Requesting evidence of Richard Fortus being an exceptional guitarist

Richard is just an extremely steady and versatile guitar player.

This! I wouldn't call him exceptional, that's more for the guys like Slash or Bucket, but he's a really skilled guy and knows what he's doing.

lol at someone calling slash exceptional. i

But he is.

Where's your proof? I've heard Bucket play it all. Slash is only good at blues lets be honest. Plus, his ability to create music is below par. Bucket exceeds in all categories. Please prove to me he is exceptional. I'll post SS from BH and it surpasses anything Slash ever wrote. Edited by iftheworld

This! I wouldn't call him exceptional, that's more for the guys like Slash or Bucket, but he's a really skilled guy and knows what he's doing.

But he is.

Where's your proof? I've heard Bucket play it all. Slash is only good at blues lets be honest. Plus, his ability to create music is below par. Bucket exceeds in all categories. Please prove to me he is exceptional. I'll post SS from BH and it surpasses anything Slash ever wrote.

Since this is a GNR forum and you are a leader of Axl Rose defence force volcano, you should know that if Slash doesn't existed your fav. guitarist in GNR doesn't get a single penny covering Slash's work...

You over compensate your obvious trolling skills with these kind of statements

But he is.

Where's your proof? I've heard Bucket play it all. Slash is only good at blues lets be honest. Plus, his ability to create music is below par. Bucket exceeds in all categories. Please prove to me he is exceptional. I'll post SS from BH and it surpasses anything Slash ever wrote.

Not a big fan of GNR eh?

I like how we are requesting BBF and 4tus evidence since Ashba got a fairly bad ride in his thread. I think people appreciate that when 4tus gets a solo opportunity he rarely butchers it or completely ruins the vibe of it. We simply do not see enough of him to make a prudent judgement, on GNR performance he is superior to Ashba and many would prefer him doing Ashba's parts. We have precious little else to judge him by plus he doesn't have a gratingly fake schtick or manufactured try too hard attitude, just that lethal windmill move and his tribal clad six pack with those shirts hanging off him. He seems a reserved fellow who does a competent job.

I'll check some of these vids soon to have a look at 4tus in other zones, I have no doubt he is a very capable player but no idea if he's better than Ashba apart from his GNR tenure so I'm trying to keep it level. Finck would be an interesting thread too, I know he played on some NIN records but what did he contribute since Trent's a control freak and how's his solo record coming along?

I wouldn't put Bucket, Slash and Fortus in the same boat...

The second video posted earlier in this thread by the Dead Daisies "lock and loaded" had Slash play on it in the studio. So even in another band Fortus has to cover Slash. He is a great player but does lack that it factor even if he does have crazy chops.

Richard is a fantastic guitarist. WTH sparked this thread?

He's played on so many albums/records/projects, how could you discount the guy?

Something somewhat interesting: I know someone who receives sporatic guitar lessons from him, and he mentioned 4tus being much more involved guitar-wise on the "newer" GnR tracks.

I had this talk with a dude a few weeks ago. Way too lazy to get into it again but Richard is definatly a master at guitar. Look up him doing those gear demos and rig run downs and the like. He knows his stuff and has a really unique way of playing.

Unfortunatly, he doesn't seem to use this in a writing capacity. He is capable of way more than whay he does.

But yeah, he is far closer in skill to a guy like Bucket and Ron to someone like DJ or even Robin

Seriously. All I've heard from him is his playing at GNR shows and I don't see where people get the idea that he's some amazing guitarist. He's got stage presence. What else?

GOing by just GNR performances. His solo spots show his talents far more than DJ or Bumble or Slash.

You dont need to shred or pose to be a great guitarist. Izzy, he is awesome guitarist as well (imo Fortus is better than all gnr guitarists and perfect blend of rhythmic styles and timing of Izzy, can do the bog standard blues rock that Slash does, can solo, finger pick, slide, and shred - albeit perhaps not in the buckethead/foruts realm i dunno - and appears to have passion and soul behind it all).

Richard is a fantastic guitarist. WTH sparked this thread?

He's played on so many albums/records/projects, how could you discount the guy?

Something somewhat interesting: I know someone who receives sporatic guitar lessons from him, and he mentioned 4tus being much more involved guitar-wise on the "newer" GnR tracks.

I think what sparked the thread is that we always hear that he's involved in lots of stuff, but somehow nobody seems to post it or know about it. I know he's been a respected touring guitarist for some big names, but I really haven't heard much of his "studio" stuff outside what I already posted really.

If there's some examples of exceptional non-GN'R material that he's played on, post it! That's what sparked the thread. :)

• Like 2

He's a great player in the way session guitarists are : he masters all styles, he is extremely versatile, consistent and technically proficient.

While he doesn't seem to have a very defined style of his own, he is a very tasty melodical player capable of technical prowess who absolutely masters and knows his gear.

As far as "exceptionnal" goes, I think what impressed me most besides the melodical GnR jams in-between songs are his lead guitar work while he was touring with Thin Lizzy.

He not only did the parts justice but his improvised parts were really, really good.

Regarding his song writing skills : I only own the first Honky Toast album and yes it's good. Waiting for the new Dead Daisies EP but I already really enjoy the new songs live.

EDIT: David Bowie wanted him in his band so I suppose that speaks volumes about the kind of guitarist Fortus really is.

Edited by The Glow Inc.
  • Like 1