Robin Finck, Budapest 2006 Incident

For those who dont know at the wembley show they had loads of midgets on stage for paradise city and Axl had taken ill during nightrain and Baz took over.

One of the midgets came to this forum and said that he saw robin smash a champagne bottle against Axl dressing room after the show.... was he really ill??

Robin has a temper

Were the midgets out there before or after the miniature Stonehenge set was lowered onto the stage? :)
I'd like to raise a practical question at this point. Are we going to do 'Stonehenge' tomorrow?

No, we're not going to FUCKING do 'Stonehenge'!!

• Like 1

For those who dont know at the wembley show they had loads of midgets on stage for paradise city and Axl had taken ill during nightrain and Baz took over.

One of the midgets came to this forum and said that he saw robin smash a champagne bottle against Axl dressing room after the show.... was he really ill??

Robin has a temper

i remember this.

eat my silkworms interviewed one of the little fellows (may have even been that guy) and he said something similar.

everybody has their bad days... i'm sure there was a lot of behind-the-scenes drama we never knew about/will know about.

Wasn't it the Mexico '07 show where Finck was pissed from the start? batman007 can tell us.

Correct. Long story, but he was pissed at Axl backstage. Banging on his door. Yelling that he was going to quit. All this anger due to Axl not wanting to go on stage. I'm sure that wasn't the only time.

Robin has a very strong personality and character. As with anyone he's not perfect, and he's not the easiest person to read or understand sometimes. But overall he is a very sweet guy.

I figure music seems to be a huge outlet for him emotionally and when things go wrong with that, whether it's internal band drama or a technical issue then his feelings come out of him in other less constructive ways.

• Like 1

It's amazing how Robin gets discussed a lot more in GNR forums than NIN's. Even if Robin is nothing more than a footnote on GNR's history and the 2nd most important member in NIN. Interesting stories anyway, working with Axl must be a bigger pain in the ass than working wih Trent.

Wasn't it the Mexico '07 show where Finck was pissed from the start? batman007 can tell us.

Correct. Long story, but he was pissed at Axl backstage. Banging on his door. Yelling that he was going to quit. All this anger due to Axl not wanting to go on stage. I'm sure that wasn't the only time.

Yeah, from what I remember reading, wasn't he on-and-off pissed throughout the tour?

Does anyone have any idea what the date is?

I was there. My first GNR show. The date is: May 31

I have an audio bootleg where the taper actually notices Robin leaves the stage, lol

Btw i never saw this video until this point, thank you

I don't know what really happened, but was funny. I just watched the dvd a few days ago. Pretty cool recording!

During Welcome To the Jungle Robin threw his micstand and also Tommy's and Richard's micstands.

V47kz7W.jpg

W3jQxQr.jpg

The crew guys put everything in place, but then during Mr. Brownstone Robin threw his micstand again. Tom Mayhue seemed pissed off too

Hf8w8Wv.jpg

DVD? wtd? I never knew a full DVD exist (only some songs popped up in good quality on some site years ago and from a different angle...)

Can you give me a link where i can download this?

I was there, fifth row on the center and I didn't notice anything. I guess I stared at Axl. :lol:

I don't know what really happened, but was funny. I just watched the dvd a few days ago. Pretty cool recording!

During Welcome To the Jungle Robin threw his micstand and also Tommy's and Richard's micstands.

V47kz7W.jpg

W3jQxQr.jpg

The crew guys put everything in place, but then during Mr. Brownstone Robin threw his micstand again. Tom Mayhue seemed pissed off too

Hf8w8Wv.jpg

:wow::wow::wow::wow:

I'm looking for this DVD for years. Is there download link somewhere? If not, can you upload?

Are you from Hungary? :lol:

That happens when you're charged up and ready to go onstage to perform for thousands of people but your singer makes the whole lot of you wait four or five hours before taking the stage...or so I've heard.

We waited 3 and a half hours for the concert...A lot of people going home and ask their money back...Axl's back is in pain so he have to get cured or something like this...He wasn't even arrived in the country when the official start time comes, lol

Edited by Crash Diet

i was at that mex show you guys are discussing (it was actually @monterrey and it was the first show back from like a 6 month or so break). Band didnt look good, everybody seemed pissed (and wasted).

