Best performance of Estranged '11-'14?

I like rock in rios performance only because he seemed to try to sing the whispering parts with some sort of feeling. Also the first verse after the breakdown he uses his chest voice instead of his falsetto that he used on every performance of that song after that (sounds better imo. Not that good, but better)

Edited by Mendez

I was at this show, and when I heard him sing the last minute of the song I wondered why he couldn't do the whole second half of the song this way.

You guys will laugh at me be its only one minute of good singing if that, but he sings it with rasp from 8:12 on. I liked the power here. It was a weird night. He sang PC with mixed rasp throughout. It was like his voice was on the brink of going full rasp haha great night though.

• Like 3

I was at this show, and when I heard him sing the last minute of the song I wondered why he couldn't do the whole second half of the song this way.

You guys will laugh at me be its only one minute of good singing if that, but he sings it with rasp from 8:12 on. I liked the power here. It was a weird night. He sang PC with mixed rasp throughout. It was like his voice was on the brink of going full rasp haha great night though.

Ah man I remember that. It's like he just really started to get into it at that time. I remember there was also a great Nightrain performance, it gave me hope he'd show in 2014 slimmer and much like early 2012 (Philly show, etc). Ah well.. he got there eventually.

Well anyway, this has to be one of my favourites of recent years. This and the Philly show.

@mrsoftie

I agree, summer 2013 felt like things were going good vocally. Not good, but it was an improvement. The Brooklyn You're Crazy is amazing, and nigh train sounded good on the tour. It was all leading up to the governors ball which I thought he might hit one out of the park. I guess he got sick at the Brooklyn show and his voice faded. But overall a positive tour that had one of my favorite shows which was in Buffalo where the winds we're so high Axl had to perform with no hat the whole show!

Not to mention the tour shirt from these shows is the best, nice and simple black and white shirt that says guns n roses.

(Sorry for getting off topic a bit)

I never liked how Ron Played the Gtr melody. And I don't think Axl really nailed it, some good performances but not of the same level as the old line up. Slash wrote the part and just played it better, more than just this note goes here and this note goes there, Bumble was pretty good for not just learning a piece of music cold, but I don't think he did his best work on learning Estranged... But! Big Kudos to him for getting it back in the set!! let us not forget that!!

For a moment there I thought Gilby was playing the bass!

On topic, I've never liked the classic lineup performance of Estranged, at least not that much. Same goes for the new lineup because of Axl's voice when it was brought back on the set. Now in 2010, imagine that...

Philadelphia 12 was alright, along with Bufalo.

For a moment there I thought Gilby was playing the bass!

On topic, I've never liked the classic lineup performance of Estranged, at least not that much. Same goes for the new lineup because of Axl's voice when it was brought back on the set. Now in 2010, imagine that...

I know what you mean, and I think the new band could really kill it, but Axl wasn't in good enough shape vocally or physically I think to ever really nail it in '11. But 2009 or 2010, that would really have been something.

Also, surprised at people saying BBF was soulless on the song. If it's one thing he doesn't lack in it's that.

From 11-14, Philadelphia Is pretty good. 2010 would have definately been the year for Estranged to make It's way back Into the setlist. Axl's voice was probably as good as It was In his prime, maybe better. I think this Is the best version Of Estranged that I have ever heard and this Is after spending more hours then I can recall trying to find the best version.

@mrsoftie

I agree, summer 2013 felt like things were going good vocally. Not good, but it was an improvement. The Brooklyn You're Crazy is amazing, and nigh train sounded good on the tour. It was all leading up to the governors ball which I thought he might hit one out of the park. I guess he got sick at the Brooklyn show and his voice faded. But overall a positive tour that had one of my favorite shows which was in Buffalo where the winds we're so high Axl had to perform with no hat the whole show!

Not to mention the tour shirt from these shows is the best, nice and simple black and white shirt that says guns n roses.

(Sorry for getting off topic a bit)

See, I don't think 2013 was all that good vocally. Buffalo was very good, and to be honest I thought Axl sounded pretty good for the most part at Governors Ball. Obviously You're Crazy at the Brooklyn Bowl was the shining moment vocally in 2013, but the rest of the gig went downhill fast. But other than those, I don't recall watching any videos from other shows and thinking "Hey, Axl sounds pretty good here". All in all, I'd say 2013 was the worst year vocally post-2010.

I guess Ron bought back the song to the setlist, but his guitar tone was really awful while playing this song.

And there were people on this board saying "Estranged is Ron's baby."

I think you're taking that quote a little out of context. In the sense that Ron is probably the only reason the song ever got played live again, it sort of makes sense (Although I do admit it's a grossly exaggerated statement). I don't think anyone (Even volcano) was arguing that Ron is the only reason Estranged is an amazing song.

@Powerage5

I completely agree! 2013 was a mess, the Australian leg was terrible, and Axl was inconsistent throughout the year. However when I saw him during the summer leg I felt like he was really trying. There wasn't much coasting. He was going for rasp but it wasn't there at times. Then other times he would do pretty good.

I guess my best example of this would be

He had rasp, but it would just fade at times. I really felt like he was trying to find it though. I guess I appreciated the effort more than anything. And honestly the songs that didn't sound as good were RQ, YCBM, NR, SCOM, Don't cry ending, Better. The other parts of the set list he can still hit, but he didn't seem to make any progress on the songs I listed, and still hasn't...although Better sounded good last year.