Vegas General Help (Flights, hotels, food, shows, etc)

23 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Looks like I am staying at the Mandalay Bay now! Got a decent deal on a suite which will fit 3 people better. It's further away but no biggie. Seems nice

Well played!

15 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

Just reserved my rental car so all things are officially covered!!! I'm flying down on the 5th and got tickets to a couple shows so with free parking everywhere a car is a no brainer.

I did the same thing since I'll be there such a short time. It was like $38 to get a car for length of time I'll be there. It's roughly $15 each way for a cab ride to/from McCarran, so I figured why not just get a car?

34 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

Just reserved my rental car so all things are officially covered!!! I'm flying down on the 5th and got tickets to a couple shows so with free parking everywhere a car is a no brainer.

Free Parking everywhere goes away April 6th....all MGM properties will be charging $10 to self park starting at that point in time.

34 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Free Parking everywhere goes away April 6th....all MGM properties will be charging $10 to self park starting at that point in time.

Where did you find the exact date? I was looking myself and dates were all over the place. I did read however they will be up to $10 but you still can jump from resort to resort in 24 hrs and only be charged once. So $10 a day is no problem. It's also time based under 24 hrs so if you pop in for an hour it will be less. Also I am a mLife member and it sounds like fees can easily be waived for mLife. The freedom of a car in Vegas is worth every penny. You can't walk from Aria to Freemont street it's way to far. The amount of waiting around paying for cabs in town to and from airport and not being able to enjoy stuff off the strip is well worth the $100 I got a car for the 5 days I'll be there

Edited by oachs83

3 hours ago, oachs83 said:

Where did you find the exact date? I was looking myself and dates were all over the place. I did read however they will be up to $10 but you still can jump from resort to resort in 24 hrs and only be charged once. So $10 a day is no problem. It's also time based under 24 hrs so if you pop in for an hour it will be less. Also I am a mLife member and it sounds like fees can easily be waived for mLife. The freedom of a car in Vegas is worth every penny. You can't walk from Aria to Freemont street it's way to far. The amount of waiting around paying for cabs in town to and from airport and not being able to enjoy stuff off the strip is well worth the $100 I got a car for the 5 days I'll be there

Exactly- It's $10/24 hours.  Who cares?  If I go to a hockey game or a concert in my town (Minneapolis) I'm bending over and paying $20 (minimum) for 3-4 hours.  And I'm walking 2-3 blocks.   Also- your Mlife, they'll take are of that fee, or some of the fee's depending how long you park there.  Although with that all said- the nickel and dimeing in Vegas is starting to irritate me.

4 hours ago, oachs83 said:

It is noted on several hotel websites....it is also the date when the arena opens.  At any rate, totally understand why you'd want to get a car...just don't want people surprised when they have to pay for parking.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tsinindy said:

It is noted on several hotel websites....it is also the date when the arena opens.  At any rate, totally understand why you'd want to get a car...just don't want people surprised when they have to pay for parking.  

It's so easy to get around Vegas with an all day bus pass, shuttle....or even Uber can get you pretty much anywhere around Vegas for $10.  

By the time you factor in the cost of the car rental, parking ....and if you're drinking you won't want to drive anyway....doesn't seem worth renting a car IMO

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

It's so easy to get around Vegas with an all day bus pass, shuttle....or even Uber can get you pretty much anywhere around Vegas for $10.  

By the time you factor in the cost of the car rental, parking ....and if you're drinking you won't want to drive anyway....doesn't seem worth renting a car IMO

I am of this opinion as well....I specifically looked at renting a car this trip and while it would certainly save me a few pennies, I just didn't personally feel it was worth it.  One factor is the drinking aspect as I don't want to be out and afraid of having a few or quite a few pops and then have to worry about driving.  So, i'm going to do a combo of Uber/Lyft, bus, monorail and taxis to get around :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Each to their own, but I would never get a car in Vegas.   I never leave the strip.  And, even if you do take a cab, unless you are solo it's cheap.   

Edited by Original
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

18 hours ago, Original said:

Each to their own, but I would never get a car in Vegas.   I never leave the strip.  And, even if you do take a cab, unless you are solo it's cheap.   

If I was popping in Friday and leaving Sunday I probably wouldn't get one either. Each situation is different like I said I will be there April 5th. My first night stay is at The Hard Rock because it was $54 after fees when I booked, I then got 2 free nights Wednesday and Thursday at NYNY because of mLife. I got tickets to the Rock of ages show at the Rio, I plan to go to Freemont st, Counts Customs, and the Hoover Dam. Factor in all those things I am doing off strip $100 for my entire stay renting a car will be more than worth it. Just the cost of going to and from the airport as well as the Dam is about $100 right there. No waiting for buses or being on somebody else's schedule and being on my own schedule during my vacation is well worth it. Again that is my situation everybody's is different. I am not a huge drinker in the first place and I am not going to drink Friday night at the show. I have waited my entire life to see my favorite band of all time I will be sober and enjoying it all and remembering it all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

