Why I find Slash incredibly frustrating as a solo artist.

Towelie

I feel like Slash's current way of writing is to come up with with a decent riff and then write a generic song for it without much thought. WoF, which I mostly enjoy, is full of songs that have 2-3 killer riffs that don't fit together or with the rest of the song. Verses with nothing going on in them (not in the soft loud soft style of song, either), just a quick interlude before getting back to the chorus riff. It kind of feels like Slash's approach to writing is "this is cool, good enough, lets record now". His post two Conspirators albums feel like a conscious effort to not put too much thought or time into any one song.

Which, of course, leads to 15-17 song albums which could be cut down to 12-13, with the time spent on those extra filler songs that could have been spent making the good songs better.

Pretty much this word for word.

I'd disagree; I think it may be too much of Slash whereas with Guns, VR, and Snakepit he had someone else's "voice" on rythm guitar rather than him playing both.

I feel like Slash's current way of writing is to come up with with a decent riff and then write a generic song for it without much thought. WoF, which I mostly enjoy, is full of songs that have 2-3 killer riffs that don't fit together or with the rest of the song. Verses with nothing going on in them (not in the soft loud soft style of song, either), just a quick interlude before getting back to the chorus riff. It kind of feels like Slash's approach to writing is "this is cool, good enough, lets record now". His post two Conspirators albums feel like a conscious effort to not put too much thought or time into any one song.

Which, of course, leads to 15-17 song albums which could be cut down to 12-13, with the time spent on those extra filler songs that could have been spent making the good songs better.

I'd disagree; I think it may be too much of Slash whereas with Guns, VR, and Snakepit he had someone else's "voice" on rythm guitar rather than him playing both.
Although, to be fair, Myles played rhythm on Apocalyptic Love.

I could get behind this as well. I'm not sure how much of the Conspirators actually contribute to the writing process.

They put in their 2 cents here and there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsAjUpxP2LQ

I think Myles has co-writing credit on pretty much everything on AL and WOF (save maybe Safari Inn since it's an instrumental and he didn't play guitar on WOF. And I think Todd has a co-writing credit on one of the WOF songs, too). I haven't looked at WOF notes closely, but I know AL he and Slash are co-writers on all. I'd say they have a pretty good amount of input.

They put in their 2 cents here and there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsAjUpxP2LQ

I think Myles has co-writing credit on pretty much everything on AL and WOF (save maybe Safari Inn since it's an instrumental and he didn't play guitar on WOF. And I think Todd has a co-writing credit on one of the WOF songs, too). I haven't looked at WOF notes closely, but I know AL he and Slash are co-writers on all. I'd say they have a pretty good amount of input.

For Apocalyptic Love Slash has credits for the music and Myles for the vocals I think, even if it's not listed separately.

It's probably the same with WOF. With exception of Safari Inn and Shadow Life

I could get behind this as well. I'm not sure how much of the Conspirators actually contribute to the writing process.

quite a bit from the interviews I've read

Although, to be fair, Myles played rhythm on Apocalyptic Love.

true enough, but Slash has also said that of all the rythm guitarists he's played with, he has the best chemistry with Izzy, and ironically enough, most would agree Slash wrote his best stuff with Izzy.

most would agree Slash wrote his best stuff with Izzy.

A lot of that was Slash writing parts to compliment the ideas Izzy's brought in. Izzy was the more prolific initiator of songs back then. Slash would just take those and make them heavier and turn them into more riff based hard rock.

^ Agreed. It's a great song. The movie was shit, though.

First heard it on Conan. I'm not a huge Myles fan, but he kills this performance. Must watch.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x158m0t_slash-myles-kennedy-nothing-left-to-fear-live-conan-o-brien-26-09-2013_music

Don't know how to embed that video. :(

I just edited your post. Killer performance.

A lot of that was Slash writing parts to compliment the ideas Izzy's brought in. Izzy was the more prolific initiator of songs back then. Slash would just take those and make them heavier and turn them into more riff based hard rock.

That's another myth along the likes of Axl being a perfectionist.

I don't know about myth, you can definitely hear it in the songs they did together, and the songs they did apart afterwards.

I don't know about myth, you can definitely hear it in the songs they did together, and the songs they did apart afterwards.

Still, Slash brought in a ton of great riffs that were the foundation to classic Guns songs. WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City and many more.

