drama queens and paying most of my salary in train fares".

Even with my bullshitty answer, I don't think I've got the job.

Today's difficult interview question. "You said that you loved working in mountain biking. What makes you want to work in the property services field?"

My honest answer would have been: "so I no longer have to commute for four frickin hours a day to a job with no prospects, where I'm up-managing drama queens and paying most of my salary in train fares".

Even with my bullshitty answer, I don't think I've got the job.

sometimes companies like it when an applicant throws in a crazy answer. Believe me, I get tired of the same old responses people give "I enjoy being part of a team. I'm a quick learner. I enjoy helping people." If I received your applicant with the answer you put above, that answer alone would have gotten you an interview.

I remember I when I got laid off from my job at the nuke site, I applied for a job at a grocery store, because I needed a fucking job. One of their questions was like, "What similarities could you see between your previous position and here?"

Let's see, what similarities, between being a working lead, removing and packaging hazardous waste, and wearing full PPE, to this job, spraying produce with water? Um, fucking nothing? I think I said something about keeping clean work stations or some bullshit like that.

Whatever, I'm at the best job in the world now and it pays well. So glad I don't have to do interviews anymore (presumably).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fucking narcs. My friend and coworker got fired today. I asked another coworker what happened. Our manager calls me a few minutes later telling me to stop asking questions and talking about what happened.

Ha. Somebody's got a guilty conscience!

I find myself in a bit of a conundrum.

After I graduated I couldn't get a job in my field because it's extremely competitive and honestly I'm not sure I'm good enough for the 'big leagues' and I was very keen on staying in London which made things especially hard. So I took a job in a different field that's only tangentially related and I've been working and living for about 9 months in small town just outside London. I don't like my job very much. It's safe, stable, the people are ok, the company treats its employees very well, little stress, but I just don't like the work and I really don't see myself making a career out of it. (Also, I hate this town but that's a different point.) So I've been trying to find something else. I haven't put a lot of effort into it, admittedly, sent out applications occasionally, with no success so far.

One of the reasons why I could find it tempting to stick with this company a while longer is that it has a number of offices across the UK. I might take advantage of this and move elsewhere, at least temporary, get a sense of novelty and adventure into my life. I'm getting really sick of England overall (although I still love London). If I wasn't scared of the language barrier I would have left for the Continent already. As it stands, I have some opportunities to get a breath of fresh air: my company has offices outside England in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin. I don't think Glasgow is a realistic option because of the different type of work that they do there, but I could still get to live in Ireland or Scotland, see what that's like.

If I do make that choice I would put off trying to change careers for at least nine months though and I'm already feeling my memories of all I learned in university slipping away. To prepare for a recent interview I had to go back and revise a lot and it's amazing how much I've forgot, even really simple stuff.

My tenancy contract ends at the end of July, so that would be a good point in time to move without much hassle, but that's only a little over three months from now so I would have to make up my mind very very soon.

Anyone got any advice?

Go. You might not end up in your first choice location, whichever one that is, and travelling there initially could be a pain, but the money and home situation look a whole lot better than where you are now. Yes, I'm weird. Accept it.

As to the advice, that's up to you, but it's sincere.

Fucking narcs. My friend and coworker got fired today. I asked another coworker what happened. Our manager calls me a few minutes later telling me to stop asking questions and talking about what happened.

What the fuck?!? Say i just asked a question in passing about someone that was there before and now suddenly he aint, no one convening a congressional committee over the shit. You're managers a cock.