If I was popping in Friday and leaving Sunday I probably wouldn't get one either. Each situation is different like I said I will be there April 5th. My first night stay is at The Hard Rock because it was $54 after fees when I booked, I then got 2 free nights Wednesday and Thursday at NYNY because of mLife. I got tickets to the Rock of ages show at the Rio, I plan to go to Freemont st, Counts Customs, and the Hoover Dam. Factor in all those things I am doing off strip $100 for my entire stay renting a car will be more than worth it. Just the cost of going to and from the airport as well as the Dam is about $100 right there. No waiting for buses or being on somebody else's schedule and being on my own schedule during my vacation is well worth it. Again that is my situation everybody's is different. I am not a huge drinker in the first place and I am not going to drink Friday night at the show. I have waited my entire life to see my favorite band of all time I will be sober and enjoying it all and remembering it all.

For all you're doing, a car is well worth it!

• Like 1

One other thing I forgot to mention if your hoping hotels like I am (I will be at 3 different hotels during) to save a few bucks a car is killer. You have to be out of the room at 11am latest. You can't check in until 3pm to the other hotel. Sure rooms are usually ready earlier but not always and I sometimes leave earlier than 11am. So it sucks if your going to carry luggage around for the next couple hours, not with a car. Throw that badboy in the trunk and have no worries until you check in. 

5 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

One other thing I forgot to mention if your hoping hotels like I am (I will be at 3 different hotels during) to save a few bucks a car is killer. You have to be out of the room at 11am latest. You can't check in until 3pm to the other hotel. Sure rooms are usually ready earlier but not always and I sometimes leave earlier than 11am. So it sucks if your going to carry luggage around for the next couple hours, not with a car. Throw that badboy in the trunk and have no worries until you check in. 

Or leave it with the front desk at the hotel until your room is ready. 

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

This works as well...I've left luggage at the bell desk in Vegas at a hotel I wasn't staying at before.  They'll give you a claim check, just come back and get it when you want it.  There is no charge, but be sure to tip A buck or two or five for each piece of luggage :)

I've booked at the Super 8. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

i was pleased with the price and it seems local to the arena and the airport.

is it a fairly safe area? Am I better getting cabs to/from arena? Looks to be within walking distance

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

Yup you sure can do that. I like the convenience though. For example I will be going from the Hard Rock to NYNY, so I would have to take a cab to NYNY in the morning leaving Hard Rock to NYNY just to drop of my bags, what if I wanted to grab breakfast at Cabo Wabo or The Hash House? So now I get on a tram and or another cab to reach said destination and then go back to NYNY to check in etc. Or I can just hop in my car go directly to where I want to grab breakfast, do whatever else I want to do until check in. Go directly to the Hotel to check in then get on with my vacation. Just less messing around and time wasting and more me enjoying my vacation. Vacation is to enjoy yourself and not worry about saving 5 bucks here or there. It's about treating yourself for the work and daily grind one puts in the rest of the year and I will not be wasting it by penny pinching that will take up hours of my time to save a couple bucks. If one is going to stay in the general NYNY/Bellagio strip area the whole time then yes you do not need a car but my situation it is saving a lot of money having a car. 

6 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

Yup you sure can do that. I like the convenience though. For example I will be going from the Hard Rock to NYNY, so I would have to take a cab to NYNY in the morning leaving Hard Rock to NYNY just to drop of my bags, what if I wanted to grab breakfast at Cabo Wabo or The Hash House? So now I get on a tram and or another cab to reach said destination and then go back to NYNY to check in etc. Or I can just hop in my car go directly to where I want to grab breakfast, do whatever else I want to do until check in. Go directly to the Hotel to check in then get on with my vacation. Just less messing around and time wasting and more me enjoying my vacation. Vacation is to enjoy yourself and not worry about saving 5 bucks here or there. It's about treating yourself for the work and daily grind one puts in the rest of the year and I will not be wasting it by penny pinching that will take up hours of my time to save a couple bucks. If one is going to stay in the general NYNY/Bellagio strip area the whole time then yes you do not need a car but my situation it is saving a lot of money having a car. 

The hotel changing is what I call 'the aggregation factor'.  No way I'm doing that.    *unless I'm saving a lot of money.   Like $300 or more.  That time spent fucking around is Vegas time.  IE- pools, gambling, checking out Vegas.   Drinking.  Having fun....

50 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

I've booked at the Super 8. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

i was pleased with the price and it seems local to the arena and the airport.

is it a fairly safe area? Am I better getting cabs to/from arena? Looks to be within walking distance

Which Super 8 are you at?  There is one way off strip, one by the Air Force Base, one North Strip area and one at Ellis Island on Koval Street.