Izzy was crucial to the construction of Appetite as well. Out Ta Get Me, Brownstone, My Michelle, You're Crazy, Nightrain. All songs Slash made 10 times better imo. They were the perfect guitar duo.

Even Ghost has some of that magic. Like it sounds right, it fits their 2 distinct guitar styles create something unique.

I wish the Illusions had that guitar interplay.

Crazy that one of the best musical elements about Guns was Izzy and Slash weaving together riffs, leads, and chords and that wasn't a part of UYI.

Edited by Rovim

Still, Slash brought in a ton of great riffs that were the foundation to classic Guns songs. WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City and many more.

Izzy was crucial to the construction of Appetite as well. Out Ta Get Me, Brownstone, My Michelle, You're Crazy, Nightrain. All songs Slash made 10 times better imo. They were the perfect guitar duo.

Even Ghost has some of that magic. Like it sounds right, it fits their 2 distinct guitar styles create something unique.

Crazy that one of the best musical elements about Guns was Izzy and Slash weaving together riffs, leads, and chords and that wasn't a part of UYI.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Duff write the Jungle riff?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Duff write the Jungle riff?

Nah, that was Slash. And Slash also said the little intro delay riff that is now one of the most recognizable intros to a rock song was just one of the first things he fiddled around with when he got his Boss delay pedal. (I believe he still uses it to this day the DD-3 model if I'm not mistaken)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Watching Rock Am Ring 2015 and that Roxy Show...

The band sounds tired, man. Slash needs to change shit up! I don't think I'm gonna bother seeing them when they swing through Vancouver this fall.

None of the songs seem to have legs... maybe Anastasia and Back From Cali. At least that Moshcam Sydney show just exuded energy and excitement from band and crowd. I literally cannot watch this band play YCBM for it's full duration. It just drones on.

I would be over the fucking moon excited if Slash joined a band that didn't have Slash in the name.

The band sounds tired, man. Slash needs to change shit up! I don't think I'm gonna bother seeing them when they swing through Vancouver this fall.

None of the songs seem to have legs... maybe Anastasia and Back From Cali. At least that Moshcam Sydney show just exuded energy and excitement from band and crowd. I literally cannot watch this band play YCBM for it's full duration. It just drones on.

I would be over the fucking moon excited if Slash joined a band that didn't have Slash in the name.

They were incredible when I last saw them in like 2013. Crazy to think that was 2 years ago and they haven't let up since. Maybe they do need a break

They were incredible when I last saw them in like 2013. Crazy to think that was 2 years ago and they haven't let up since. Maybe they do need a break

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that. I opted to not want to go to three of the shows they are having in SoCal in the fall, this year, for various reasons (mainly, because I just don't think the overall experience will wow me as much as the 1st time I went last year, even though they will probably still play great and provide more WOF songs). I wouldn't mind it if Myles could get that solo album out and do an acoustic tour (I would be for that more than a Slash/Myles/Conspirators show).

Also, I feel like Alter Bridge needs to really commit a little more in terms of live shows for their 5th album cycle. One long-time AB fan that writes good articles for them pretty much said it best, "Fortress’ tour felt like it came and went in a heartbeat due to other commitments," and when I saw them at the LA show, which at this point is the last show of out eighty-something shows for the Fortress album, I was like "they looked really good and, maybe, they could have a couple more rounds in certain parts of the world before calling it an album tour, but other obligations happened so it's a no-go." Just my two cents here. Don't mind me.

Edited by Anguyen92

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that. I opted to not want to go to three of the shows they are having in SoCal in the fall, this year, for various reasons (mainly, because I just don't think the overall experience will wow me as much as the 1st time I went last year, even though they will probably still play great and provide more WOF songs). I wouldn't mind it if Myles could get that solo album out and do an acoustic tour (I would be for that more than a Slash/Myles/Conspirators show).

Also, I feel like Alter Bridge needs to really commit a little more in terms of live shows for their 5th album cycle. One long-time AB fan that writes good articles for them pretty much said it best, "Fortress’ tour felt like it came and went in a heartbeat due to other commitments," and when I saw them at the LA show, which at this point is the last show of out eighty-something shows for the Fortress album, I was like "they looked really good and, maybe, they could have a couple more rounds in certain parts of the world before calling it an album tour, but other obligations happened so it's a no-go." Just my two cents here. Don't mind me.

Yeah, I agree. I saw the Fortress tour last Fall. It was great, but it was over a year after the album came out and in the middle of Slash dates and Tremonti dates