What is this animosity between robin and bbf you guys are talking about? is this part of the general "everybody vs bbf" thing , or was it something else? i had heard about them (bbf and robin) becoming more friendly after robin left, but nothing about a direct feud between 'em. More info?

Shows why they don't need 3 guitarists. 1 guy leaves, it still sounds the same.

Sounds totally different to me. The tone, the approach, everything. Different person, different feel.

Agree. Shows why they do need 3 guitarists. Not that they wouldn't pull off decently the songs with 2 guitarists (as long as Dj isn't one of them), but the 3 guitars are just a part of GN'R since a long time ago.

• Like 1

Appetite, as most people here know, had 3 guitars. Old Guns sounded empty live in songs like Nightrain sometimes. It still sounded fuckin' great cause of the chemistry, and also because Slash fills the spaces quite nicely as a guitar player. But it doesn't match the fullness of say, Nightrain Rock Am Ring 2006, even if the old line up blazed through it brilliantly, many Guns songs benefit from 3 guitars imo.

• Like 1

I was there, fifth row on the center and I didn't notice anything. I guess I stared at Axl. :lol:

I'm looking for this DVD for years. Is there download link somewhere? If not, can you upload?

That happens when you're charged up and ready to go onstage to perform for thousands of people but your singer makes the whole lot of you wait four or five hours before taking the stage...or so I've heard.

We waited 3 and a half hours for the concert...A lot of people going home and ask their money back...Axl's back is in pain so he have to get cured or something like this...He wasn't even arrived in the country when the official start time comes, lol

No, but I am close.

I waited from 18 to 23:30 in line, that was painful. :D I have Jungle, Brownstone, Better, Madagascar, Don't Cry, LALD and Pradise City videos with Critical Solution mark and audio bootleg. You?

• 2 weeks later...

No, but I am close.

I waited from 18 to 23:30 in line, that was painful. :D I have Jungle, Brownstone, Better, Madagascar, Don't Cry, LALD and Pradise City videos with Critical Solution mark and audio bootleg. You?

Haha i remember :D Yeah, i only have the critical soulution videos and the audio bootleg (lot of chatting between the songs)

Seems pretty clear it was technical difficulties. Robin got pissed because he couldn't hear himself, even though he tried to explain since long before.

It was Ron, yes, and yes, he also played the final riff but sounded out of place :lol:
I was kinda surprised because he did not have time to learn his parts on the new songs, let alone Robin's parts so he just improvised over it.

Maddy from this show had the best ending ever.

Oh, I have to say - Rich had always done a poor job at tempting Bucket's solo here. The solo is not bad, but by no means as good as Bucket's. However, his wah wah pedal effect is greatly exaggerated and the reberb/echo/whatever tries too hard to impress but sounds, yes, exaggerated and takes away from the original solo instead of making it better.

I agree with everything. And yeah, this Madagascar ending was fucking amazing. And his voice back then.. just wow.

• Like 1

Seems pretty clear it was technical difficulties. Robin got pissed because he couldn't hear himself, even though he tried to explain since long before.

It was Ron, yes, and yes, he also played the final riff but sounded out of place :lol:

I was kinda surprised because he did not have time to learn his parts on the new songs, let alone Robin's parts so he just improvised over it.

Maddy from this show had the best ending ever.

Oh, I have to say - Rich had always done a poor job at tempting Bucket's solo here. The solo is not bad, but by no means as good as Bucket's. However, his wah wah pedal effect is greatly exaggerated and the reberb/echo/whatever tries too hard to impress but sounds, yes, exaggerated and takes away from the original solo instead of making it better.

I agree with everything. And yeah, this Madagascar ending was fucking amazing. And his voice back then.. just wow.

Considering that you pointed me out years ago the technical part of what I'm talking about, I'm glad you agree with me! :lol:

Wow!!! Robin had a sudden attack of 80´s Metal Bands trashing guitars on stage. I feel for Axl. He wanted so badly to put that behind him. And here comes Robin with that attitude. :rofl-lol:

But it wasnt for show, like Ashba. He was really pissed. It's confirmed that the few times he did this there were technical problems that weren't fixed and he got frustrated.

• Like 1