I'm going to assume you are at the Super 8 at Ellis Island on Koval.  That area is very safe.  It is about a 25 minute walk to the arena from there....or a very short walk across the street to the Bally's Monorail station and you can ride the Monorail up to MGM for $5 and then you'll have a ten minute walk or so to the arena.

A cab would probably be $12 to $15 with tip and Uber/Lyft should be under $8 to $10.  

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Original said:

The hotel changing is what I call 'the aggregation factor'.  No way I'm doing that.    *unless I'm saving a lot of money.   Like $300 or more.  That time spent fucking around is Vegas time.  IE- pools, gambling, checking out Vegas.   Drinking.  Having fun....

As I am saving, I stated earlier I got 2 nights at NYNY for free and the Hard Rock for $54 after fees on Tuesday. I'm at the Monte on Friday. I'm staying 4 nights in Vegas for under $250 that's including resort fees so yeah it is worth it for me. I can't stay 2 nights at the Loews or Foshay in Minny for under $300. Which btw I will be at 1st ave April 2nd checking out Gary Clark Jr.

2 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

As I am saving, I stated earlier I got 2 nights at NYNY for free and the Hard Rock for $54 after fees on Tuesday. I'm at the Monte on Friday. I'm staying 4 nights in Vegas for under $250 that's including resort fees so yeah it is worth it for me. I can't stay 2 nights at the Loews or Foshay in Minny for under $300. Which btw I will be at 1st ave April 2nd checking out Gary Clark Jr.

You got a good deal...and I kinda like the idea of switching properties around myself......but to each his own :)

11 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

Hey- good for you. If your happy that's all that matters.  Vegas will be fun for all! Cheers....

• Like 1

so, from what I am reading the general consensus is that if you are flying in early such as on the 6th and not flying back out until late the evening of the 10th that it is probably just best to rent a car?? From looking at the prices of public transportation and being responsible for myself and 2 other people, I think I would come out cheaper renting a car. Now that I'm bringing the family with me, I think its going to be my cheapest option. I'm kind of just talking out loud to myself, but for anyone that's spent time in Vegas with friends and family, would you care to comment? I see the monorail at $36 for a 4 day pass, are there any other public transportation available that I am not aware of asides from Uber or a cab?? Thanks..

Edited by systronic
added to post

8 hours ago, systronic said:

so, from what I am reading the general consensus is that if you are flying in early such as on the 6th and not flying back out until late the evening of the 10th that it is probably just best to rent a car?? From looking at the prices of public transportation and being responsible for myself and 2 other people, I think I would come out cheaper renting a car. Now that I'm bringing the family with me, I think its going to be my cheapest option. I'm kind of just talking out loud to myself, but for anyone that's spent time in Vegas with friends and family, would you care to comment? I see the monorail at $36 for a 4 day pass, are there any other public transportation available that I am not aware of asides from Uber or a cab?? Thanks..

7 hours ago, oachs83 said:

IMO yes with multiple people it's way cheaper. I'm not alone either so it helps out. Instead of paying for 3 tram/monorail tickets you just have the flat fee of a rental.

I'm only in town for just over 24 hours and I'm still renting a car. As soon as I land, I'm gonna pick up a friend and run off strip to get breakfast and hit a liquor store for cheaper cases of beer. Once I check into Ballys, I probably won't use the car again until Sunday afternoon, but the cab rides to all the places I'm going before checking in will equal the cost that I paid to rent the car. Then I'll still have the car for any running around I wanna do on Sunday if I chose. On top of that, I offered to run some people back to the airport on Sunday to save them cab fare, so the rental works for me all the way around.

Myself and my girlfriend are turning the trip into the chance to have a road trip..

We are flying into San Francisco - staying there for 2 days then driving from SF to LA and from LA to Vegas...

Does anyone have any tips for this trip ...? also I would love to rent something like a mustang .. anyone have some recommendations for a good car hire company - they also must accept debit card!

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, irishguns said:

Myself and my girlfriend are turning the trip into the chance to have a road trip..

We are flying into San Francisco - staying there for 2 days then driving from SF to LA and from LA to Vegas...

Does anyone have any tips for this trip ...? also I would love to rent something like a mustang .. anyone have some recommendations for a good car hire company - they also must accept debit card!

Thanks in advance

You are really narrowing it down if you cannot provide a credit card. Many of the places will not accept debit cards and that will hurt your chance of getting the best deals. Also most the major credit card companies got you covered as far as insurance etc. with a rental when you use your credit card therefore you can decline any coverage the rental company will give you saving more money. A debit card you will be unprotected depending on your personal insurance policy. Make sure you get a rental with unlimited miles otherwise you might as well just buy a car with that mileage fee lol. I have made the drive from San Fran to LA and if you have the time take the Pacific coast highway it is gorgeous. About a 1.5 or 2 hour drive south of SF is this beach that has tons of Elephant Seals if they are out it's pretty neat. Get a convertible if you can afford it as it is very scenic. However be prepared to drive it is a long trip.

Edited by oachs83